BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tipped over crank, should I worry?

+5
69bluehotrod
bbf-falcon
nuclearcobra
69F100
rocketpony
9 posters

Go down

Tipped over crank, should I worry? Empty Tipped over crank, should I worry?

Post  rocketpony September 24th 2014, 7:17 pm

Crank is bbf eagle 4340. Had laid on floor stood up on its end and it got knocked over unfortuantley. Floor is concrete covered by very thin carpet. There is no visible damage , can't even tell where it hit.
Should I worry about this crank?
Feel very stupid for saying this happened, I think my heart stoped when it fell
Thanks

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

Tipped over crank, should I worry? Empty Re: Tipped over crank, should I worry?

Post  69F100 September 24th 2014, 7:26 pm

I have had that to happen on a standard ome crank it did not hurt it I think you should be fine unless you drop it a few feet before it hits the floor
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra September 24th 2014, 9:33 pm

I lost one outta the back of the truck doing 70 on the freeway and it was fine..........Laughing just kidding but I have knocked one over before and it was ok , but yea you feel your chest jump for sure , the second time it ever happened I was being a fool and cracked open a nitrous bottle for some friends to see and I didn't have my footing right and lost my balance when it pushed me back into a crank which unfortunately fell on my new dominator carb Mad and got a good scrape on my back and elbow to boot Embarassed just glad I didn't loose control of the bottle.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 24th 2014, 10:25 pm

I lay mine down. But i would just check the journals good and you will be good too go. Laying them down doesn't hurt them,I assembled a 4.15 offset ground crank in a 514 combo for a guy and we dug the crank out from under a work bench where it had been for 8yrs. I took it to the machine shop and it checked out true as could be. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod September 25th 2014, 12:56 am

if it is a 4.5 stroke long snout 4340 crank ... its for sure ruined!!!!affraid best to get rid of it, I'll help ya out and take it off your hands for say...
$50.00...

all kidding aside, check it for nicks,Suspect your probablly fine...
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl September 25th 2014, 1:30 am

couldn't hurt it ,hitting it with all your mite with a 8 lb sledge on one of the counter weights!!!!
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl September 25th 2014, 1:35 am

PS to check if it's cracked = hit a counter weight with a 5 lb hammer if the crank has a ring to it it's good !! a crank with a crack sounds like hitting a nail into wood !
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 25th 2014, 1:05 pm

rocketpony wrote:Crank is bbf eagle 4340...stood up on its end and got knocked over. Floor is concrete...very thin carpet. Should I worry about this crank?
 Oh noooo!!!

That thing probably has more fractures in it than a Bakken oil field! (<---- I just made that up Laughing )
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketpony September 25th 2014, 5:09 pm

U realy think it has fractures in it? How would I check?

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 25th 2014, 5:41 pm

the Thing that totally amazes me is that you guys set it out in the floor I always put mine in a corner under the bench, SO you can't knock it over either that or hang it on a crankshaft hanger under the bench....
the way to check it for cracks or fractures it to magniflux it with wet or dry flux
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 25th 2014, 10:34 pm

If a carpeted floor cracks it,it shouldn't go in a engine anyway. If it was good before the fall, you should be fine. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 25th 2014, 11:22 pm

the Coug wrote:the Thing that totally amazes me is that you guys set it out in the floor I always put mine in a corner under the bench, SO you can't knock it over either that or hang it on a crankshaft hanger under the bench....
the way to check it for cracks or fractures it to magniflux it  with wet or dry flux
crankshaft hanger? What the flux a crankshaft hanger? Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 26th 2014, 4:00 am

rocketpony wrote:U realy think it has fractures in it? How would I check?
No, no, no.   It's a joke, hence the   "  Laughing  "

You're forged steel crankshaft is fine.....
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 26th 2014, 5:56 am

cool40 wrote:
the Coug wrote:the Thing that totally amazes me is that you guys set it out in the floor I always put mine in a corner under the bench, SO you can't knock it over either that or hang it on a crankshaft hanger under the bench....
the way to check it for cracks or fractures it to magniflux it  with wet or dry flux
crankshaft hanger? What the flux a crankshaft hanger? Razz

Well Lee I built a Crankshaft Hanger, It is either a couple heavy duty Angle Iron facing each other so you can hang the rear flange on or you can spin a crank Dampner bolt  thru a piece of steel and hang the crank from it...been doing this for like 30+ years keeps people from damaging the cranks....Lee I se a 2" square tubing with 1 " holes drilled in it to put the bolts thru cuz it will fit any dampner bolt.....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down