BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fired it up

+7
butterbean
DFI429
rmcomprandy
Mark Miller
FalconEh
gmsmkr
BigRigTech
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fired it up Empty Fired it up

Post  BigRigTech May 9th 2015, 9:23 pm

We dropped in my old 472 and fired it up today - first time since last September. Man it was nice to hear that thing bark and I forgot how much missed the smell of av gas. Time to start praying for great weather on May 22-24. Just some little stuff and cosmetic details to finish off.....Oh yeah, my flat bed trailer needs some light repairs and the generator needs an oil change....I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting....My goal for the summer is to get my 1050 domi to idle....LOL...Friggin thing either idles too low and dies or idles too damn high and gets worse the hotter she gets. It's a 9375-1 I think, I think it needs more air bleed but what do I know. Rolling Eyes
Fired it up 10641285_10153211951620867_5067961479884216153_n_zpswwqtrx2r
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Fired it up Empty Re: Fired it up

Post  gmsmkr May 9th 2015, 9:34 pm

afro  a pic with no video I'm calling it and saying it ain't so...... we need a sound clip Smile
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 9th 2015, 9:41 pm

My goddamn Iphone sat on the work bench all afternoon untouched, I pick it up, take one pic and the frigger shuts off... Mad
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 9th 2015, 9:44 pm

BigRigTech wrote:We dropped in my old 472 and fired it up today - first time since last September. Man it was nice to hear that thing bark and I forgot how much missed the smell of av gas. Time to start praying for great weather on May 22-24. Just some little stuff and cosmetic details to finish off.....Oh yeah, my flat bed trailer needs some light repairs and the generator needs an oil change....I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting....My goal for the summer is to get my 1050 domi to idle....LOL...Friggin thing either idles too low and dies or idles too damn high and gets worse the hotter she gets. It's a 9375-1 I think, I think it needs more air bleed but what do I know. Rolling Eyes

Wow It looks Great!. I love the Grabber Blue. Take a breath and break out the old check-lists, trailer bearings, gaskets, plugs, belts, tools, etc. As for the Dommi did it idle before? Cool
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 9th 2015, 9:47 pm

Nope, had it on for two races last year and it was all over the map. if I can get it to idle around 1000-1100 where I want it then all of a sudden when I get close to the burnout box and there is heat in the engine it starts to idle up and up on it's own...BUT - it doesn't do that every time either... Suspect
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 9th 2015, 9:58 pm

Does it have PV if so what PSI, are the transfer slots set correctly, mixture settings will not work if the transfer slots are wrong, the PV is wrong, or the timing is wrong.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 9th 2015, 10:08 pm

No power valves in a 9375-1. The timing was set at 38* on the dyno and that's where we run it at. 17* base timing with a 21* bushing. I never played with it too much last summer but I want to get it right this year. Wink
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 9th 2015, 10:19 pm

Then I would look at the air bleeds (+), and check to see if it is siphoning fuel on shutoff.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 9th 2015, 10:26 pm

I haven't seen any evidence of fuel siphoning at all when it's shut down. I was watching for that as we set up the floats and fuel pressure.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller May 10th 2015, 1:10 am

BigRigTech wrote:We dropped in my old 472 and fired it up today - first time since last September. Man it was nice to hear that thing bark and I forgot how much missed the smell of av gas. Time to start praying for great weather on May 22-24. Just some little stuff and cosmetic details to finish off.....Oh yeah, my flat bed trailer needs some light repairs and the generator needs an oil change....I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting....My goal for the summer is to get my 1050 domi to idle....LOL...Friggin thing either idles too low and dies or idles too damn high and gets worse the hotter she gets. It's a 9375-1 I think, I think it needs more air bleed but what do I know. Rolling Eyes

Does that mean all the snow is finally melted!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 10th 2015, 7:16 am

YUP, there is still some snow in the woods but there is none in my yard...LOL...The huge piles in the parking lots at the box stores are finally gone too. Over in PEI they cancelled the 1st race next weekend because the snow has melted but the area around the track is a soaking wet mess and it won't dry up in time. The May long weekend is the start of the race season here in the Maritimes and PEI is always the first race everyone is frothing to get too. Wink...So our first race here at Greenfield is gonna be a zoo.Very Happy
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 10th 2015, 11:51 am

Sounds as if the ignition timing curve is coming "in & out" to vary the idle speed.

Put heavy springs in it to verify.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 May 10th 2015, 12:51 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Sounds as if the ignition timing curve is coming "in & out" to vary the idle speed.

That's what I was thinking.. 17 & 38 is a lot too
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  butterbean May 10th 2015, 8:31 pm

I would take the 21* advance out and make it like 10-12* with the heavy springs so it will idle!!!!!
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 10th 2015, 9:20 pm

It has the lightest springs in it. We played with the timing on the dyno and it kept making nice gains the more timing we threw at it. We stopped at 38 and that's were I've run it for the last 4 yrs. The idle issue started when I put a little more cam in it and the 1050 on top. The 850DP would idle no problem and stay where you put it with the same MSD dizzy exactly as it is now. Suspect
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  butterbean May 10th 2015, 9:40 pm

BigRigTech wrote:It has the lightest springs in it. We played with the timing on the dyno and it kept making nice gains the more timing we threw at it. We stopped at 38 and that's were I've run it for the last 4 yrs. The idle issue started when I put a little more cam in it and the 1050 on top. The 850DP would idle no problem and stay where you put it with the same MSD dizzy exactly as it is now. Suspect

with the light springs at idle they will let the timing move around thats why its not idling if you put the heavy springs in it the timing will stay still until a higher rpm so it will idle, you said the same settings for 4 years?? did you just get those heads from freelander last year or so?? the aluminum heads don't like as much timing as the cast heads, and you have 21* advance in your dizzy do you really need that much??? its a race car rite not a street car, I think if you put less curve in the dizzy it will work better, most people lock out there dizzy (me included) and run less timing with aluminum heads, JMO!!!

by the way love the paint job!!!!!

Last edited by butterbean on May 10th 2015, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added)
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 10th 2015, 10:23 pm

I love the paint too but I've only had the chance to see it in the sunlight one time...LOL....I'm game to try changing the springs. Very Happy I did some reading online and I see your guys point on the light springs. Should I have it with both the heavy springs or one heavy and one medium? My 2 step is set at 3600rpm and my converter stalls at 5000rpm. Anymore in the two step and she dances around off the line due to my cheap ass rear suspension. 1faststang had this carb on his engine and he complained about the same issue when he had it. Now I gotta dig in my spare parts tickle trunk and find my msd springs... Rolling Eyes I'll have to dig out the dyno sheets and see what the numbers were with the different timing numbers. I think we tried 34, 36 and 38. What are you suggesting for a total timing?
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug May 11th 2015, 7:36 am

DFI429 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:Sounds as if the ignition timing curve is coming "in & out" to vary the idle speed.

That's what I was thinking.. 17 & 38 is a lot too

Whats Funny is NOT all Engines like low Timing, just because a lot of the engines on here have 30* timing Doesn't mean they all want it...I have seen it up to 40* and as low as 30* there is not a magic number you have to play with it to find out what yours wants...
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 11th 2015, 9:33 am

It liked 38* on the dyno last July with the current combo.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  butterbean May 11th 2015, 10:41 am

this is what I would do, if the dyno said 38* is what it likes then I would recurve the dizzy to have only 10* advance with the heavy springs so when it idles its at 28* and when its on the 2 step its at 38* total that way it should idle fine, does it have a power valve???
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 11th 2015, 10:18 pm

I found my heavy springs so I changed them out tonight. When I run it up to temp on the weekend I'll set the timing and see how it acts.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 11th 2015, 10:31 pm

Whats wrong with running it up tomorrow Suspect
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 11th 2015, 10:47 pm

I have to work and I have assholes for neighbours on one side. They have a supreme hate on for use over school yard kids shit that happened between our very young children....It's so petty it's beyond retarded....We had to call the cops a week ago over this. If I run it between 8-4:30pm there is nothing they can do according to the bylaw officer and I need him on my side until our new pool is done. Rolling Eyes If I had my way I would have tuned up the arsehole a week ago when he peeled my mother in-law who was out for a walk minding her own business.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 12th 2015, 11:38 am

He did WHAT to your mother-in-law??
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech May 12th 2015, 1:51 pm

Came out cursing, swear and uttering death threats while she was out for a walk....Real tough guy picking on a sweet heart 60yr old women....He did it to try and sucker me into a fight and I didn't bite. I'm smarter then that guy, he's slowly making it easier for the cops to have a beef with him but none with me.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next