BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaving the race scene and building a gasser

+6
kim
gmsmkr
whatbumper
supervel45
dr's wife racing
2POWERADDERS
10 posters

Go down

leaving the race scene and building a gasser Empty leaving the race scene and building a gasser

Post  2POWERADDERS July 7th 2015, 9:27 pm

I am in the process of getting rid of my race car and building a street car, I picked up a 51 Henry j to have some fun in, I am leaning towards a 460 and a 4 speed, the front end is pretty much complete and i just started on the 9 inch in the rear with ladderbars and koni coil overs, My engine builder is giving me a stock rebuild 460 and i have a big input top loader..... i am gonna need a cam and intake for the 460.... I dont know what year or head casting yet but im hoping for something fun in my new 2500 pound car...any suggestions are welcome
2POWERADDERS
2POWERADDERS

Back to top Go down

leaving the race scene and building a gasser Empty Re: leaving the race scene and building a gasser

Post  dr's wife racing July 7th 2015, 10:19 pm

I like it a lot !!!
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

leaving the race scene and building a gasser Empty Re: leaving the race scene and building a gasser

Post  supervel45 July 7th 2015, 10:35 pm

Will need alot more info. From what little you described I would recommend a Edelbrock Victor, because the car is so light, and you may want to upgrade the combo later with it, even if it is a little more intake than you need. As for a cam, if you are on a budget I would go solid flat tappet for much street use, depending on your goal. I think if you put alot more information up you will get more responses. A Gasser really looks cool with a tunnel ram, so you might go that way also.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 8th 2015, 10:07 am

leaving the race scene and building a gasser Image10

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing July 8th 2015, 12:32 pm

But you don't have to stop racing. Check out the photos from the ford race. They were having a blast !
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr July 8th 2015, 5:00 pm

I vote tunnel ram with a solid tappet cam ..... I think this will be bad a*#
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  kim July 8th 2015, 6:12 pm

Im pro tunnel ram, although if truly a street toy, that kinsler with EFI is some trick shit to get you lots of hood open props..... and great driveability. Not that a tunnel and twins is soo difficult.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 8th 2015, 10:07 pm

Are you willing to spend any money on the heads? Can you find out the casting number of the heads, or what year engine?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 9th 2015, 7:06 am

We got one in the planning stages too. Going to run with the Straight Axle Mafia when we get er done!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 9th 2015, 7:14 am

8 or 10/71 gets my vote!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

leaving the race scene and building a gasser Empty Love it!

Post  747JetMech July 9th 2015, 12:49 pm

Someday I would like to get one together ( 64 Comet ) for cruising around town. Nothing else stops traffic like a straight axle beast driving by.
Have some friends that installed the Speedway Motors kit on a older chevy...
747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Post  2POWERADDERS July 11th 2015, 5:08 pm

ok i picked up the FREE engine today, this is my starting point...

D00E rods
D3VE PISTONS
D3VE heads
D1VE block
2 YABC crank

stock cam, oilpump, balancer, waterpump, rockers, etc etc etc

I need to source a cam and lifters and a intake
this will be matched with a toploader 4 speed trans

any suggestions...

the heads have rust in the runners so should i look for a set that is already done? on the cheap?

thanks again for the input
2POWERADDERS
2POWERADDERS

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 11th 2015, 5:52 pm

https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1680&gid=287 This should work good with stock D3 heads. If you can get them hot tanked for not too much, I would go that route, and see how they clean up. A Performer RPM or Air Gap RPM and a 850 Holley on top. You will be in the mid 8/1 compression range with your parts, so I would build on the mild side. A Weiand tunnel ram with 2 600 Holley's would still work, if you wanted some bling to go with the image.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 July 12th 2015, 7:08 pm

2POWERADDERS wrote:I am in the process of getting rid of my race car and building a street car, I picked up a 51 Henry j to have some fun in, I am leaning towards a 460 and a 4 speed, the front end is pretty much complete and i just started on the 9 inch in the rear with ladderbars and koni coil overs, My engine builder is giving me a stock rebuild 460 and i have a big input top loader..... i am gonna need a cam and intake for the 460.... I dont know what year or head casting yet but im hoping for something fun in my new 2500 pound car...any suggestions are welcome

Where are you located? Do a search for Southeast Gassers. Quain Stott runs a group with period correct gassers. They put on a great show.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  2POWERADDERS July 13th 2015, 8:22 pm

picked up my trans today it has a tag on it RUG-M1??? toploader 4 speed
2POWERADDERS
2POWERADDERS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down