BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaking valve covers

+2
bbf-falcon
BIGBLOCKBOE
6 posters

Go down

leaking valve covers Empty leaking valve covers

Post  BIGBLOCKBOE September 8th 2015, 5:06 pm

Looking for ideas . I have a solid roller motor with D9 block comp cam and lifters A429 heads . i have had issues with running out of oil on the brakes and on the big end . freshened motor back up and put accusump on and that issue is good howeaver nagging oil leak is driving me crazy mostly on the passenger side . i have tried 2 different sets of valve covers and 2 different sets of gaskets im sure valve covers are taking on too much oil . i checked drivers side just idling and pumped oil all over the fenderwells . anyone run into this . valve covers are each run to a breather with 12an . Thanks

BIGBLOCKBOE

Back to top Go down

leaking valve covers Empty Re: leaking valve covers

Post  bbf-falcon September 8th 2015, 6:35 pm

2 items that solved my problem were,COMETIC gaskets and a vacumn pump. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBLOCKBOE September 8th 2015, 7:11 pm

i tried one of the electric vacume pumps but it pulled too much oil and im using the edelbrock composite gaskets they look like a soft composite material. maybe ill try the cometic gasket

BIGBLOCKBOE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 8th 2015, 10:55 pm

Do the oil drain back holes in the head line up with the gasket and block?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 8th 2015, 11:38 pm

What lifters...?  Do they happen to be small block lifters with big block tie-bars...?

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 9th 2015, 1:23 am

^^^^^^^^^ Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain September 9th 2015, 7:53 am

rmcomprandy wrote:What lifters...?  Do they happen to be small block lifters with big block tie-bars...?

Or are they the right lifters but installed in the block backwards?

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBLOCKBOE September 9th 2015, 5:49 pm

not installed backwards , bars to the inside . comp 836 lifters for bbf bought new. holes do line up but oil doesnt really have a good drain path to the hole its like it has to puddle up then make it over a hump to drain. gasket does very slightly hang over hole a little

BIGBLOCKBOE

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 10th 2015, 12:13 am

BIGBLOCKBOE wrote:i tried one of the electric vacume pumps but it pulled too much oil and im using the edelbrock composite gaskets they look like a soft composite material. maybe ill try the cometic gasket

You will need baffle plates in the VC's even with evac tubes.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain September 10th 2015, 7:41 am

BIGBLOCKBOE wrote:not installed backwards , bars to the inside . comp 836 lifters for bbf bought new. holes do line up but oil doesnt really have a good drain path to the hole its like it has to puddle up then make it over a hump to drain. gasket does very slightly hang over hole a little

Last summer it was discovered that some of the Comp Cams 836 lifter bodies are machined incorrectly and the relief above the roller wheel is cut too high. This causes it to intersect the oil galley and dump an uncontrolled amount of oil into the crankcase. Now they have a different lifter set for the big Ford.

I had a customer bring in a new set of Comp Cams roller lifters one time and they had one Windsor small block body in the set.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBLOCKBOE September 11th 2015, 11:00 pm

i have came to the realization the cobra jet A429 heads really have poor draining . the valve pockets create a big hinderence for the return of oil . with the valve cover off pouring oil in the head oil almost runs over the rail before it makes it over the exhaust valve spring pocket to the drain holes . thanks for the help everyone!

BIGBLOCKBOE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down