BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How important are dyno numbers?

+4
richter69
Nevs
billandlori
inbred-jed
8 posters

Go down

How important are dyno numbers? Empty How important are dyno numbers?

Post  inbred-jed November 26th 2009, 9:28 pm

Just wondering how important dyno numbers are when it comes to having a torque convertor built to your application. Is it even worth the bother or should i put my money somewhere else and tune it on the quarter mile?
inbred-jed
inbred-jed

Back to top Go down

How important are dyno numbers? Empty Re: How important are dyno numbers?

Post  billandlori November 26th 2009, 9:42 pm

I would think that your converter guy would be able to tune your T/C better with dyno info. Not much tuning you can do at the track to a T/C, just replace it....

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 26th 2009, 9:53 pm

inbred-jed wrote:Just wondering how important dyno numbers are when it comes to having a torque convertor built to your application. Is it even worth the bother or should i put my money somewhere else and tune it on the quarter mile?

Very important. Without the dyno numbers, your converter guy is just using an educated guess. With them he should be able to hit it the first time. Money well spent in my opinion for a number of reasons beyond the converter.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 26th 2009, 10:38 pm

I've been pretty lucky, Lenny at UCC has always hit my converters dead on without dyno numbers, but that said I'd still get it done, then tune the overall combo at the track.

Blake had his numbers and it still took his converter guy 5 tries to get it right.

Goes to show just because you have the numbers does not mean the converter will be correct the first time, or if you dont have them that it could be right.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 26th 2009, 11:09 pm

So much easier to tune on the dyno, it removes a lot of variables. Once you have the motor dialed in it is so much easier to tune the rest of the combo. As far as the T/C, I will never buy anything but a UCC again. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 27th 2009, 1:02 am

From what I've seen ... they are a whole lot more important than air flow numbers and most people who don't know any better think the flow numbers are Godly.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

How important are dyno numbers? Empty my opinion

Post  bigjohn2007 November 27th 2009, 1:37 am

i think there good for the peak hp and tuning can be done before it put in the car that will let you tell the converter man where you will shift for peak hp and rpm range plus trying to tune a motor at the track can be a nightmare. it not just one thing you can tune the carb,timing,and broke in which is very important. just ask yourself would it be easer to fix something in the car or out cause thing don't alway go right i don't care who you are.the rule of thumb on a engine dyno is you will lose 16% throw the drivetrain sometime more according to the slipage in the converter.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans November 27th 2009, 1:54 am

I think they are very important. Especially the torque numbers and where the peaks are occuring. As for horsepower, with your 598 CID C-460 headed engine,,,you should be right around 1060 Hp.

Hope this helps,

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down