BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water injection???

+7
Maddmattmustangs
511Fox
bb429power
77f150
bruno
the Coug
JoeH_88
11 posters

Go down

Water injection??? Empty Water injection???

Post  JoeH_88 November 27th 2009, 2:43 pm

Has anyone used water injection with nitrous? If so what were the results?
Thanks in advance for any input!

JoeH_88

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty Re: Water injection???

Post  the Coug November 27th 2009, 2:45 pm

the Question is WHY? water injection was to cool the cylinders to keep them from Detonation from what I gathered from it. Just curious....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno November 27th 2009, 9:34 pm

something i read Randy and Joe :

Making More Power with Water?

"How compatible are nitrous oxide and water injection?" That is currently the most asked question on the Nitrous Supply tech line. Because of that, I'm dedicating this month's entire column to nitrous and water injection.

For starters, nitrous oxide injection and water injection are very compatible because one enhances and complements the other. In fact, the addition of water injection to your nitrous setup is currently the most logical, most efficient, most economical solution to improved nitrous efficiencies, eventually leading to increased power.

Based on my more than 25 years of experience in researching, developing and perfecting nitrous oxide injection it is a proven fact that only "things" that burn can produce horsepower - "things" that don't burn do not make horsepower. So, the obvious question here is, "How can adding a water-injection system to my nitrous setup make any additional horsepower as water does not burn?" Very true! But, a water injection unit does create improved efficiencies that, ultimately, help your nitrous system produce additional power. Basically, here is the way it works: To make more horsepower we know we have to burn more fuel, so we introduce more fuel into the engine. But, to burn the additional fuel you need to bring in more nitrous. More nitrous comes from the simple installation of bigger jets. But, by burning more fuel, cylinder pressure increases dramatically, while also creating much more heat. With more heat in the cylinder the need arises to get rid of it before it starts to cause detonation of the fuel and/or before it soaks into all of the major components, like the heads, the block and the pistons. An engine gets rid of its heat by transferring heat through the heads, block and pistons into the water jackets and, ultimately, into the radiator. However, most of the heat is dispersed through the exhaust. Consequently, it makes logical sense to introduce something into the engine that will become part of the exhaust process and dissipate heat quickly. That "something" is water injected into an engine by an efficient water-injection unit.

For more on water injection and its compatibility with nitrous oxide, I've enlisted the expertise of Matt Snow of Snow Performance. Snow Performance is currently recognized as the leader in water-injection technology and specializes in producing high quality, power efficient, water-methanol injection systems. According to Matt Snow, the biggest benefit of combining water-methanol injection with nitrous oxide is you can run full timing with increased amounts of nitrous and not have to worry about "hot pockets" or detonation. Water-methanol injection can also increase engine efficiencies in terms of miles per gallon, in addition to producing more power. According to Matt, water-methanol injection and nitrous oxide are the perfect 1-2 combination for producing additional, efficient horsepower. When water-methanol injection is combined with nitrous oxide more fuel can be burned, more nitrous can be used, and more power is created. While detonation is minimized, timing does not have to be retarded, combustion is slowed down (similar to the effect of using high-octane fuel) and cylinder pressure and heat are controlled. Basically, with a Snow water-methanol injection system your nitrous setup will become much more efficient, while ultimately, producing much more power.

So, the answer is, yes, water injection is very compatible with nitrous oxide and should be combined with any/all nitrous setups for the ultimate in efficient power gains.

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 November 27th 2009, 10:19 pm

I installed a SNOW Performance Water/Methanol kit this spring and was blown away by the difference. I previously had to cut my fuel on the street with Av Gas to prevent detonation, now with a tank filled with -49 windshield wiper fluid (50% water, 49% methanol and 1% detergent) I can keep my timing in and pound on the truck without worry. I've got plate for the nitrous jetted at 180hp and will get it on the dyno again in the spring to sort out the best jet for the water/methanol. I would have had it sorted out sooner but the law makers up here claim you're a street racer if you have your bottle hooked up on the street Sad . The folks at SNOW Performance are great to deal with also.
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeH_88 November 29th 2009, 4:51 pm

77f150 wrote:I installed a SNOW Performance Water/Methanol kit this spring and was blown away by the difference. I previously had to cut my fuel on the street with Av Gas to prevent detonation, now with a tank filled with -49 windshield wiper fluid (50% water, 49% methanol and 1% detergent) I can keep my timing in and pound on the truck without worry. I've got plate for the nitrous jetted at 180hp and will get it on the dyno again in the spring to sort out the best jet for the water/methanol. I would have had it sorted out sooner but the law makers up here claim you're a street racer if you have your bottle hooked up on the street Sad . The folks at SNOW Performance are great to deal with also.
Thanks for your reply. Please keep us updated on the testing with the water injection and nitrous.

JoeH_88

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeH_88 December 1st 2009, 7:09 am

Does anyone else have any input on this?
Thanks!

JoeH_88

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 December 4th 2009, 10:17 am

Mike Thermos at Nitrous Supply is working with SNOW Performance on this and will help if you give him a call (714 373-1986). This is from doing searches myself and reading the work he has done. This is also not taking anything away from Steve Johnson who has done amazing work with his nitrous setups.
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 15th 2010, 12:05 pm

So wait, you run your engine on wiper fluid? scratch
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 February 15th 2010, 4:06 pm

bb429power wrote:So wait, you run your engine on wiper fluid? scratch

Yes! and it loves it!
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty H2O+Methanol+N2O

Post  511Fox February 20th 2010, 10:23 am

I just read a piece in Hot Rod mag about using Nitrous& Water/Methanol Injection to allow a pump gas motor to take BIG hits of "Juice".

I would love to read more about this. Twisted Evil affraid

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty Water/Methanol + E-85?

Post  511Fox February 20th 2010, 10:25 am

Would this system work with E-85? Question Very Happy

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs February 25th 2010, 3:11 pm

This system works very well when running high compression engines as well on the street.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty water injection

Post  blown473 February 25th 2010, 5:32 pm

Water/alky injection works great in any boosted or nitrous application , or if your running high compression on the street and having knock issues. I've been using one of the old discontinued Edelbrock Vara-jection systems for years on my blown motor. When I removed the chokes on the carbs , I made some brass tubes to take the place of the old choke butterfly shafts and drilled them with holes like a nitrous spray bar , I have a 2 gallon aluminum moon tank the pump draws from that runs to a moroso blue cool can with ice in it, and on up to a fuel log to split to the carbs. Works really well even when its 105 degree summer day here and I'm running pump gas. You can home make a simple effective system using a windshield washer pump, and using a nitrous throttle switch to activate it . During WW2 Pratt & Whitney fitted the Thunderbolt fighter's R2800 engine with water injection that kicked on as soon as it went to full throttle (war emergency power) These were highly boosted turbo supercharged engines , and the manufacturer said it not only saved the motors but added a staggering 500 hp as well!!
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  511Fox March 4th 2010, 3:42 pm

Anyone worked with these folks Question

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/

They had a basic but well written article about using Nitrous Oxide injection + Water/Methanol Injection.

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 March 4th 2010, 4:25 pm

blown473 wrote:Water/alky injection works great in any boosted or nitrous application , or if your running high compression on the street and having knock issues. I've been using one of the old discontinued Edelbrock Vara-jection systems for years on my blown motor. When I removed the chokes on the carbs , I made some brass tubes to take the place of the old choke butterfly shafts and drilled them with holes like a nitrous spray bar , I have a 2 gallon aluminum moon tank the pump draws from that runs to a moroso blue cool can with ice in it, and on up to a fuel log to split to the carbs. Works really well even when its 105 degree summer day here and I'm running pump gas. You can home make a simple effective system using a windshield washer pump, and using a nitrous throttle switch to activate it . During WW2 Pratt & Whitney fitted the Thunderbolt fighter's R2800 engine with water injection that kicked on as soon as it went to full throttle (war emergency power) These were highly boosted turbo supercharged engines , and the manufacturer said it not only saved the motors but added a staggering 500 hp as well!!

moe info please and some pics. like what size wholes in the tube and dose it just squrt or spay????? dose it run all the time you drive on street or do ya just give it shot every now and then??? im building a blower motor for the street also.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty Water injection

Post  blown473 March 4th 2010, 7:02 pm

I will try and take some pics and post them. The brass tubes have very small holes in them, it injects more like a mist than a squirt. I just changed the activator from the throttle linkage to a button on my hurst shifter handle, my trucks a 4 speed this allows me to activate it at any throttle position also. I'm surprised more people don't use these systems, as they are proven and have been around forever. A simple home built kit can be done with wrecking yard parts. It might not be a fancy as the electronic ones on the market today, but will still be very effective. Greg Very Happy
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 March 4th 2010, 7:14 pm

If you do some general searches with google you'll find articles on building homemade units. As well if you have the money to spend there are several good manufactures with purpose built kits that have adjustable boost referenced programers. The only thing I would recommend is a decent size tank for your water/methanol, the little bottles they supply will last one tank of gas at best.
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty more on water injection

Post  blown473 March 4th 2010, 8:03 pm

A good size tank is a plus, and keeping the water/alky as cool as possible helps, so find a good location. I have a truck so I put a 2 gal aluminum "Moon "tank back there, coated the inside to deter the alky corrosion, (not necessary with a plastic tank). You can take a long trip with this set up.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  rodknox302 March 8th 2010, 11:29 pm

I've ran water methanol injection with nitrous. You basically tie it right into the nitrous system so that when you fire off the nitrous you activate both the water injection and nitrous. The water injection doesn't burn as someone was mentioning earlier. Yet it does slow down the burn rate of the fuel, giving you a more controlled burn, essentially acting as an octane enhancer and helping to eliminate chances of detonation. Check out this new kit by AIS.

Water injection??? Stage_1_trunk_lghttp://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/p101/Stage-1-Competition-Trunk-Mount-Water-Methanol-Injection-System/product_info.html

rodknox302

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty ????

Post  511Fox March 9th 2010, 4:53 pm

RodKNox302,are you feeding the engine Straight Methanol + Water or Window Washer fluid Question

This thread is Boss Exclamation

I think N2O has evened the playing field with Turbos & Centrifugals.

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  rodknox302 March 9th 2010, 5:42 pm

511Fox wrote:RodKNox302,are you feeding the engine Straight Methanol + Water or Window Washer fluid Question

This thread is Boss Exclamation

I think N2O has evened the playing field with Turbos & Centrifugals.

Im spraying -20 washer fluid (30% methanol) so it doesn't effect air fuel much at all. No need to change fuel jets on the nitrous side. Plus, if the water methanol injection didn't fire off your not losing any of your fuel.

rodknox302

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty -20 Window Washer Fluid

Post  511Fox March 9th 2010, 5:47 pm

I bet this (-20 Window Washer Fluid) is easier to come by than straight Methanol Exclamation

RodKnox302 How much "Juice" you use'n Question

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  rddogoli March 24th 2010, 7:38 am

I was wondering if this water injection system works with racing fuel like 116octaine, i see most the posts say methanol, isn't that actually alcohal not gas? just wondering, don't know much about this stuff.
rddogoli
rddogoli

Back to top Go down

Water injection??? Empty fuels/water injection

Post  blown473 March 24th 2010, 7:16 pm

Water injection and alky refer to mixing the 2 in the water injection tank. Both cool the intake charge, the alky adds some octane too. As for your engine you can power it on what ever you want, gas, alky, propane, diesel , race gas, whatever... Very Happy
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 30th 2010, 5:47 pm

here are some good tech reads from that same site
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/Tech-Articles/t7/articles.html

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down