BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SO Piston Recommendations/Thoughts

5 posters

Go down

SO Piston Recommendations/Thoughts  Empty SO Piston Recommendations/Thoughts

Post  FalconEh May 16th 2016, 9:54 pm

Street/Strip FRPP 4.3/2.5/6.605 stroker kit SCJB heads, D9TE less than 500 Nitrous (strip) Victor/1050 Dommi CM-6250-A514 roller, 1.8 RAR, drag week style build will be streeted and needs to run on pump gas + small fuel cell for nitrous. It appears the blocks I have will not clean up tight enough at .030 for the included -28cc pistons so I could acquire another block, but I am thinking I can go to 4.42 and maybe increase the cu/in and improve the quench with something more D shaped than the full dish FRPP pistons. Also thinking I can go -18cc for around an mid 11CR

Last edited by FalconEh on May 24th 2016, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

SO Piston Recommendations/Thoughts  Empty Re: SO Piston Recommendations/Thoughts

Post  rmcomprandy May 17th 2016, 12:04 am

FalconEh wrote:Street/Strip FRPP 4.3/2.5/6.605 stroker kit SCJB heads, D9TE less than 500 Nitrous (strip) Victor/1050 Dommi CM-6250-A514 roller, 1.8 RAR, drag week style build will be streeted and needs to run on pump gas + small fuel cell for nitrous. It appears the blocks I have will not clean up tight enough at .030 for the included -28cc pistons so I could acquire another block, but I am thinking I can go to 4.42 and maybe increase the cu/in and improve the quench with something more D shaped than the full dish FRPP pistons. Also thinking I can go -18cc for around an mid 11CR

You need to make some decisions regarding the actual compression ratio you want and how much money you are willing to spend.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

SO Piston Recommendations/Thoughts  Empty Re: SO Piston Recommendations/Thoughts

Post  gt350hr May 17th 2016, 10:50 am

For 500 hp of NOS make sure the piston is 2618 alloy and the ring lands are spaced accordingly. Quench is more important on iron heads than the modern aluminum designs. Detonation damage is usually brought on by "tune up" , not quench related conditions seen in NA engines. Pressurized NOS and extra fuel enhances "mixture motion" beyond the NA conditions.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 17th 2016, 12:32 pm

D9 blocks are still in cheap abundance. Considering that you have the stroker kit go find another block that will go plus .030 this will save you money.
A pump gas build with 500 hose is a bit extreme. If you keep your block and can clean up at .040 that will be much better than going .060
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick May 17th 2016, 3:04 pm

500 hp pump gas build is relatively easy these days
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 17th 2016, 8:23 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
FalconEh wrote:Street/Strip FRPP 4.3/2.5/6.605 stroker kit SCJB heads, D9TE less than 500 Nitrous (strip) Victor/1050 Dommi CM-6250-A514 roller, 1.8 RAR, drag week style build will be streeted and needs to run on pump gas + small fuel cell for nitrous. It appears the blocks I have will not clean up tight enough at .030 for the included -28cc pistons so I could acquire another block, but I am thinking I can go to 4.42 and maybe increase the cu/in and improve the quench with something more D shaped than the full dish FRPP pistons. Also thinking I can go -18cc for around an mid 11CR

You need to make some decisions regarding the actual compression ratio you want and how much money you are willing to spend.

Actual 11-ish will stay below 7000rpm -22 for 11.07 may be more reasonable than -18, willing to spend more if alterations, coatings etc. are going to contribute to a better performing more reliable package.

gt350hr wrote:    For 500 hp of NOS make sure the piston is 2618 alloy and the ring lands are spaced accordingly. Quench is more important on iron heads than the modern aluminum designs. Detonation damage is usually brought on by "tune up" , not quench related conditions seen in NA engines. Pressurized NOS and extra fuel enhances "mixture motion" beyond the NA conditions.

below 500, yes sir 2618 alloy, tune thanks.

Dave De wrote:D9 blocks are still in cheap abundance. Considering that you have the stroker kit go find another block that will go plus .030 this will save you money.
A pump gas build with 500 hose is a bit extreme. If you keep your block and can clean up at .040 that will be much better than going .060

Right on point, I have been watching for blocks for a few months but they are not popping up in my area, I could junk an early-mid 80's 460 powered greasy rust bucket but would prefer just a block or a short block or buy pistons. I have one that will clean up at .040 and 523 is ok, likely keep it to 350 and under on the hose but want a little margin built in for that set on kill situation.

John Myrick wrote:500 hp pump gas build is relatively easy these days

Bottle, plate and 4-solenoids lol
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 24th 2016, 10:05 pm

No need to look for pistons or a D9 block any more, I bought a long block with trans a few years ago and the seller thought it was a 473" but it had a 700 holley and a dual plane intake so I wasn't so sure so I decided to tear it down this weekend and never have I been as happy to see it was only .020 over with hyper pistons LOL. It did have adjustable DOVE heads, roller rockers (new) C9AE-B rods, and a CJ C6 W/ new converter, so I did not lose on the deal anyway but I now have the needed block, it looks good and should be no problem being serviceable at .030
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 24th 2016, 10:32 pm

COOL over the top.
How high are you going to spin this?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 24th 2016, 10:41 pm

Dave De wrote:COOL over the top.
How high are you going to spin this?

I want to keep it under 7000 more like 6700 or less, need to get the bat out and grow the tire a bit the gears may be too tall.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down