BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Converter spacing question

+4
richter69
cool40
maverick
FalconEh
8 posters

Go down

Converter spacing question Empty Converter spacing question

Post  dr's wife racing May 18th 2016, 10:10 pm

I'm having with converter spacing. It is a Reid case glide. Converter is supposed to be spaced correctly for mid plate. Short story long. When I bolt everything together I have 50 thousands clearence converter pads to flywheel. Is this enough?? Thanks for your help.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Converter spacing question Empty Re: Converter spacing question

Post  cool40 May 18th 2016, 10:17 pm

It will work but more would be nice,like twice that! Do you have the stock spacer plate on It too?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 18th 2016, 10:27 pm

I do have a factory spacer plate. Converter was supposed to be cut down where I did not have to use any extra spacers. It was just out recently to be flushed and respaced. I have another spacer plate that is 80 thou. But it is already in the car. I should have checked closer while on the floor.

Last edited by dr's wife racing on May 18th 2016, 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 18th 2016, 10:29 pm

Should be able to lose the factory spacer for an additional 1/16"
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 18th 2016, 10:48 pm

No it does not have enough spacing.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 18th 2016, 10:55 pm

Ok add another factory plate would slightly more than double the not enough spacing

Last edited by FalconEh on May 18th 2016, 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 18th 2016, 10:57 pm

I'd like to see more space, too. 1/8" is good imo. Much less than that in a car as fast as yours is probably inviting pump troubles. Since you've already had enough tranny woes...... Wink
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 18th 2016, 11:05 pm

maverick wrote:I'd like to see more space, too.  1/8" is good imo.  Much less than that in a car as fast as yours is probably inviting pump troubles.  Since you've already had enough tranny woes...... Wink
that's my thinking also.if it's 800 hp NA bracket car I'd run it but I don't figure that's what this is. Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 19th 2016, 8:27 am

1/8 min 3 /16 max, ran my last one at .100" w no issues but thats as tight as Id run one.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 May 19th 2016, 11:20 am

I'm running two spacer plates now on mine. I, as Fabio said never run under .100 or more than .1875.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 19th 2016, 2:08 pm

cool40 wrote:
maverick wrote:I'd like to see more space, too.  1/8" is good imo.  Much less than that in a car as fast as yours is probably inviting pump troubles.  Since you've already had enough tranny woes...... Wink
that's my thinking also.if it's 800 hp NA bracket car I'd run it but I don't figure that's what this is. Suspect

It had 333 and 1/3 HP at last dyno check. But that was spraying three kits. I had to take one off to be legal Laughing Maybe I can still get it ready for the heads up race.

Looks like I'll be pulling it to add a spacer. Sounds like I have the same issue as you Blake. I'm not sure what is going on with PTC and their spacing. I carried all the info of spacer thickness ect. to have it cut down when I had the trans back up there. I wasn't supposed to have to run anything but mid plate.  I should have checked it before I put it in the car. BUT! They shouldn't have missed it this time.  I'm real frustrated with them. Over all this abut 5 weeks they have cost me on this build. confused  Should have been simple
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 19th 2016, 11:12 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:
cool40 wrote:

It had 333 and 1/3 HP at last dyno check. But that was spraying three kits. I had to take one off to be legal Laughing  Maybe I can still get it ready for the heads up race.

Looks like I'll be pulling it to add a spacer. Sounds like I have the same issue as you Blake. I'm not sure what is going on with PTC and their spacing. I carried all the info of spacer thickness ect. to have it cut down when I had the trans back up there. I wasn't supposed to have to run anything but mid plate.  I should have checked it before I put it in the car. BUT! They shouldn't have missed it this time.  I'm real frustrated with them. Over all this abut 5 weeks they have cost me on this build. confused  Should have been simple
i tell them I don't run a mid plate! I can add a washer but can't make more room when it ain't there to get. I've had a lot of converters from them,even the same one cut open and checked, and they are NEVER the same! Great folks and they will fix whatever they have to but damn! It's almost like buying alternators from autozone..... Rolling Eyes
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 20th 2016, 3:10 pm

Well I spent all yesterday evening dropping the trans and putting all the spacers back in. I now have 110 thou clearence. Same as I started with before I had the converter respaced so I would not have to use a bunch of spacers. It will work, but tons of work for nothing. I'm not into Internet bashing but I'll talk to kenny next time I see him at the track. This shouldnt be junk. There is is 4 grand of trans stuff here. They had 2 shots at getting it right. That's not even mentioning the trans failed on the 4 th pass
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 20th 2016, 7:58 pm

Good luck! You only have one more converter swap to go before its right if your luck is anything like mine. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 20th 2016, 11:24 pm

May e not. I hope to try it out tomorrow night.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 21st 2016, 12:09 am

Take a look a the contact on the starter gear if it is shallow than you may have to cut the starter portion off of the second plate.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 21st 2016, 11:37 am

When we build a converter we cut it more and allow for spacers for specific fitment unless we have a detailed spec sheet to go by. I'm not implying that you didn't give enough detail just stating what we do. I try and shoot for the .125 range.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 May 21st 2016, 8:03 pm

Oops
Just saw this post. Too late, but I make bellhousing spacers with the starter hole for this exact issue.
Sorry too late.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 22nd 2016, 2:17 am

Well the update on the converter is it all worked out in the end. It was spot on as far as what I need stall wise. Trans woked good with no issues. Car picked up 6 mph over the best it ran before they went back thru every thing. It is about where it should be on motor. Now I can start a NOS tune.
David C. Had the Bird out tonight as well. It was running good as always. Mike thanks for the help.
I felt a huge monkey get off my back tonight. It was all the sudden fun again. My buddy Flop won the small tiers shoot out in the punisher car. It was a good night at the track.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 23rd 2016, 8:28 pm

Congratulations, Ward. I know how frustrated you must have been.

Glad to hear you had aa good night at the track...while I was stinking up the place at Atmore. Rolling Eyes Laughing
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 23rd 2016, 9:35 pm

Thanks it was fun night at the track. Hope i get a chance to pump it up a bit soon.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down