BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

small big block or big small block

+10
Hardy
nuclearcobra
bbf-falcon
IDT-572
gt350hr
gmsmkr
FalconEh
dfree383
rmcomprandy
southcross
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

small big block or big small block - Page 3 Empty Re: small big block or big small block

Post  dfree383 July 6th 2016, 8:36 am

gt350hr wrote:        850 center squirters are list #4223. Change them to square bowls and they will fit on a Weiand tunnel ram.

You can mount them sideways too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

small big block or big small block - Page 3 Empty Re: small big block or big small block

Post  dfree383 July 6th 2016, 8:40 am

southcross wrote:  I made my decision after much research I purchased a 71 Lincoln block. It came with D3VE heads. I am planning on making it a 501 . The rules state less than stock valve angle
 is 6.0 lbs per cubic in. Stock valve angle heads are 5.5 lbs. with 100 lbs. weight break for oem cast heads.
  Who makes the best stock valve angle aluminum heads ? Is it worth the 100 lbs to max port the iron heads ?  Or do I add the extra weight and go with non stock valve angle heads?
   They are going to inline only carbs on tunnel rams for 2017 . Would I be better off with victor intake and 1000 cfm holley? Or inline holleys on tunnel ram. No dominator carbs.
 I can run mechanical stack injection and get another weight break.
  Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

TFS Streets, edelbrocks, blue thunders or the old Ford racing CJs are all good aluminum choices.

In Factory iron the CJ DOOE-R heads are the only way to go.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

small big block or big small block - Page 3 Empty small big block or big small block

Post  southcross July 6th 2016, 10:40 am

The rule for 2017 will be inline carbs only. Has anyone run hilborn mechanical stack injection on gas on a 385 motor ? I ran a crower stack injection unit on a big block chevy,but on alky. It worked really well.
Thanks for the head suggestions. Getting my block machined next week. Need to check one cylinder before I order parts. It has a pretty decent groove. Hope it cleans up at .030.
Someone had done a crank kit on this motor and didn't resize the rods.Then they honed the block and put rings in it.

southcross

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 6th 2016, 12:12 pm

Define inline...... Inline to means not offset.

Other good carb option may be thermoquads.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 6th 2016, 4:35 pm

southcross wrote:Thanks for the lead on the carbs. I got a buddy that runs a big block,maybe he will buy the intake.

The guy relisted them and left a phone number. I'm sure a phone call and a direct deal would save you save you money. He might even pull them off the intake.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh July 6th 2016, 8:28 pm

dfree383 wrote:Define inline...... Inline to means not offset.  

Other good carb option may be thermoquads.

X2 the carbs will be inline whether they are both mounted forward facing, or sideways, I would think the reference would be for a cross-ram style intake.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 July 6th 2016, 9:49 pm

southcross wrote:The rule for 2017 will be inline carbs only. Has anyone run hilborn mechanical stack injection on gas on a 385 motor ? I ran a crower stack injection unit on a big block chevy,but on alky. It worked really well.
  Thanks for the head suggestions. Getting my block machined next week. Need to check one cylinder before I order parts. It has a pretty decent groove. Hope it cleans up at .030.
   Someone had done a crank kit on this motor and didn't resize the rods.Then they honed the block and put rings in it.

Offy makes 1/2" OffSet plates for a total 1" Offset for 99 bucks at Summit/Jegs. If they must be inline that would likely work on a TRam? They could be converted to metering plates if you still need more room and the rules allow. They will not Clear on a B/T DQ though with center hung bowls but, likely would with the offset plates rear metering blocks and square bowls if you wanted to go that route. They can also be set more progressive by trimming the throttle arm notch's if need be.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3