BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell...

+6
David Cole
BIGDOG466
Blue Oval Forever
the Coug
richter69
jbozzelle
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... - Page 2 Empty Re: Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell...

Post  BigDave65 January 8th 2010, 9:57 pm

I would suggest putting a little silicone around the very bottom bolt. I've seen some leaks there when it wasn't done.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... - Page 2 Empty Re: Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell...

Post  Oldani January 9th 2010, 9:38 am

I advise using good RTV such as Ultra-Copper/Blue/Black in a couple areas. The original Ultra-Bells didn't have the o-ring grooves for the bolts and they ALL leaked if you didn't use RTV between the Bell and pump around each bolt hole, and possibly under each bolt head/washer. Even with the newer Bells I always use RTV in both of those locations. And they NEVER leak, period. As to installing studs I've never seen any real need for that. Plus you need to seal around the threads as trans fluid will migrate along them and leak out; albeit a small amount usually though. The big thing is to make sure no matter what method you use to cut the case is that you have sufficient clearance for the Bell to sit flush on the pump and not hit the case anywhere. Also clean any paint/rust off the pump surface before assembly.
Oldani
Oldani

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 9th 2010, 1:21 pm

Thanks. I'll double check the case to bell clearance. Is one threa dinsert better that another? Is there a difference between Keenserts and Helicoils?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldani January 10th 2010, 7:16 pm

I've always just used Helicoils. Never had a problem with them. The other important part is an inch/pound torque wrench. An accurate one. Wink
Oldani
Oldani

Back to top Go down

Instructions for cutting off the glide bellhousing and installing a JW bell... - Page 2 Empty Block plate

Post  racerk_2000 January 27th 2010, 3:40 am

When running the ultra bell do you still need to use the metal shim plate between the block and the bell housing?

Kevin
Still Stuck In Iraq, Now In Tall'Afar

racerk_2000

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 27th 2010, 5:54 am

racerk_2000 wrote:When running the ultra bell do you still need to use the metal shim plate between the block and the bell housing?

Kevin

Kevin I do just for the safety fact of if anything goes wrong it keeps any stray parts from hitting the back of the block.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 27th 2010, 9:47 pm

the Coug wrote:
racerk_2000 wrote:When running the ultra bell do you still need to use the metal shim plate between the block and the bell housing?

Kevin

Kevin I do just for the safety fact of if anything goes wrong it keeps any stray parts from hitting the back of the block.....

Randy

And it helps align the starter.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2