BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crank centerline vs chassis

2 posters

Go down

Crank centerline vs chassis Empty Crank centerline vs chassis

Post  BigRigTech September 14th 2016, 9:43 am

One of my projects for the winter is to adjust the position of my 460 in my Mustang. the front end of the engine needs to come down to help get my driveline angles ideal. It has front and rear motor plates so it's just a matter of moving the tabs on the frame. Does anyone know of any good links to read up on the best way to do this? I don't know if this link will work but here is how my car scaled this spring with me in the seat.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154049876940867&set=pb.570215866.-2207520000.1473860364.&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154049876935867&set=pb.570215866.-2207520000.1473860364.&type=3&theater

BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Crank centerline vs chassis Empty Re: Crank centerline vs chassis

Post  jbozzelle September 15th 2016, 5:50 pm

You cant get low enough in a Fox chassis IMO. I have a PA Racing K-member with a 2.5" drop and Pinto rack. Other options are the K-member that puts the Stiletto rack out in front of the crank and leaves the oil pan area completely open.

I dropped the engine down as far as it would go and raised the tailshaft to point directly at the pinion. This helped a good bit and I think the crank height was about 13". Could be wrong though. Can't check since I'm currently swapping it all into another Fox chassis.

It did tuck the headers up to the floor though so that was a plus!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech September 15th 2016, 7:15 pm

My headers are probably going to be changed or replaced with front exit headers this winter so I can lower the front of the car more. I haven't measured the engine angle yet but when we set up my new suspension we could see where an engine angle adjustment would be a gain. I'm hoping to get a set of AFCO DA rear shocks from Menscer's this winter to help with the hook. I'm hoping I can swap my super comps side to side and convert them to front exit headers but time will tell I guess. Otherwise I'm starting from scratch.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 21st 2016, 9:45 pm

If you build the headers after the engine is nailed down you'll be fine. You shouldn't have to raise the tailshaft much either since you're running a 28" tire.

I don't think I'd want my engine any lower in my car either. The oil pan is way low now. Just a hair higher that the headers and way lower than the k-member... No more insurance if it reaches for the sky...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech September 22nd 2016, 8:39 am

My car isn't a wheelie machine, it just picks the tires an inch or two -if at all - and frig's off..LOL...It also carries the front end up when it leaves so in my case im not worried about the oil pan hitting the track. I have 12" springs on the way for it so it can be dropped some and the front exit headers would be nice for loading it on the trailer too. Very Happy
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down