BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crank centerline Height

4 posters

Go down

Crank centerline Height Empty Crank centerline Height

Post  whatbumper March 25th 2010, 9:52 am

Let's start a crank height discussion. Ours is about 14" race ready but we can go down about an inch or up if we have to for tuning purposes. I don't like the high 4x4 look on Mustangs. It is too hard to tune the suspension like that.

What do you guys think?

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Crank centerline Height Empty Re: Crank centerline Height

Post  richter69 March 25th 2010, 9:57 am

if you are not allowed a wheelie bar keep it low IMO.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 25th 2010, 12:12 pm

Well I have always thought that there is no one one-size-fits-all "best" crank nose height setting (or "best" setback setting for that matter) because there are so many different variables & car "types" (body/chassis/suspension/etc) to factor in.

One major factor regardless of tire size is the amount of available/usable engine torque/power at the launch. As an example it makes no sense to hang an engine that's got low torque/power numbers low/forward off the ground in the chassis unless (A) you want a "lazy" car, or (B) the future plans call for a lot more power. Along the same thinking, hanging an engine with monster torque/power numbers real high/back off the ground in the chassis is asking for a super violent combo. Depending on the rest of the car's combo this setup might be so violent that you might chew up most/all of the available suspension tuning adjustment window trying to calm the car back down (if the engine power isn't controlled instead).

But with most any "stock" front frame/suspension design you are working at a given disadvantage as far as reaching the "best" ideal crank nose height for a given combo if that ideal number cant be reached because of packaging problems due to the factory's chassis layout. But if that "ideal" crank height number (for the combo) happened to fall within a range that the chassis layout will allow you to play with then testing different engine heights/set backs is an option...... Well that is it's an option only if someone was willing to invest money to test different heights/setbacks even thought it's possible they might not see any results in the end.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 25th 2010, 12:24 pm

Good read.^^^^

I've talked with a lot of drag radial and 10.5 guys and the sweet spot for fox and fox-4 body mustangs seems to be 13.5"-15.5" when mounted near the stock location (setback) in the car.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 25th 2010, 12:44 pm

whatbumper wrote:the sweet spot for fox and fox-4 body mustangs seems to be 13.5"-15.5" when mounted near the stock location (setback) in the car.
I guess testing engine height vs engine setback might be a wash dollar wise depending on your cost for the assorted materials/parts to do the R&D.

Engine height testing will cost either multiple sets of different motor/mid plates, or making some kind of a variable adjustable front/mid plates. The trans mount height probably could be easily shimmed up/down. With luck the headers/steering might be "convinced" to clear at the different heights.

Engine setback testing is probably just as involved because of multiple driveshafts, some way of adjusting the trans mount back/forth, multiple motor/mod plate tabs (or stacking shims on the tabs). And again headers/steering might be a challenge.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 26th 2010, 3:21 pm

My 514 will get stuck back tot he firewall in my Fox body Mustang. So that is about 1.5 - 2" aft of stock I guess. I'm also sticking it low enough to get the headers to clear the ground and the carb to clear the 5" cowl hood. I'l be able to raise it up till the collectors hit the floor and that's about it. I think I'll have about a 2" height adjustment if I'm lucky...

Just need to get the front suspension back together and get the thing back on the ground to get the motor/mid plate locations finalized in relation to the headers, ride height and the ground...

My main objective is low and back to begin with. It's a 4 link car so I should ba able to adjust it as needed without moving the engine.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down