BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camshaft thrust plate : what do I need and where can I buy

4 posters

Go down

Camshaft thrust plate : what do I need and where can I buy Empty Camshaft thrust plate : what do I need and where can I buy

Post  bigblockfordfxstb 7th December 2016, 18:24

Hi all.

Done a number of searches but have to many mixed results.

I did find one topic and everyone voted Brass fits all. And a US phone number but I am in Australia and normally buy from Summit simply because of freight charges, happy to buy from ebay or another a sponser seller but paying $50-70US UPS is not what i am after.

So.
Early 460 - 385'
Ford 460 Compcams Hyd flat tap cam (cast?)
New double row gears. I belive cam gear is iron (compcams)

Can I use normal cast plate?
Can I use steel plate ?
Looks like I can use Brass for anything that moves.
Can I buy a SMF 351C 400M plate? (Told by proflow reseller same?)
What is the spec / wear tollorance ? My current item may be fine.

And what is the end play tolerances spec once installed? I have s few books but dont recall it setting this. The old cam float movement appeared to be very generous.

Thanks in advanced
R

bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Camshaft thrust plate : what do I need and where can I buy Empty Re: Camshaft thrust plate : what do I need and where can I buy

Post  pmrphil 7th December 2016, 19:54

Cast gear, use a cast (stock) plate. DON'T use a steel plate with a cast gear. You can use brass, but why bother? No benefit.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Camshaft thrust plate : what do I need and where can I buy Empty Re: Camshaft thrust plate : what do I need and where can I buy

Post  Gregaust 8th December 2016, 06:41

A stock plate in good condition will work. Check for any wear grooves . Check camshaft endfloat will tell also

For a bronze plate I believe I've seen Lem Evans has them Wink

Cam endfloat in my Ford book is listed as desirable .001"-.006" , max .009". Last few i've done have come in @ .004"

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfordfxstb 8th December 2016, 10:22

Hi,

Yes found it also ! thank you.... i need to dig out my clearance details.. will try contact Lem ?

photo cam_zps42mjljrw.jpg

Looks like its a steel unit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW-STEEL-CAMSHAFT-THRUST-PLATE-FORD-CLEVELAND-302-351-AF463-00-/182074685081?hash=item2a647f3699:g:eQsAAOSwbwlW~c7l

bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfordfxstb 8th December 2016, 10:51

Found some pics.... actually looks brass on one side... doubt it thou.

Will need to wait to check the end play when the gear is on... but as is, the gap float is massive ...

wonder if I need one ?

thanks.
R

photo cam1_zpspnbcp99p.jpg

photo cam2_zpsn0lj5keh.jpg

photo cam3_zpspvczx9xe.jpg

photo cam4_zpslfdv6nzc.jpg

photo cam5_zpsogflw4nj.jpg

photo cam6_zpsao4is06o.jpg

photo cam8_zpsd7afqe3j.jpg

photo cam7_zpssmv6undh.jpg
bigblockfordfxstb
bigblockfordfxstb

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust 9th December 2016, 06:15

Hmmm ,can't see the pics , just wondering if you have a lot of endfloat , some gears have a brass/bronze washer between cam gear and retainer plate , a chance that is missing ??

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil 9th December 2016, 10:20

The back of the gear has a step built into it and goes into the recess, taking up most of the "loose" endplay

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle 10th December 2016, 13:57

You need to check endplay with the cam gear installed and torqued to spec.

To keep it simple - Cast cam core = cast plate and cast gear........ Steel cam core = bronze plate and steel gear... This is what I've learned over the years.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down