BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller rocker choices . Which one

+11
FalconEh
cool40
Paul Kane
maverick
jbozzelle
Lem Evans
Curt
rmcomprandy
BBFTorino
dfree383
cobra501
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 Empty Re: Roller rocker choices . Which one

Post  csdrag January 3rd 2017, 11:40 pm

Lem what is your recommendation for a stud mount rocker? Any opinion on Howard's rockers?

Lem Evans wrote:The fracture of the 'cage' is the issue.

The big picture is that not many of these style rockers were out there....seems most were TFS 'black'. It was a matter of timing and volume of the order i.m.o.
csdrag
csdrag

Back to top Go down

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 Empty Re: Roller rocker choices . Which one

Post  David Cole January 4th 2017, 10:15 am

I saw in another post that your planning on .900 lift.  If you are going that much, with the spring pressures that go along with it go around and get the Crower SS.  The will hold up to the job.  No worries.  Don't know if I would trust a stud mount aluminum rocker for long at that level.

The Crower SS on mine:

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 716prods

Comp Gold was mentioned at the top of the thread.  If you mean the Comp Ultra Gold....run...away.  These were built by Scorpion for Comp.  Not sure if the entire thing or just the body.  I've known 3 guys with broken rockers including me.   It was 8 years ago my my 588 A head deal.  Had just a few passes in a dragster with the stock A460 springs.  250/850 ish   Comp and Scorpion claimed the rockers were good to over .900 lift.  Mine on a easy drive from pit to staging.  Never saw over 7K rpm on a pass.  To Comp's credit they did replace the broken one under their lifetime warranty.  Sold the set and went to Crower.

The broken one looks like it had a stresses area where they pressed the pushrod cup into it.  

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 DSCF0009

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 DSCF0016
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  csdrag January 4th 2017, 11:18 am

Tks. I'm curious because they advertised .900" and 900 PSI. I will be right at .850" and I would be at the top of the advertised range. Which goes against my better judgement, but I do want some feed back from others who may have run them.

David Cole wrote:I saw in another post that your planning on .900 lift.  If you are going that much, with the spring pressures that go along with it go around and get the Crower SS.  The will hold up to the job.  No worries.  Don't know if I would trust a stud mount aluminum rocker for long at that level.

The Crower SS on mine:

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 716prods

Comp Gold was mentioned at the top of the thread.  If you mean the Comp Ultra Gold....run...away.  These were built by Scorpion for Comp.  Not sure if the entire thing or just the body.  I've known 3 guys with broken rockers including me.   It was 8 years ago my my 588 A head deal.  Had just a few passes in a dragster with the stock A460 springs.  250/850 ish   Comp and Scorpion claimed the rockers were good to over .900 lift.  Mine on a easy drive from pit to staging.  Never saw over 7K rpm on a pass.  To Comp's credit they did replace the broken one under their lifetime warranty.  Sold the set and went to Crower.

The broken one looks like it had a stresses area where they pressed the pushrod cup into it.  

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 DSCF0009

Roller rocker choices . Which one - Page 2 DSCF0016
csdrag
csdrag

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 4th 2017, 1:07 pm

My advise is don't look for bargain prices if you want to go fast.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 4th 2017, 3:02 pm

Curt wrote:My advise is don't look for bargain prices if you want to go fast.

"FAST" is subjective but, essentially I firmly agree with this statement.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 4th 2017, 4:01 pm

csdrag wrote:Lem what is your recommendation for a stud mount rocker?  Any opinion on Howard's rockers?

The big picture is that not many of these style rockers were out there....seems most were TFS 'black'. It was a matter of timing and volume of the order i.m.o.

I'm not familiar with the Howards stuff. I've ran and sold the Crower SS units since the 1980s and if there is any stud mounted rocker that are better I am unaware of them. The Comp Ultra Pro Magnum XD steel rockers seem to be doing a good job too.....so far so good.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  csdrag January 4th 2017, 8:22 pm

Tks for the reply. I'm not really a fan of stud mount. I'm exploring. I do like the crower stuff I looked at. I have a friend that ran comp rockers on a BBC and didn't have any problems for a few years. He took all his same top end and put it on top of a new 565 rotator and a new bow tie block and started having lots of trouble burning up the roller tip and hurting the valve tips. But having not investigated the issues myself I can't say what is happening.
Lem Evans wrote:
csdrag wrote:Lem what is your recommendation for a stud mount rocker?  Any opinion on Howard's rockers?

I'm not familiar with the Howards stuff. I've ran and sold the Crower SS units since the 1980s and if there is any stud mounted rocker that are better I am unaware of them. The Comp Ultra Pro Magnum XD steel rockers seem to be doing a good job too.....so far so good.
csdrag
csdrag

Back to top Go down

Post  csdrag January 8th 2017, 1:17 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Curt wrote:My advise is don't look for bargain prices if you want to go fast.

"FAST" is subjective but, essentially I firmly agree with this statement.

Thanks. I agree that performance and bargain don't belong in the same sentence. I think anyone doing a build is looking at where they place their resources. I am no different. However, it is only part of my objective for the post. I haven't run anything with stud mount rockers in a number of years. I have only dealt with shaft mount systems. I know folks are out there using stud mounts with girdles so I am trying to gain some knowledge through asking others experience. Stud mounts have their place so I am trying understand where that place begins and ends.
csdrag
csdrag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2