BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godzilla

+22
SandHillsHillbilly
Albert Clark
snuff98
5pointslow
BigBlockRanger
SLord82
Lem Evans
hienergy557
jasonf
windsor
maverick
torino501
J.Toney
cletus66
dfree383
rmk57
DILLIGASDAVE
BBFTorino
AZFairlane
68formalGT
cool40
IDT-572
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Godzilla - Page 2 Empty Re: Godzilla

Post  SLord82 March 7th 2017, 11:03 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Anybody heard about the new small block pushrod engine coming from Ford.

7.3 liter (445 cubic inch)
direct injected
Crosbolted mains
4.527 bore space
4.11 bore
2.200 intake valve

Going into ford truck engine line up and possibly the new Bronco and Mustangs.
Roush is already machining blocks for it.

I hope this is true...........
Should remove a ton of LS engines from fox Mustangs.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I've heard of two new v8s coming from Ford in the near future; a 4.8 v8 that's slated for f150 and maybe mustang. Probably just an updated coyote motor. And a second bigger heavy duty v8 engine, that I assume is based on the boss 6.2, for super duty and commercial vehicles. This heavy duty engine may be the engine you describe but I doubt it will ever make volume production in f150 or mustang due to CAFE regulations. For what it's worth the boss 6.2 bore spacing is 115mm, or 4.527in, and Roush was involved in it's development.

I would Love to see a new pushrod v8 from Ford, like the LS or new hemi, produced in large volume but I don't think we will ever see it.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 6th 2019, 6:01 pm

SLord82 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Anybody heard about the new small block pushrod engine coming from Ford.

7.3 liter (445 cubic inch)
direct injected
Crosbolted mains
4.527 bore space
4.11 bore
2.200 intake valve

Going into ford truck engine line up and possibly the new Bronco and Mustangs.
Roush is already machining blocks for it.

I hope this is true...........
Should remove a ton of LS engines from fox Mustangs.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I've heard of two new v8s coming from Ford in the near future; a 4.8 v8 that's slated for f150 and maybe mustang. Probably just an updated coyote motor. And a second bigger heavy duty v8 engine, that I assume is based on the boss 6.2, for super duty and commercial vehicles. This heavy duty engine may be the engine you describe but I doubt it will ever make volume production in f150 or mustang due to CAFE regulations. For what it's worth the boss 6.2 bore spacing is 115mm, or 4.527in, and Roush was involved in it's development.

I would Love to see a new pushrod v8 from Ford, like the LS or new hemi, produced in large volume but I don't think we will ever see it.

Well.............. Believe it now Laughing Wink
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 February 6th 2019, 6:19 pm

IDT-572 wrote:

From the interview I saw with the Ford engineer you got a few things right.

7.3 liter (445 cubic inch) - Confirmed (though I never doubted its existence)
direct injected - Incorrect. Its port injection
Crosbolted mains - Correct
4.527 bore space - Unknown. Though the engineer mentioned that it is 4inches longer than the 6.2 which is SOHC. Usually SOHC engines are pretty long due to the cam chains. I wonder if this new engine has an even larger bore spacing
4.11 bore - Unknown
2.200 intake valve - Unknown

Going into ford truck engine line up and possibly the new Bronco and Mustangs. - According to the Ford engineer, its heady duty only (f250, f350,f450 etc) and will not be in Mustang or Bronco or F150.

As I mentioned before, I believe its a heavy duty engine but I doubt it will ever make F150 (or Bronco) production, much less Mustang. With GT500 getting a supercharged 5.2 coyote, there's not a slot above it for a production bb engine. Though a Boss 429 rebirth would be amazing, but I'll believe it when I see it  Very Happy

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 6th 2019, 6:44 pm

SLord82 wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:

From the interview I saw with the Ford engineer you got a few things right.

7.3 liter (445 cubic inch) - Confirmed (though I never doubted its existence)
direct injected - Incorrect. Its port injection
Crosbolted mains - Correct
4.527 bore space - Unknown. Though the engineer mentioned that it is 4inches longer than the 6.2 which is SOHC. Usually SOHC engines are pretty long due to the cam chains. I wonder if this new engine has an even larger bore spacing
4.11 bore - Unknown
2.200 intake valve - Unknown

Going into ford truck engine line up and possibly the new Bronco and Mustangs. - According to the Ford engineer, its heady duty only (f250, f350,f450 etc) and will not be in Mustang or Bronco or F150.

As I mentioned before, I believe its a heavy duty engine but I doubt it will ever make F150 (or Bronco) production, much less Mustang. With GT500 getting a supercharged 5.2 coyote, there's not a slot above it for a production bb engine. Though a Boss 429 rebirth would be amazing, but I'll believe it when I see it  Very Happy

I would say fairly close being it was March of 2017 when I posted it. Laughing Laughing Laughing Also,by the looks of it I bet it will fit anywhere a Mod engine will go. Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger February 6th 2019, 6:55 pm

I have seen 4.53 listed as the BS.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 6th 2019, 7:00 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:I have seen 4.53 listed as the BS.

Yes....Ford calls it 115mm.

Same as 6.2L

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT February 6th 2019, 8:59 pm

Will it go in the Raptors. cheers
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 February 7th 2019, 12:22 am

Lem Evans wrote:
BigBlockRanger wrote:I have seen 4.53 listed as the BS.

Yes....Ford calls it 115mm.

Same as 6.2L

I had a company truck for a few months with the 6.2. F250 Crew Cab short bed. It was REAL nice. Is my cam gonna idle like that in the 572? Twisted Evil

Remember....AC, EFI, and OD... Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger February 7th 2019, 1:08 am

Anyone know if it has canted valves?

Some of the cutaway pics look like they are canted slightly.

Also the valve spring IH looks to be 3". Haha.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 February 7th 2019, 7:11 am

I was thinking the same thing, canted to the side but inline front to back.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow February 7th 2019, 8:09 am

any ideas on #s tq and hp
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  snuff98 February 7th 2019, 9:57 am

I was told by a good source that it is developed by Roush as a heavy duty engine and it is going into school busses this year to be sold as 2020 year models. In stock trim it will out perform the v10 and the 6.2 with better fuel economy. I could not get any specs, but it will be interesting.

snuff98

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 February 7th 2019, 11:24 am

snuff98 wrote:I was told by a good source that it is developed by Roush as a heavy duty engine and it is going into school busses this year to be sold as 2020 year models. In stock trim it will out perform the v10 and the 6.2 with better fuel economy.  I could not get any specs, but it will be interesting.

This is what I was afraid of, we get an all new high tech pushrod motor but its squandered on HD applications and weighs 600+ lbs because who cares about weight in a HD application, Also from the look of it, it looks pretty tall, because who cares about packaging when its only planned for tall hooded trucks and buses. I was hoping for a modern aluminum smallblock that would proliferate junk yards for decades because it was thrown in everything from Mustangs to Broncos, to F150s, like the LS and Hemi are now. Oh well, I'm still excited we got something. Maybe we will see a low volume performance version at some point....

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert Clark February 7th 2019, 11:40 am

SLord82 wrote:
snuff98 wrote:I was told by a good source that it is developed by Roush as a heavy duty engine and it is going into school busses this year to be sold as 2020 year models. In stock trim it will out perform the v10 and the 6.2 with better fuel economy.  I could not get any specs, but it will be interesting.

This is what I was afraid of, we get an all new high tech pushrod motor but its squandered on HD applications and weighs 600+ lbs because who cares about weight in a HD application, Also from the look of it, it looks pretty tall, because who cares about packaging when its only planned for tall hooded trucks and buses. I was hoping for a modern aluminum smallblock that would proliferate junk yards for decades because it was thrown in everything from Mustangs to Broncos, to F150s, like the LS and Hemi are now. Oh well, I'm still excited we got something. Maybe we will see a low volume performance version at some point....

Wwaaaaa here you are pissing and moaning why not just be a little optimistic

Up Yours Truly Albert

Albert Clark

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly February 7th 2019, 11:54 am

SLord82 wrote:

Must have been awhile since you toured a salvage yard. Yard is full of Mod and Coyote engines!

I guess you didn't know that the 429/460 was used for water pumps. generators, air compressors.

The days of seeing a high tech modern pushrod engine are gone. Only reason GM has stuck with the pushrod design so long is because it is dirt cheap to produce. GM is not flowing with money to do all the need R&D work in developing new engine packages.

Chrysler was smart and played the name game. All they needed to do was call it a HEMI and no matter what it would be a demand item. It wouldn't matter if the rest of the vehicle was crap everyone wants one cause it is a HEMI. The HEMI today is not the HEMI of yesteryear. Very few Chrysler owners keep their vehicles past warranty period.

Ford is going after the Fleet market with this engine package. It is for those that need more than the 6.2 offers but doesn't want the complications and cost of diesel maintenance.
Look at the pictures closely before snarling your nose up at it. Look at how easy to work on and unburdened the package is. Will it fit under the hood of a fox body MAYBE but you might have to push the firewall back as it is longer. I don't think it is that much higher. The long runner intake makes it look that way. Sure is narrower than anything else other than the 302/351 windsor.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT February 7th 2019, 2:04 pm

What's so technical about this engine? I saw it had cam phasers and piston oil cooling jets but beyond that?
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit February 7th 2019, 2:12 pm

is the ranger going to be all aluminum
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  SLord82 February 7th 2019, 2:58 pm

Albert Clark wrote:

Up Yours Truly Albert  

Awww, poor al got his feelings hurt. Do you need to go to your safe space so you don't have to listen to opinions that don't align with your own?

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:

Must have been awhile since you toured a salvage yard. Yard is full of Mod and Coyote engines!

I guess you didn't know that the 429/460 was used for water pumps. generators, air compressors.

The days of seeing a high tech modern pushrod engine are gone. Only reason GM has stuck with the pushrod design so long is because it is dirt cheap to produce. GM is not flowing with money to do all the need R&D work in developing new engine packages.

Chrysler was smart and played the name game. All they needed to do was call it a HEMI and no matter what it would be a demand item. It wouldn't matter if the rest of the vehicle was crap everyone wants one cause it is a HEMI. The HEMI today is not the HEMI of yesteryear. Very few Chrysler owners keep their vehicles past warranty period.

Ford is going after the Fleet market with this engine package. It is for those that need more than the 6.2 offers but doesn't want the complications and cost of diesel maintenance.
Look at the pictures closely before snarling your nose up at it. Look at how easy to work on and unburdened the package is. Will it fit under the hood of a fox body MAYBE but you might have to push the firewall back as it is longer. I don't think it is that much higher. The long runner intake makes it look that way. Sure is narrower than anything else other than the 302/351 windsor.

Maybe you missed my earlier posts. I was hoping for a modern pushrod small block. Think an all aluminum modern Cleveland with FI, COP (or CNP), VVT etc. I know such a wish is unlikely at this point in time, but a guy can dream Laughing

I know you can find mod motors in every yard, but who wants em. Giant package for such a small displacement engine and most of them are the worthless 2v motors. If Ford ever produced the 351 DOHC V10 they had running around testing in the early 2000's that might get me to care about mod motors. I

I know the purpose of this motor, and was lamenting that we will likely not see it in a performance vehicle. That will limit racing use (except for a few daring souls) and thus limit aftermarket exposure. The 6.2 is a great engine and platform and you can find them in SDs in yards all day too. But there is very limited aftermarket for it even though it was at least in the Raptor for 4.5 years. I've seen one, maybe 2, 6.2s swapped in something other than a truck. I fear this new engine will be treated largely the same way for the reasons I've already mentioned.

68formalGT wrote:What's so technical about this engine? I saw it had cam phasers and piston oil cooling jets but beyond that?

Also has a variable output oil pump. Perhaps side canted valves, though its tough to tell from the pictures and videos I've seen.

SLord82

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT February 7th 2019, 3:01 pm

racinghabbit wrote:is the ranger going to be all aluminum

Not yet unfortunately.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT February 7th 2019, 3:12 pm

SLord82 wrote:
Albert Clark wrote:

Up Yours Truly Albert  

Awww, poor al got his feelings hurt. Do you need to go to your safe space so you don't have to listen to opinions that don't align with your own?

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:

Maybe you missed my earlier posts. I was hoping for a modern pushrod small block. Think an all aluminum modern Cleveland with FI, COP (or CNP), VVT etc. I know such a wish is unlikely at this point in time, but a guy can dream Laughing

I know you can find mod motors in every yard, but who wants em. Giant package for such a small displacement engine and most of them are the worthless 2v motors. If Ford ever produced the 351 DOHC V10 they had running around testing in the early 2000's that might get me to care about mod motors. I

I know the purpose of this motor, and was lamenting that we will likely not see it in a performance vehicle. That will limit racing use (except for a few daring souls) and thus limit aftermarket exposure. The 6.2 is a great engine and platform and you can find them in SDs in yards all day too. But there is very limited aftermarket for it even though it was at least in the Raptor for 4.5 years. I've seen one, maybe 2, 6.2s swapped in something other than a truck. I fear this new engine will be treated largely the same way for the reasons I've already mentioned.

68formalGT wrote:What's so technical about this engine? I saw it had cam phasers and piston oil cooling jets but beyond that?

Also has a variable output oil pump. Perhaps side canted valves, though its tough to tell from the pictures and videos I've seen.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think side canted valves are technically advanced. The video I saw on this new engine the guy said this engine should fall between the 6.2 and 6.7 as far as horsepower and torque output is concerned. That's a pretty big window as far as torque goes but it sounds like it will do better then the 6.2 in the Raptor. To me the big question would be will the block be strong enough to take some boost. I read an article where a guy tried to turbocharge a 6.2 and it didn't work out so good.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly February 7th 2019, 3:19 pm

With cross bolted 4 bolt main and a forge crank it might be a good start. At least it does have a thick deck. I haven't seen any description of the rods or pistons. Cylinder head bolt layout will determine if it can stand any boost without lifting the head.
I doubt Godzilla would ever be built by someone into a 1000 HP terror but there will always be someone who will try it though.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  68formalGT February 7th 2019, 3:30 pm

I've got a EcoBoost for a daily driver and it's pretty impressive but a F250/350 with a twin turbo gas engine that could put out between 700 and 800 lb ft of torque would be freaking awesome for the person that tows a 5th wheel or gooseneck occasionally.
68formalGT
68formalGT

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 February 7th 2019, 6:52 pm

68formalGT wrote:I've got a EcoBoost for a daily driver and it's pretty impressive but a F250/350 with a twin turbo gas engine that could put out between 700 and 800 lb ft of torque would be freaking awesome for the person that tows a 5th wheel or gooseneck occasionally.
The new 6.7L will have 1000 lb ft of of torque. with a single turbo. no need for a 7-800 lb ft twin turbo gas engine that get 3 mpg.
L

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 7th 2019, 7:04 pm

I fairly sure it will be in the 2020 F 250 this year.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 February 7th 2019, 7:15 pm

torino501 wrote:
68formalGT wrote:I've got a EcoBoost for a daily driver and it's pretty impressive but a F250/350 with a twin turbo gas engine that could put out between 700 and 800 lb ft of torque would be freaking awesome for the person that tows a 5th wheel or gooseneck occasionally.
The new 6.7L will have 1000 lb ft of of torque. with a single turbo. no need for a 7-800 lb ft twin turbo gas engine that get 3 mpg.
L

I wonder how much the ridiculous diesel emission standards have to do with this whole project. VW and others got caught cheating over that BS...
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next