BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Drain backs

+10
bigford632
Albert Clark
Scott Foxwell
CDMBill
BOSS 429
rmcomprandy
Lem Evans
dfree383
Doug Rahn
EverySparePenny
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Oil Drain backs - Page 4 Empty Re: Oil Drain backs

Post  EverySparePenny August 16th 2018, 1:27 pm

HorsinAround wrote:
EverySparePenny wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
EverySparePenny wrote:Ah we don't spin em that fast........ LOL

Thank you sir

8500-9000 for 30 seconds is a lot to ask out of eagle rods and heavy pistons.

Concur, I'm not quite to that rhelm yet, but I hope to be with the new powerplant.

I started with Eagle H-beams and went with Oliver billet after having a rod failure at 7500. The 468 in my puller regularily buzzed 8600 with the Oliver's and would go over 9000 when I put the cut bar tires on. Never had a failure and the motor is still going strong today. I must add though that no expense was spared on the motor. You have to have superior parts, machining and an engine builder that knows how to make it live at these levels!

dfree383 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:
EverySparePenny wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

Thank you sir

Concur, I'm not quite to that rhelm yet, but I hope to be with the new powerplant.

I started with Eagle H-beams and went with Oliver billet after having a rod failure at 7500. The 468 in my puller regularily buzzed 8600 with the Oliver's and would go over 9000 when I put the cut bar tires on. Never had a failure and the motor is still going strong today. I must add though that no expense was spared on the motor. You have to have superior parts, machining and an engine builder that knows how to make it live at these levels!

Agreed, got to watch the lower end stuff when you start hitting these levels of abuse, the better rods tend to hold their shape and not distort.

I was unaware that the Eagles weren't maybe such the best choice at the time of purchase. I will be exploring a different avenue for replacement.

I have 3 machine shops that I would choose from with remarkable results I've witnessed over the past several years with no failures, at least due to machining flaw.

EverySparePenny

Back to top Go down

Post  XEngr August 16th 2018, 7:58 pm

The Eagle H-beams have a very small cross sectional area on the upper part of the rod about 1 inch below the piston.

XEngr

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino August 16th 2018, 9:13 pm

My Eagle H beams decided to exit the oil pan in two places, and the block in one place at 7500 RPMs. It was not pretty, but my engine was wearing a Kevlar diaper that did its job of containing the explosion and debris, and the absorbent pads captured mostly all of the oil and coolant (water).

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  EverySparePenny October 9th 2018, 8:23 am

Finally got the heads off this thing last night and it appears that #8 cylinder wall split at about the mid stroke point. I'm guessing it hydro'd that cylinder causing the rod damage. All other cylinders look good, from the top anyway. Doesn't appear to have detonated or anything funky going on. Next, to get the pan off and see if the bearings got hammered at all.

EverySparePenny

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround October 16th 2018, 10:00 am

EverySparePenny wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:
EverySparePenny wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

Thank you sir

Was the 468 on a factory crank, out of curiosity?

Sorry, just saw this. The crank was a factory forged 429 from a medium duty truck. Adney Brown did all the machine work on it, and worked with my engine builder to balance it. I know it was knife edged, nitrided etc.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EverySparePenny October 16th 2018, 12:00 pm

Thank you

EverySparePenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content