BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions wanted on intake and heads for my 466!

+3
FalconEh
rmcomprandy
Fordaholic495
7 posters

Go down

Opinions wanted on intake and heads for my 466! Empty Opinions wanted on intake and heads for my 466!

Post  Fordaholic495 June 4th 2018, 2:19 pm

So my plan is to leave my bottom end together until something lets go, then I will build a stroker. I want all new parts I buy to be able to swap over to a stroker later, even if they aren't perfectly suited for my current build.
Truck is a 78 bronco used for 300 ft sand drags. It is 4700 lbs, 32.5X15" super scoop paddle tires, C6/NP205 run in low range, 4.56 gears. 2-step is set to 3k rpm off the transbrake and I shift at 6-6500 rpm. I built the engine originally to still have some street manners but don't really care anymore.

Here is the build as it currently sits:

460 bored .030
Stock truck rods
H612CP30 speed pro pistons .005" out of the hole
C9VE heads with some port work.
Stock valves w/ 3 angle job
PRW 1.8 roller rockers
Custom grind solid flat tappet cam - 231 int , 253 exh duration - .570 int, .604 exh lift - 111.1 lb sep - Set at .018 valve lash
Weiand 8012 unported
Holley 1000 DP
Hedman headers 1 3/4 prim. To 2 1/2" exhaust
Msd6al ignition
Jomar powercone spacer
Autolite 45 plugs
I run VP110 race fuel

I have 2" primary, 3 1/2 collector long tube headers and 3" exhaust ordered. Looking for my best option for a single plane intake/aluminum head combo that will wake up this current engine but also swap over well to say a 7-800hp 532" stroker later down the road. I do NOT want to buy any more parts for this engine that won't swap over. I will run the intake with my current heads until this winter when I do the head swap. I was really looking toward AFR 295's with their single plane knowing that I will probably have to notch the intake valve relief in the pistons, but if there is a better option out there I'm all ears! Also looked into the Trick flow track heat or 'R' series intake.
Thanks in advance for your opinions

Fordaholic495

Back to top Go down

Opinions wanted on intake and heads for my 466! Empty Re: Opinions wanted on intake and heads for my 466!

Post  rmcomprandy June 4th 2018, 5:36 pm

Build what you have now and keep it that way.
Build your stroker engine with parts gotten strictly for that engine ... not swapped-over parts; other than maybe valve covers, oil pan and front cover.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Opinions wanted on intake and heads for my 466! Empty Re: Opinions wanted on intake and heads for my 466!

Post  Fordaholic495 June 4th 2018, 9:17 pm

Okay that’s fair enough. In that case, which intake/Head combo do you think would give me the best top end power with my current shortblock, ignoring any future plans of a stroker?

Fordaholic495

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh June 4th 2018, 10:10 pm

I would agree with Randy especially when you say you you want to wait until something in the bottom end lets go before you do the stroker...there is nothing stopping the parts that let go from destroying the new set of heads you want to use on the stroker. Start building the stroker and then retire the existing engine or if the class rules permit give that bitch a big hit of Mr Frosty and run it until it goes down in a blaze of glory. Wink
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 June 5th 2018, 8:15 am

rmcomprandy wrote:Build what you have now and keep it that way.
Build your stroker engine with parts gotten strictly for that engine ... not swapped-over parts; other than maybe valve covers, oil pan and front cover.

This is exactly what I'm doing with my Mustang. I'm leaving the 460 alone, and I'll replace it with a 572 in one fell swoop. This also allows me to use the 460 in a pickup truck or something.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 5th 2018, 8:32 am

Fordaholic495 wrote:Okay that’s fair enough. In that case, which intake/Head combo do you think would give me the best top end power with my current shortblock, ignoring any future plans of a stroker?

You said you already have a set of Ported C9' and a Weiand? Run'm and have fun.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 5th 2018, 9:36 am

Fordaholic495 wrote:Okay that’s fair enough. In that case, which intake/Head combo do you think would give me the best top end power with my current shortblock, ignoring any future plans of a stroker?

Personally ... I wouldn't even consider it if there are really plans for another engine. Then I would go A460.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fordaholic495 June 5th 2018, 4:19 pm

Perhaps I should clarify. I just built this shortblock in the fall and plan to use it for the next 4-5 years. If there was a head that I could put on OTB now and maybe port later for a stroker then I would do that. It runs great now, but in a 5k lb truck it’s just not enough and I have to believe more Cam, better heads, and bigger exhaust will really wake up this shortblock without having to turn many more RPM’s. Am I on point here? So let’s totally forget the future stroker altogether and I’ll just buy new heads when the time comes for that. I’m looking at either AFR 290’s or TFS 290’s possibly right now. I’d rather not have to notch the pistons, but if the AFR’s will be that much better maybe I will have to. If I put a TFS track heat single plane and TFS 290’s on this thing with possibly a roller Cam, but at least a custom solid FT will that make a pretty good combo? Sorry if I seem all over the place here but this is just a for fun truck that I like to show up the Chevy boys with so I want to run this budget shortblock and get the most out of it that I can for now. I can swing a top end, but a whole stroker is out of the question right now. My buddy’s Chevy is getting faster, I can’t let that happen.

Fordaholic495

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 5th 2018, 5:01 pm

Bigger heads ain’t always better when youre moving 5000# with a 460.

Run what you got and build a bigger motor around new stuff
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 5th 2018, 5:46 pm

Fordaholic495 wrote:Perhaps I should clarify. I just built this shortblock in the fall and plan to use it for the next 4-5 years. If there was a head that I could put on OTB now and maybe port later for a stroker then I would do that. It runs great now, but in a 5k lb truck it’s just not enough and I have to believe more Cam, better heads, and bigger exhaust will really wake up this shortblock without having to turn many more RPM’s. Am I on point here? So let’s totally forget the future stroker altogether and I’ll just buy new heads when the time comes for that. I’m looking at either AFR 290’s or TFS 290’s possibly right now. I’d rather not have to notch the pistons, but if the AFR’s will be that much better maybe I will have to. If I put a TFS track heat single plane and TFS 290’s on this thing with possibly a roller Cam, but at least a custom solid FT will that make a pretty good combo? Sorry if I seem all over the place here but this is just a for fun truck that I like to show up the Chevy boys with so I want to run this budget shortblock and get the most out of it that I can for now. I can swing a top end, but a whole stroker is out of the question right now. My buddy’s Chevy is getting faster, I can’t let that happen.

What results you're asking for is more torque ... just is not gonna happen without more cubic inches.  Put more gear in it and go play.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 6th 2018, 9:54 am

I don't agree with the well lets cam it small and keep small heads on it because it weighs 5000 lb's.

I would figure what rpm would be safe with your current components and go from there. Build as much power as your short block will allow, then gear and or converter it to work with your truck.

A small headed, small cammed 500 hp engine will always be slower than the same engine with better heads and cams making 700 hp.

All components need to be matched for the performance your after.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 6th 2018, 10:01 am

IDT-572 wrote:I don't agree with the well lets cam it small and keep small heads on it because it weighs 5000 lb's.

I would figure what rpm would be safe with your current components and go from there. Build as much power as your short block will allow, then gear and or converter it to work with your truck.

A small headed, small cammed 500 hp engine will always be slower than the same engine with better heads and cams making 700 hp.

Why throw out everything you have that is actually pretty well matched and buy all new stuff for it, when your planning on building a big motor later.... save the grip and do it right on the big one once.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 6th 2018, 10:29 am

It’s what the OP wants, 4-5 years, not what you think he needs. If he wants to be as competitive as he can be, then go on and do the heads and intake and cam. I wouldn’t want to ride a moped for 4-5 years either Rolling Eyes Up to him, to decide,
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Fordaholic495 June 6th 2018, 12:09 pm

IDT-572 wrote:I don't agree with the well lets cam it small and keep small heads on it because it weighs 5000 lb's.

This was kind of my thought too. I really wanted to know if it was a sensible combo for hp to make the truck faster, not if it made financial sense. I'd rather spend 3-4K for 100-200hp now than 16k for a whole new engine now. There is a limit though, and with the 90's EFI pistons .005" out of the hole I'm sure I'd have to notch them for the 2.200" intake valve on even the TFS 290's. That's where I start to lose interest unless it's easy enough to do with the pistons in the block. Then the "right" thing to do is probably have it all re balanced and what-not. That's a lot of time/money for stock parts. Was hoping to just cam it up, put a much better head/intake/exhaust on it and let the 466 breathe the best she can, but we all know it's never that easy. If I have to start buying pistons then it'll be for a new engine, not this one.

Fordaholic495

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 6th 2018, 12:19 pm

IDT-572 wrote:It’s what the OP wants, 4-5 years, not what you think he needs. If he wants to be as competitive as he can be, then go on and do the heads and intake and cam. I wouldn’t want to ride a moped for 4-5 years either Rolling Eyes Up to him, to decide,

Better heads, bigger camshaft, better intake will act and be a LOT slower with less brute torque unless it is GEARED for it; more gear has to happen either way in order to get the final results wanted, without more cubic inches.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fordaholic495 June 6th 2018, 12:35 pm

I think I'll just put 150hp shot to it and see what happens. LMAO Cool

Fordaholic495

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 6th 2018, 12:53 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:It’s what the OP wants, 4-5 years, not what you think he needs. If he wants to be as competitive as he can be, then go on and do the heads and intake and cam. I wouldn’t want to ride a moped for 4-5 years either Rolling Eyes Up to him, to decide,

Better heads, bigger camshaft, better intake will act and be a LOT slower with less brute torque unless it is GEARED for it;  more gear has to happen either way in order to get the final results wanted, without more cubic inches.

IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 6th 2018, 12:55 pm

Fordaholic495 wrote:I think I'll just put 150hp shot to it and see what happens. LMAO Cool

Prob your best idea, if your foundation don't crack............... Razz Razz Razz
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 June 6th 2018, 1:12 pm

You could use a lot more cam in my opinion. Big roller will wake it up. Max port the heads you have for now. That will keep the bottom end in tact for now. Provided you have valve clearance on the pistons

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 6th 2018, 1:33 pm

Fordaholic495 wrote:I think I'll just put 150hp shot to it and see what happens. LMAO Cool

Best Bang for the buck and you can reuse it later on a bigger motor. Just make sure you use good gas, keep the tune sane and the RPM down on those rods and pistons.

Consider getting some plug inserts so you get a better spark plug selection too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down