BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does the chamber tell you?

+5
ED468
whitefield
rmcomprandy
BBFTorino
cool40
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What does the chamber tell you?  - Page 2 Empty Re: What does the chamber tell you?

Post  cool40 August 21st 2018, 9:29 am

Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
cool40 wrote:I'm fairly confident the oil got by the rings. I suppose the lack of fuel and too much timing,37* contributed to the problem. The bearings all show wear but not necessarily detonation related as top half look better than bottom. If a main bearing was a little tight would it be possible for the rod bearing to spin from not enough oil but the main survive? I still can't exactly pin point the reason for rod bearing failure on #1.

That rod cap sure shows excessive heat which probably came from the failed rod bearing.  Clearance not proportioned correctly or temporary lack of oil to cool it or distortion of the rod big end ... something to cause the overheated rod bearing.
after polishing the crank I put the mic on it and found the #1 journal to be about 4 tenths bigger toward the radius and I can only assume it was that way before also. It's got .003 now and the others have more,.0035 being the most. The mains were .003 before would .004 be out of line for a high rpm deal with straight 30 weight or 20/50? The heavy steel rod probably don't help things.

I'd damn sure want .0035"-.0036" on the mains.

You get that taper out of the  #1 journal?
working on it. I got +.001 main bearings to put it @ .004.

I've often used 1/2 std. and 1/2 +.001" to get where I wanted to be.  Which main bearings are you using?
I have a set of speed pro std and federal +.001 I can mix probably .
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What does the chamber tell you?  - Page 2 Empty Re: What does the chamber tell you?

Post  Lem Evans August 21st 2018, 10:07 am

cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
cool40 wrote:I'm fairly confident the oil got by the rings. I suppose the lack of fuel and too much timing,37* contributed to the problem. The bearings all show wear but not necessarily detonation related as top half look better than bottom. If a main bearing was a little tight would it be possible for the rod bearing to spin from not enough oil but the main survive? I still can't exactly pin point the reason for rod bearing failure on #1.

That rod cap sure shows excessive heat which probably came from the failed rod bearing.  Clearance not proportioned correctly or temporary lack of oil to cool it or distortion of the rod big end ... something to cause the overheated rod bearing.
after polishing the crank I put the mic on it and found the #1 journal to be about 4 tenths bigger toward the radius and I can only assume it was that way before also. It's got .003 now and the others have more,.0035 being the most. The mains were .003 before would .004 be out of line for a high rpm deal with straight 30 weight or 20/50? The heavy steel rod probably don't help things.

I've often used 1/2 std. and 1/2 +.001" to get where I wanted to be.  Which main bearings are you using?

134M?

I wouldn't use the straight 30 wt,

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 21st 2018, 2:04 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
cool40 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

134M?

I wouldn't use the straight 30 wt,
134M & 134-1x.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2