BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Complete nitrous system checklist - My Setup

2 posters

Go down

Complete nitrous system checklist - My Setup Empty Complete nitrous system checklist - My Setup

Post  Fordaholic495 November 9th 2018, 4:03 pm

I have a 78 Bronco that I race in 300ft sand drags. It has an 11:1 AFR 295 700hp/tq 552ci BBF in it, all forged internals, but still a factory D9 block. Built by Scott Johnston. I will be putting some nitrous to it next year (Don't tell Scotty Laughing )
I just want to make sure I have every precautionary measure done before I play with the spray. So here is my plan.

I am upgrading my entire fuel system to -12 with a 350gph Aeromotive A2000 pump. (This is overkill, but I like to future-proof) I will be running the fuel system and nitrous system off of the same feed. This pump has a return right on the pump, so I will not be running one back all the way from the regulators. Is this correct?
I plan on running 110 octane race fuel when spraying. Does this sound like enough or should I spring for 114?
I have the Induction Solutions Saturday Night Special Plate kit. I plan to spray around 150-175 shot. I don't want to do any more on this block.
I have a fuel log where I will have my 2 regulators.
I do NOT have a timing retard box, I will manually retard the dizzy when I know I will be spraying.
I do have an RPM window switch I will be installing to automatically cut off the nitrous if the RPM's drop below a certain point, and also cut off before my rev limiter.
I will NOT be running a fuel pressure switch, as I was advised not to by Induction Solutions due to them being unreliable, and an issue where the switch can get into a repetitive open/close action from the solenoid opening and closing. IE: soleniod opens, fuel pressure drops slightly for a moment, so switch turns the solenoid off, which raises fuel pressure, switch opens solenoid, fuel pressure drops.... etc.
I will be using a full throttle switch on the carb.
I haven't determined what plugs I will run for spray yet, still have more research to do on that.
I may spring for a flow tool so I can dial in the fuel pressure while flowing. I understand this is an important step.
I also still have things to learn regarding proper tuning, luckily I have all winter to read and absorb. And Induction Solutions customer service is the best in the business, so I have those guys to call any time.
I have a pretty large lump of cash into this engine, and it only has maybe 20 passes on it so I want to make sure I take care of it, but always gotta be faster. I know the best idea would be to upgrade blocks, but you guys know how it goes.
Is there anything else you more experienced guys do to make sure you're safe when using nitrous?

Fordaholic495

Back to top Go down

Complete nitrous system checklist - My Setup Empty Re: Complete nitrous system checklist - My Setup

Post  BBFTorino November 10th 2018, 1:35 am

Fordaholic495 wrote:I have a 78 Bronco that I race in 300ft sand drags. It has an 11:1 AFR 295 700hp/tq 552ci BBF in it, all forged internals, but still a factory D9 block. Built by Scott Johnston. I will be putting some nitrous to it next year (Don't tell Scotty Laughing )
I just want to make sure I have every precautionary measure done before I play with the spray. So here is my plan.

I am upgrading my entire fuel system to -12 with a 350gph Aeromotive A2000 pump. (This is overkill, but I like to future-proof) I will be running the fuel system and nitrous system off of the same feed. This pump has a return right on the pump, so I will not be running one back all the way from the regulators. Is this correct?
I plan on running 110 octane race fuel when spraying. Does this sound like enough or should I spring for 114?
I have the Induction Solutions Saturday Night Special Plate kit. I plan to spray around 150-175 shot. I don't want to do any more on this block.
I have a fuel log where I will have my 2 regulators.
I do NOT have a timing retard box, I will manually retard the dizzy when I know I will be spraying.
I do have an RPM window switch I will be installing to automatically cut off the nitrous if the RPM's drop below a certain point, and also cut off before my rev limiter.
I will NOT be running a fuel pressure switch, as I was advised not to by Induction Solutions due to them being unreliable, and an issue where the switch can get into a repetitive open/close action from the solenoid opening and closing. IE: soleniod opens, fuel pressure drops slightly for a moment, so switch turns the solenoid off, which raises fuel pressure, switch opens solenoid, fuel pressure drops.... etc.
I will be using a full throttle switch on the carb.
I haven't determined what plugs I will run for spray yet, still have more research to do on that.
I may spring for a flow tool so I can dial in the fuel pressure while flowing. I understand this is an important step.
I also still have things to learn regarding proper tuning, luckily I have all winter to read and absorb. And Induction Solutions customer service is the best in the business, so I have those guys to call any time.
I have a pretty large lump of cash into this engine, and it only has maybe 20 passes on it so I want to make sure I take care of it, but always gotta be faster. I know the best idea would be to upgrade blocks, but you guys know how it goes.
Is there anything else you more experienced guys do to make sure you're safe when using nitrous?

Just my opinion here, so please bear with me!!
If this motor has been set up to run N/A, you may want to open up the 1st and 2nd ring gaps, so you will avoid damage in this area.
It is wise to run a timing retard setup!! You get to run your full timing on motor, and as soon as the NOS is hit, you have instant timing retard.
If you are running the Fel Pro "blue" head gaskets, replace them with copper SCE "Titan" gaskets that have the built in O ring / fire ring.

Also, I like to use NGK plugs. I use the NGK #9 for mild NOS use. If you put more nitrous to it, you want to go colder yet on the plugs.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Complete nitrous system checklist - My Setup Empty Re: Complete nitrous system checklist - My Setup

Post  Fordaholic495 November 10th 2018, 11:20 am

BBFTorino wrote:
Just my opinion here, so please bear with me!!
If this motor has been set up to run N/A, you may want to open up the 1st and 2nd ring gaps, so you will avoid damage in this area.
It is wise to run a timing retard setup!! You get to run your full timing on motor, and as soon as the NOS is hit, you have instant timing retard.
If you are running the Fel Pro "blue" head gaskets, replace them with copper SCE "Titan" gaskets that have the built in O ring / fire ring.

Also, I like to use NGK plugs. I use the NGK #9 for mild NOS use. If you put more nitrous to it, you want to go colder yet on the plugs.

Hey I appreciate the reply! The rings are gapped to .030", which from what I have read seems to be enough for moderate spray. I will definitely look into a timing retard system. Sounds like it would be a lot nicer than having to do it manually all the time! I will have to look and see what head gaskets they are, but I do believe they are regular fel pro gaskets with ARP bolts, I am confident they are not copper w/fire ring. Thank you for the spark plug recommendation!

Fordaholic495

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down