BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new SR71 heads

+14
Colt Macara
cletus66
samiam
wayney
Lem Evans
snuff98
BBFTorino
QtrWarrior
hbstang
c.evans
Carl
Dave De
rmcomprandy
57ford custom
18 posters

Go down

The new SR71 heads Empty The new SR71 heads

Post  57ford custom January 30th 2019, 2:07 pm

So far has anyone on this forum installed a new set of the SR71 heads on an engine they are assembling or has anyone built one and dynoed it? Kasse has them in stock I am told. I have read all the info about them on here just looking for some real people with lower budgets like mine.
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

The new SR71 heads Empty Re: The new SR71 heads

Post  rmcomprandy January 30th 2019, 5:54 pm

57ford custom wrote:So far has anyone on this forum installed a new set of the SR71 heads on an engine they are assembling or has anyone built one and dynoed it? Kasse has them in stock I am told. I have read all the info about them on here just looking for some real people with lower budgets like mine.

Kaase isn't "real people"...?

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom January 30th 2019, 8:28 pm

LOL yes I know that anyone who makes over 800 hp with an MEL is totally in a different league. I put a 383 version of an MEL in my 57 Ford in the early 60's it was rated at 312 hp and I figured with almost 100 cid more displacement than I had it would be would be a killer combo. More than the 292 I had in it. Nope for some reason or other it was a dog on acceleration but did have more torque.  Shocked I tried various thing that I knew back then but it was still slow. Crying or Very sad
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De January 30th 2019, 9:58 pm

There is some good information here. If you need more you might have wait until the 2019 racing season is active.
https://www.429-460.com/t27219-jon-kaase-sr71-cylinder-heads
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl January 31st 2019, 4:09 pm

Get em while you can. Super niche market. I can't imagine there's going to be enough people asking for them once the first run is sold out to justify doing another run.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans January 31st 2019, 5:01 pm

Carl wrote:Get em while you can.  Super niche market.  I can't imagine there's going to be enough people asking for them once the first run is sold out to justify doing another run.

It's a free country and you are entitled to your opinion, but I totally disagree with you. I think the sales of the SR-71 head will continue to be strong and that they will be the head most racers who use a CobraJet style head, will turn to.
Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl January 31st 2019, 6:41 pm

c.evans wrote:It's a free country and you are entitled to your opinion, but I totally disagree with you. I think the sales of the SR-71 head will continue to be strong and that they will be the head most racers who use a CobraJet style head, will turn to.
Charlie Evans

Are sales strong? How many has he sold? How many are still on the shelf? How many did he make? We've only seen a few people with them in their possession on the various forums and FB pages. None on a running engine with the exception of Kaase himself.

I really have a hard time believing there are more than 25 buyers for these heads in the entire country. They're the wrong head for street use, and they're the wrong head for unlimited race use. Not a whole lot of big block Ford guys in the middle....in my opinion. Wink

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  hbstang January 31st 2019, 8:21 pm

Carl wrote:
c.evans wrote:It's a free country and you are entitled to your opinion, but I totally disagree with you. I think the sales of the SR-71 head will continue to be strong and that they will be the head most racers who use a CobraJet style head, will turn to.
Charlie Evans

Are sales strong?  How many has he sold?  How many are still on the shelf?  How many did he make?  We've only seen a few people with them in their possession on the various forums and FB pages.  None on a running engine with the exception of Kaase himself.

I really have a hard time believing there are more than 25 buyers for these heads in the entire country.  They're the wrong head for street use, and they're the wrong head for unlimited race use.  Not a whole lot of big block Ford guys in the middle....in my opinion.  Wink

i think the SR-71 heads would be killer on a 521 street engine.they made more HP and torque at 5800 rpm than the afr heads did at 5800 and 7000 rpm for that matter.
and as far as a race head?budget racers should see them as a great deal,1224 hp for $2995 unported are you kidding me!check the prices on A460 or C460 heads that will support that,there are 2  times that price.
the afr are quality heads if you want a step up from Edelbrock.if i have to buy custom pistons for my next build it will be for the SR-71 heads.
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 1st 2019, 11:05 am

Carl wrote:Get em while you can.  Super niche market.  I can't imagine there's going to be enough people asking for them once the first run is sold out to justify doing another run.

Anyone who has a large engine Fox body type street/strip car is a good candidate for these heads; they will fit a stock block 4.390" bore and that is most big block Ford enthusiasts criteria.wanting to use regular off the shelf headers and intake manifold.

EDIT:  And, Brought to the marketplace in a few months and have only been available for couple ... not taking over 2 plus years.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior February 1st 2019, 3:25 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong..
But isn't Carl a dealer for a different head manufacturer ?? Rolling Eyes
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl February 1st 2019, 5:33 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong..

Consider yourself corrected.  Laughing   I shut down my automotive business on 12/31/18.  My opinion has no financial interest (and never did).

To be clear, I'm not commenting on the quality or performance of the SR71's.  I just don't think there's a market to support them, and I wouldn't expect a savvy business man like Kaase to produce a quantity that will be sitting on the shelf for any period of time.  We all witnessed the extended wait periods between runs for the P51's, and there are going to be even fewer people asking for these heads.

Carl

rwjaeger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino February 1st 2019, 6:32 pm

I think a shootout between a big block Chevy and a big block Ford with various cyl. head / top end packages would be great.
Taylor both engines with the same specs, or as close as possible, and do comparisons for available cyl. heads that are the equivelant to each other....like a P-51 and whatever the equivelant head is for the Chevy. Then move up the cyl. head ladder for both, and keeping them as equal as possible.....cam specs, compression, carb, header size, etc.
I think the big Ford would show a lot of un-informed people what it's capable of!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  57ford custom February 1st 2019, 6:45 pm

Carl wrote:
Charlie Evans

Are sales strong?  How many has he sold?  How many are still on the shelf?  How many did he make?  We've only seen a few people with them in their possession on the various forums and FB pages.  None on a running engine with the exception of Kaase himself.

I really have a hard time believing there are more than 25 buyers for these heads in the entire country.  They're the wrong head for street use, and they're the wrong head for unlimited race use.  Not a whole lot of big block Ford guys in the middle....in my opinion.  Wink

.Carl please tell me why you believe that these heads are the wrong head for street use just wondering
57ford custom
57ford custom

Back to top Go down

Post  snuff98 February 1st 2019, 7:00 pm

I have noticed that there are a lot more a460 heads for sale now that the sr71 came out. I have been the a460 route and can't wait till I can get some sr71s.

snuff98

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 1st 2019, 7:38 pm

snuff98 wrote:I have noticed that there are a lot more a460 heads for sale now that the sr71 came out.  I have been the a460 route and can't wait till I can get some sr71s.

Tell me about your A460 heads please.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wayney February 1st 2019, 9:07 pm

I personally think this head has a good market in the bbf community. ease of header selection and spark plug access on cars with shock towers and a high flowing intake port. I would be interested to know how well the transition from the intake manifold runner to the port works. The heads do flow good on the bench.

wayne

wayney

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam February 1st 2019, 9:11 pm

Curious to know what you all think of these heads compared to the TFS A460 -340 heads, out of the box..im planning on a 600 ci. or more, truck pull set up, and have the TFS heads already
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 February 2nd 2019, 3:38 pm

BBFTorino wrote:I think a shootout between a big block Chevy and a big block Ford with various cyl. head / top end packages would be great.
Taylor both engines with the same specs, or as close as possible, and do comparisons for available cyl. heads that are the equivelant to each other....like a P-51 and whatever the equivelant head is for the Chevy. Then move up the cyl. head ladder for both, and keeping them as equal as possible.....cam specs, compression, carb, header size, etc.
I think the big Ford would show a lot of un-informed people what it's capable of!!

According to Kaase, the BBF is the best bang for the buck, period. He builds Chevys and Mopars too.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara February 2nd 2019, 4:00 pm

Carl wrote:

Consider yourself corrected.  Laughing   I shut down my automotive business on 12/31/18.  My opinion has no financial interest (and never did).

To be clear, I'm not commenting on the quality or performance of the SR71's.  I just don't think there's a market to support them, and I wouldn't expect a savvy business man like Kaase to produce a quantity that will be sitting on the shelf for any period of time.  We all witnessed the extended wait periods between runs for the P51's, and there are going to be even fewer people asking for these heads..

Carl, If you don't mind, why did you close down your automotive business?
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair February 3rd 2019, 12:00 am

hbstang wrote:
Carl wrote:
Charlie Evans

i think the SR-71 heads would be killer on a 521 street engine.they made more HP and torque at 5800 rpm than the afr heads did at 5800 and 7000 rpm for that matter.
and as far as a race head?budget racers should see them as a great deal,1224 hp for $2995 unported are you kidding me!check the prices on A460 or C460 heads that will support that,there are 2  times that price.
the afr are quality heads if you want a step up from Edelbrock.if i have to buy custom pistons for my next build it will be for the SR-71 heads.

1224 Hp SR71? Is this an actual build? If so do you have the details?
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 3rd 2019, 12:45 am

Gary Blair wrote:
hbstang wrote:
Carl wrote:
Charlie Evans

1224 Hp SR71? Is this an actual build? If so do you have the details?

Gary it's right on this site 2 threads down form this one Jon Kaase SR71 heads page 6!!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl February 3rd 2019, 10:18 am

Colt Macara wrote:

Carl, If you don't mind, why did you close down your automotive business?

Personal reasons.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 3rd 2019, 11:43 am

He’s a AFR nut swinging dink, that can’t build anything other than bolt together generic junk
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 3rd 2019, 2:09 pm

dfree383 wrote:

He’s a AFR nut swinging dink, that can’t build anything other than bolt together generic junk

Tell us how what you really think....

The new SR71 heads Tenor
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down