BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look *

+6
427John
cool40
Colt Macara
Frank Merkl
jasonf
5pointslow
10 posters

Go down

header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look * Empty header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look *

Post  5pointslow July 25th 2019, 8:31 am

i backed my car up out of my trailer on un even ground , passenger muffler pushed up on trailer door putting a kink in my headers by the collector
if i had to guess its 1/2 closed off at the kink on that one tube. car all out goes 9.77 im running 10.00 and 10.50 index and i have a race this sat and the following sunday

Your guys thoughts or opinions if there is any danger of hurting anything
im going to try to order some d&d 3/4 length headers but i know there is a long lead time

Thanks
guys

header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look * Fairmo11

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look * Empty Re: header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look *

Post  5pointslow July 25th 2019, 8:32 am

i bent it back down the best i could
car sounds the car sounds the same didnt break a weld or anything
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look * Empty Re: header damage how much power loss if any ? kinked . *please take a look *

Post  5pointslow July 25th 2019, 11:15 am

these hookers are so low , i ordered a set of pitpal longer ramps for my trailer

i guess i will run it on sat and see how it runs
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 25th 2019, 1:02 pm

That's a pretty big kink. Let us know if it runs any different.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow July 25th 2019, 1:12 pm

jasonf wrote:That's a pretty big kink. Let us know if it runs any different.

i will ,
i slow the car up using a ez-plate setup

going to run it same as it was last time at track weather should be close and d/a should as well . I have weather station to verify info
worst case i will cut that piece out and weld in a new piece in i suppose
looking at ordering as set of 3/4 length 2 inch primary d&d headers but in the mean time and running for points going to try to make this work , the hookers hang so damn low

i think what sucks the most is i went to semi finals last race and car has been very consistent all year
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl July 25th 2019, 4:18 pm

a torch and come-along and suck it back
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara July 25th 2019, 9:29 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:a torch and come-along and suck it back
Frank

That sounds doable..... pull on the collector while heating the primary pipes. Additionally, you could weld a tab or bolt on the kink after pulling most of it out and use a slide hammer on the bolt. With a little work you could probably get it close for a temporary fix without a loss of too much power. Good idea Frank.
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 25th 2019, 10:56 pm

I’d use a moclamp and pull it back with a frame machine 😆 but that’s my line of work. Assuming you don’t have that laying around I’d use a bigger ratchet strap around the rear axle and through the header. Idk if I’d put heat on it unless it was last resort.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  427John July 26th 2019, 12:54 pm

Having a steady pull down on the collector while using a clamp to squeeze the widest part of the kink may restore some of the cross section,won't be purdy but will be better than what you have now,but if you listen to what the buffoons on roadkill say it won't affect power at all so no worries.I've used a torch and a broomstick to unflatten early mustang-torino 429 hookers but that won't help you.It will be interesting to find out your results,may debunk the roadkill guys.

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R July 26th 2019, 3:01 pm

I would make a plate out of 1/4" that bolts to the collector flange with another piece of 1/4" with a hole cut in it to hook a come along to and as cool40 said, wrap it around the rear housing. pull on it with the come along and relieve the stress on the tubes with a hammer and as suggested , a c-clamp. Pull, relieve, pull, relieve until you get it where you want it. I would also use some heat on the bad kink as you pull it.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 July 26th 2019, 4:31 pm

Cut em' off and start over again if all 4 tubes are crinkled up that bad.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  427John July 26th 2019, 5:15 pm

Aw come on guys nobody believes roadkills dyno proven assertion that dented and crushed tubes have no affect on power?

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow July 26th 2019, 7:14 pm

rmk57 wrote:  Cut em' off and start over again if all 4 tubes are crinkled up that bad.

It's the back cylinder that the tube is the worst and has the kink the others have always had some dings and dents as I got them used and fit like shit

I got as much as I could get of the kink out heated up and used a slide hammer.  I honestly think it will be ok for now
But trying to get a hold of d&d and left messages and emailed not sure if there just busy on vacation , there will be a lead time but wanted to atleast get an order in

One good thing is I have enough ho to run index and then some so if I lose a little not end of the world but hopeful it doesn't hurt motor .

Thanks for input , i race in morning i will update how it worked tommorrow evening

Last edited by 5pointslow on July 26th 2019, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow July 26th 2019, 7:19 pm

Suppose to be 80 and da will be good in New Hampshire
First pass in qualifying will tell
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow July 27th 2019, 7:30 pm

No I'll effects , made it all the way to finals and lost .

And was a close race to boot
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  427John July 28th 2019, 12:36 am

So no percieved change in power or ET?Also how much power does your engine make?

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow July 28th 2019, 8:42 am

427John wrote:So no percieved change in power or ET?Also how much power does your engine make?

First thing I did heat it up and pull on kink and made it some what better but not 100% .that may have been enough . Car honestly was working yesterday as I got to my first finals ever . Unfortunately my car spun ever so slightly recovered and went 10.57 to his 10.55 . Track got a bit greasy towards afternoon . What sucks is it would have been a low 10.50s all day but that's racing

Motor make 650hp goes 9.77 in fall and I use ez plates to slow up car for 10.00 and 10.50 index

This winter they will come off and try to fix them or replace tubes .

Thanks for all input on putting heat and pulling
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  litshoot August 1st 2019, 2:51 pm

I guess this puts more credit to road kills claim. Didnt make much of a difference

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Post  427John August 2nd 2019, 4:31 pm

Thats what I'm getting from it too.

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller August 2nd 2019, 11:53 pm

5pointslow wrote:No I'll effects , made it all the way to finals and lost .

But will it run the same again all out without the EZ Plate?Maybe running the slower indexes the restriction isn't enough too slow it down but what happens when you run all out again?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara August 3rd 2019, 6:22 pm

Mark Miller wrote:
5pointslow wrote:No I'll effects , made it all the way to finals and lost .

But will it run the same again all out without the EZ Plate?Maybe  running the slower indexes the restriction isn't enough too slow it down but what happens when you run all out again?  

Yep! It's called "Volumetric Efficiency".
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  427John August 4th 2019, 1:54 pm

There is no doubt that at some point it will become a restriction and affect power but it is interesting that at this level it does not,say if for some reason someone intentionally wanted to build a haggard unassuming looking ride (sleeper) with 600-650 hp a set of dented up headers would add to that appearance without negative impact.

427John

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara August 4th 2019, 6:27 pm

427John wrote:There is no doubt that at some point it will become a restriction and affect power but it is interesting that at this level it does not,say if for some reason someone intentionally wanted to build a  haggard unassuming looking ride (sleeper) with 600-650 hp a set of dented up headers would add to that appearance without negative impact.

What you'er saying, if he removes the restrictor plate, the car will run at peak performance with the mashed up restrictive headers. Am I understanding you correctly?

EDIT: I just happened to run across this data on the other site. Same motor..... Mad Porter only changed headers.

Actual output

736 TQ
755 HP @ 6,100 rpm with 2 1/4" dyno headers

733 Tq
744 HP @ 5,900 rpm with 2" dyno headers

Last edited by Colt Macara on August 4th 2019, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional Data)
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down