BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A460 block oil restrictors

3 posters

Go down

A460 block oil restrictors Empty A460 block oil restrictors

Post  Remines August 6th 2019, 1:16 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had an A460 block with NO oil restrictors. I installed .936" Morel bushing lifter and was instructed not to use any restrictors. Looking to see if anyone has a similar setup and have had oil pressure issues.  

Thanks
Michael Remines
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

A460 block oil restrictors Empty Re: A460 block oil restrictors

Post  kjett August 6th 2019, 3:35 pm

Why would use a restrictor with a bushed lifter? The bushings themselves becomes the restrictor so the block doesn't need one.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 6th 2019, 5:59 pm

kjett wrote:Why would use a restrictor with a bushed lifter? The bushings themselves becomes the restrictor so the block doesn't need one.

I think he's talking about bushed lifter bearing not block bushings.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 6th 2019, 6:06 pm

Remines wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had an A460 block with NO oil restrictors. I installed .936" Morel bushing lifter and was instructed not to use any restrictors. Looking to see if anyone has a similar setup and have had oil pressure issues.  

Thanks
Michael Remines

It really varies a lot depending on lifter design. I'd put some kind of restriction in the front of the gallery and leave the rear open to start out. It's a LOT easier to get to the rear plug than the front if it ever needs to be adjusted.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Remines August 7th 2019, 11:50 am

Well here is what we found. The lifter (Morel 6619) were made incorrectly. The oil hole on the lifter lines up directly with lifter oil galley and goes all the way through the body. The hole should only go half way through and enter from the side opposite the lifter oil galley. The lifter well be sent back to Morel for correction. The correction should have been done before being shipped to me but these were missed. Morel still says not to run restrictors in the block and this will fix the issues. I am hopeful and will report back once this is all verified.  

Thanks for the help
Michael Remines
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 7th 2019, 4:27 pm

Remines wrote:Well here is what we found. The lifter (Morel 6619) were made incorrectly. The oil hole on the lifter lines up directly with lifter oil galley and goes all the way through the body. The hole should only go half way through and enter from the side opposite the lifter oil galley. The lifter well be sent back to Morel for correction. The correction should have been done before being shipped to me but these were missed. Morel still says not to run restrictors in the block and this will fix the issues. I am hopeful and will report back once this is all verified.  

Thanks for the help
Michael Remines

If one of the plugs is left out the gallery is effectively unrestricted. The hole the plug goes in is huge and damn near big enough to feed an entire engine.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Remines August 7th 2019, 6:19 pm

Yes, All of the lifters are made that way. 0.093 hole in lifter body that lines up directly with lifter oil gallery. So you have 16 .093 holes bleeding oil. And the push rod oil hole is 0.075. Not possible to maintain oil pressure with that much bleed off.

Michal Remines.
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 7th 2019, 7:26 pm

Remines wrote:Yes, All of the lifters are made that way.  0.093 hole in lifter body that lines up directly with lifter oil gallery. So you have 16  .093 holes bleeding oil. And the push rod oil hole is 0.075.  Not possible to maintain oil pressure with that much bleed off.

Michal Remines.

That's not what I was addressing....it was the 1/4" npt restrictor plugs.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Remines August 8th 2019, 7:32 am

I understand. My mistake. Now the question is, do you fell if lifer to bore clearance is correct and the lifter has sufficient oil control to the push rod with the correction of the oil hole in the body is there still a need to place a restrictor in the lifer galley? Would the lifter be able to create the required restriction to maintain proper oil pressure? I am just trying to educate my as much as possible as I missed the oil hole being incorrect when I installed them the first time.

Thanks,
Michael Remines
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 8th 2019, 8:45 am

No restrictor required in the lifter valley...the ends of passenger side gallery is what i'm addressing.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Remines August 8th 2019, 9:42 am

You are correct. That is my question. I may not have used the best description. The passenger side lifter oil galley. The one that is above the main oil galley.

Thanks for you help
Michael Remines
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down