BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F3TE/EFI street/strip builds?

+2
rmcomprandy
BigBlockRanger
6 posters

Go down

F3TE/EFI street/strip builds? Empty F3TE/EFI street/strip builds?

Post  BigBlockRanger 24th September 2020, 18:47

I have a new project car (a '98 GT) and plan to use a '96 F3TE headed 460 in it. I have seen a LOT of truck oriented builds (big torque, low rpm, towing or 4x4 applications) with the EFI heads but I don't think I have seen any that were going in a Fox Mustang or SN95 or something like that. I am well aware of the differences between the EFI and the carbureted heads/intakes/headers, etc. That is a non-issue for what I am doing. I am not really interested in using a D3 heads, although I have a set available. If I were to ever decide to make it more serious, I would change the entire top end to an aluminum head anyway.

Anyone have a link or have built one using an EFI long block as the basis? ScottyJ has done many big torque, low rpm (like max 4500) builds with them but I do not know of any that were slated for a light car like a Mustang. I am interested in builds that are more street/strip oriented.

F3TE/EFI street/strip builds? 20200810

This is not a race car build. What I intend to do with this car is pull the broken 4.6L/T45 and slip a 460/C6 (maybe my E4OD) back in. Utilizing all the factory EEC-V (with help/guidance from efidynotuning.com) and keeping all the factory installed amenities, power steering, AC, cruise, etc. Sorta like building the BBF powered SN95 Ford could have built back in 1998. Haha.

The other self-imposed requirement of this build is to use engine/transmissions/parts I have sitting around. I am not building a race motor by any stretch of the imagination so it will be stock-type parts going back in, save for the cam, valve springs and pistons (KB137's). I feel like there is plenty of untapped street fun potential just with more compression and a decent camshaft.

BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

F3TE/EFI street/strip builds? Empty Re: F3TE/EFI street/strip builds?

Post  rmcomprandy 25th September 2020, 01:40

Does a mid 60's Fairlane qualify.
I built a 501 for a customer using those heads, Price Motorsport adapters and a Victor manifold.
Runs well to about 6,800 RPM. Has a large solid flat tappet cam with a Dominator carb and is street driven, only sometimes at cruises because it has open headers.

Given the same type treatment as any ported D3VE head.
Using 2.250" intake valves and 1.710" exhaust valves with adjustable "Bolt-Down" roller rockers.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

BigBlockRanger and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger 25th September 2020, 10:59

Just curious as to why you used the efi heads? Customer request?

It is an interesting choice given that the car does not necessarily need the main feature the efi heads afford, namely the ability to use the factory efi intake, etc.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy 25th September 2020, 15:05

BigBlockRanger wrote:Just curious as to why you used the efi heads?  Customer request?  

It is an interesting choice given that the car does not necessarily need the main feature the efi heads afford, namely the ability to use the factory efi intake, etc.

Yes ... customer wanted his heads ported, then I built him a short block. He assembled the top end himself.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

BigBlockRanger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly 10th October 2020, 14:17

Yeah use bolt down adjustable like Yella Terra. Don't do the screw in studs like I did and then realize that factory valve covers don't fit. As far as I know, no one makes tall valve covers for center bolt EFI heads.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr 12th October 2020, 12:31

bigblockranger,
I have a Ford Prototype lower intake that uses a GT40 ( or Explorer) top . Was on a running 460 EFI ( 93) experimental engine Ford built. Might be low enough to fit under the hood. PM if interested is is affordably priced compared to what Ford paid McLaren to custom build a few of them. Injectors , fuel lines and I think I still have the wire harness. Perfect for what you are doing , too small for "race use".

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 12th October 2020, 14:37

gt350hr wrote:   bigblockranger,
       I have a Ford Prototype lower intake that uses a GT40 ( or Explorer) top . Was on a running 460 EFI ( 93) experimental engine Ford built. Might be low enough to fit under the hood. PM if interested is is affordably priced compared to what Ford paid McLaren to custom build a few of them. Injectors , fuel lines and I think I still have the wire harness. Perfect for what you are doing , too small for "race use".

I hope I’m not the only one that would love to see a picture of the intake if that’s possible?

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr 12th October 2020, 14:52

I am picture challenged. Don't own a smart phone because I'm not smart enough to know how to use it. Lemme see if I can find a kid in the neighbor hood to get a picture posted. It's just a hand made steel plate intake with tubular runners. Painted black . Beautiful TIG welding everywhere on it. Silver powder coating would improve it.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller 14th October 2020, 00:43

gt350hr wrote:   bigblockranger,

How do you think that set up would work on a 95 Ford Crew Cab 2wd Dually with a 460 in it for towing?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr 14th October 2020, 15:23

Mark ,
"I" think it would be great. My problem was the cost and hassle of retrofitting a '78 truck and then there was the "smog check" issue I have here in CA I think you could plug in to your computer and it would run. Ford probably used a '93 truck computer since it was built then. I would like to see it be used since I can't.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller 15th October 2020, 00:00

gt350hr wrote:  Mark ,
    "I" think it would be great. My problem was the cost and hassle of retrofitting a '78 truck and then there was the "smog check" issue I have here in CA I think you could plug in to your computer and it would run. Ford probably used a '93 truck computer since it was built then. I would like to see it be used since I can't.

Thanks the Dually i was talking about with the 460 is my buddies truck i'll see if he might be interested and let you know!!I take it he would have to provide the GT40 upper is this correct?Thanks

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr 15th October 2020, 14:22

Yes that or an Explorer or Cobra upper. It was not on the engine when I got it from Ford.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller 16th October 2020, 00:37

gt350hr wrote:   Yes that or an Explorer or Cobra upper. It was not on the engine when I got it from Ford.

I think he has a Explorer upper he got from the JY,Thanks

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger 10th November 2020, 20:05

Mockup of where this is headed. Smile

F3TE/EFI street/strip builds? Img_2010
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down