BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto meter shift light issues

3 posters

Go down

Auto meter shift light issues Empty Auto meter shift light issues

Post  Quattro October 15th 2021, 10:08 am

First, I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I posted it here, let me know if it belongs elsewhere. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this problem. It started when I shorted + and - posts on the back of my trans temp gauge against it's mounting bracket, this blew the 15A fuse protecting the gauge circuit. not being satisfied with doing it once, I fixed what I thought (incorrectly) was the problem, put another 15A in and turned on the ignition and did it again. I found the problem fixed it and then put another fuse in and started the car, the trans temp gauge is clearly not happy with the abuse and is way out of range, but even though the tach, which is an old Auto meter Monster tach works fine, the Shift light, also Auto Meter which worked fine before the electrical short, doesn't blink when the ignition is turned on and with the 3K pill inserted, stays on constantly even at idle, which is 1,300rpm. I sent the shift light off to Auto Meter for inspection and repair, but they checked it and found nothing wrong with it. I have an MSD digital 6 plus ignition box and wonder if the tach signal could have been affected, even though my tach is working properly, they share the same +, - and tach signal, so that really does not make sense to me. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance for any information you may have on this.

Quattro

Back to top Go down

Auto meter shift light issues Empty Re: Auto meter shift light issues

Post  Dave De October 15th 2021, 9:11 pm

Replace the 3k pill? It might be damaged. FYI they are just a resistor.

Last edited by Dave De on October 15th 2021, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 October 15th 2021, 9:50 pm

I would change the chip. Resistors don't like to be shorted.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down