BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SVO block save you when you do something dumb

2 posters

Go down

SVO block save you when you do something dumb Empty SVO block save you when you do something dumb

Post  ChrisH October 17th 2021, 10:38 pm

doing a tear down inspection on a svo block build.
has roller cam bearings and the restrictor plugs drilled to .062", so oil is heavily restricted.

but then i decided to go full tard and didn't install the two small plugs in the center valley hump.

oil pressure was "weird"
made 50 psi at idle. made 50 psi at 3k. revs didn't matter too much on pressure. obviously knew something was odd, but it was making 50 psi so that was good enough for what i was doing at the time.

those restrictor plugs saved my bottom end. oddly lifters and valve train were well oiled, even the drivers side. not sure how i was getting oil to them. i am using a high volume pump since i have loose clearances in the bottom. it was blue printed and tolerance tighten up a little so im sure that helped. i had done a quick ball hone to the lifter bore on the build and the cross hatching is still there.

i put 60 miles on the engine like this and considerable idle time. i wanted to break it in and tune carb and timing before late fall, then do tear down to see how the solid roller, roller cam bearings, and associated parts were holding up.

done some dumb thing in my life but this is one of those wtf moments. sometimes you just get lucky. still dont know how oil was getting to the driver side lifters and rockers though instead of all of it coming our those two holes.

short of not putting in rings or bearings i am vying for world class idiot.

ChrisH

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

SVO block save you when you do something dumb Empty Re: SVO block save you when you do something dumb

Post  norm October 18th 2021, 9:52 am

Another benefit of priming with the intake off. This wouldn't have happened.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

SVO block save you when you do something dumb Empty Re: SVO block save you when you do something dumb

Post  ChrisH October 18th 2021, 3:49 pm

you know, i don't know why i prime with the intake on to be quite honest.

i will stop doing that. just never thought about it.

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down