BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hydraulic roller lifter adjustment.

5 posters

Go down

Hydraulic roller lifter adjustment. Empty Hydraulic roller lifter adjustment.

Post  RayDav February 28th 2022, 8:40 pm

I have an issue with hydraulic lifter adjustment.

I am doing my second roller 460.  I have done a few hyd flat in the past.  As I recall, there was always a short distance that I could depress the plunger, maybe 0.05, I never measured it.

So I am adjusting this engine, and at first it seems to go as I expected.  I touch up, turn 3/4, lock, and I am still able to depress the plunger slightly.

Then I got to about the sixth valve, and could not compress the plunger at all.  I took the linked pair to the drill press, and could compress one but not the other.

These lifters are not Comp Cams, but I have one Comp Cams 8934-2, retrofit, LL travel.  I can not compress either lifter.

What am I into?

TY
Ray

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic roller lifter adjustment. Empty Re: Hydraulic roller lifter adjustment.

Post  rmcomprandy March 1st 2022, 8:48 pm

RayDav wrote:I have an issue with hydraulic lifter adjustment.

I am doing my second roller 460.  I have done a few hyd flat in the past.  As I recall, there was always a short distance that I could depress the plunger, maybe 0.05, I never measured it.

So I am adjusting this engine, and at first it seems to go as I expected.  I touch up, turn 3/4, lock, and I am still able to depress the plunger slightly.

Then I got to about the sixth valve, and could not compress the plunger at all.  I took the linked pair to the drill press, and could compress one but not the other.

These lifters are not Comp Cams, but I have one Comp Cams 8934-2, retrofit, LL travel.  I can not compress either lifter.

What am I into?

TY
Ray

That is an issue people everywhere have encountered.

The lifter plunger depression is usually correct for good lifters between .020" and .060" however, some brand lifters will still easily collapse more at that setting.

That is a lifter problem, not a setting issue. Spongy lifters can usually be saved by setting them .020" from the bottom of they're travel which usually requires different pushrods, too.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic roller lifter adjustment. Empty Re: Hydraulic roller lifter adjustment.

Post  dfree383 March 2nd 2022, 9:32 am

I’ve got a Cleveland with noisey lifters and I’ve adjusted the 3-4 times and I’m at my wits end with tie bar hydraulic rollers.

I’m going to use solid and hydraulic flat tappet stuff in everything here on out, they are cheap, simple and just plain work.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  RayDav March 2nd 2022, 11:23 am

Where did I say I had spongy lifters.  The ones I am concerned with I cannot depress at all, they are solid.

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 2nd 2022, 5:49 pm

RayDav wrote:Where did I say I had spongy lifters.  The ones I am concerned with I cannot depress at all, they are solid.

Never mind anything I said ... you just do whatever you think is right; I should have realized it is your problem.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert Clark March 3rd 2022, 7:57 am

you know there's a saying listen with your ears not your mouth
and another you can't fix stupid

Albert

Albert Clark

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 3rd 2022, 8:08 am

RayDav wrote:Where did I say I had spongy lifters.  The ones I am concerned with I cannot depress at all, they are solid.

He’s just sharing some information with you
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino March 10th 2022, 11:37 pm

Did they mistakenly put a solid roller lifter in the box (and tied with the other lifter on the tie bar)??

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  RayDav March 11th 2022, 3:51 pm

BBFTorino wrote:Did they mistakenly put a solid roller lifter in the box (and tied with the other lifter on the tie bar)??

Regarding the one in the set, I removed the snap ring, and the plunger moves freely as far as the link rivet will allow.  I can press it in as far as needed to install the snap ring, but no further.

On the COMP CAM unit, it uses spiral locks, and I did not attempt to remove them.

I have a drill press setup with a lifter holder, a brass rod in the chuck, and a dial indicator on top of the chuck ram.

In my experience, I set rocker in place without the pivot nut, I place my first finger over the push rod and the second over the valve, and by applying reasonable pressure on the push rod, I can compress the plunger.

I just bought a set of Howards roller lifters.  I installed as above, and could not compress a couple plungers.  So I took them all to my drill press.  Most of them I could easily compress the stated max travel 0.080.  A couple did not want to move.  I applied constant pressure, the plungers moved slowly, and oil came out.  After that the plungers moved easily.  So if you get one that resists being compressed, don't reject it too soon.

AND, the vendors say do not soak in oil.

The one from the original set and the COMP CAMS unit, I never did get to move.

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down