BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam.

+2
cool40
Maddmattmustangs
6 posters

Go down

Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam. Empty Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam.

Post  Maddmattmustangs July 26th 2010, 12:07 am

Would this cause major wear on the lobes??
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam. Empty Re: Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam.

Post  cool40 July 26th 2010, 12:34 am

Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam. Empty Re: Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam.

Post  Maddmattmustangs July 26th 2010, 12:50 am

Friend of mines motor. This ones got me stumped. I don't see why it would have happened.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 26th 2010, 9:49 am

Maddmattmustangs wrote:Would this cause major wear on the lobes??

Not a problem IF the lash is kept very tight ... around .004"/.006" or so.
It is done "all the time" on street/strip builds where you don't want a lot of valve spring pressure.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs July 26th 2010, 10:47 am

rmcomprandy wrote:

Not a problem IF the lash is kept very tight ... around .004"/.006" or so.
It is done "all the time" on street/strip builds where you don't want a lot of valve spring pressure.

Would a lash around say .020 cause the lobes to wear badly at the top? The lobes are almost flat at peak. Look more like bricks instead of tomb stones
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 26th 2010, 5:05 pm

NOPE ... not at the top of the lobe unless the roller came off. Some roller cam lobes are pretty flat to "begin with".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs July 26th 2010, 5:19 pm

I'll have to get a pic but the lobes all chewed up. When I checked out the rollers on the lifters i found that all the ones that had been on damaged lobes were all locked up tight. Think I found the culprit.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne rhodes July 26th 2010, 11:06 pm

Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam. Icon_study Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam. Icon_study Using a soild roller lifter on a hydraulic Roller cam. Icon_study

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair July 27th 2010, 2:22 pm

Maddmattmustangs wrote:I'll have to get a pic but the lobes all chewed up. When I checked out the rollers on the lifters i found that all the ones that had been on damaged lobes were all locked up tight. Think I found the culprit.

Sounds like the rollers siezed and wiped your buddys cam, time to get a new cam and lifter kit. Also a magnetic drain plug and filter wrap would be good insurance as well.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 27th 2010, 2:38 pm

torkair wrote:
Maddmattmustangs wrote:I'll have to get a pic but the lobes all chewed up. When I checked out the rollers on the lifters i found that all the ones that had been on damaged lobes were all locked up tight. Think I found the culprit.

Sounds like the rollers siezed and wiped your buddys cam, time to get a new cam and lifter kit. Also a magnetic drain plug and filter wrap would be good insurance as well.
Replace the oil and filter and run a magnet along the pan first. Then get the magnetic plug and filter wrap, JMO.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs July 28th 2010, 12:15 am

I curupted him.. Were just gonna beef up the engine some more and do a total overhaul Twisted Evil
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down