BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intake porting

4 posters

Go down

Intake porting Empty Intake porting

Post  nedceifus April 11th 2022, 11:23 am

I’ve searched & really can’t find info/pictures on intake porting. My TorquerIntake porting 177ce110
Intake porting Cc43a610 460 is quite a mis match for the SCJ head ports. Run it as is or port it?
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Intake porting Empty Re: Intake porting

Post  Dave De April 11th 2022, 12:17 pm

Be careful, it looks like the gasket is low as shown on the intake. The tabs at the bottom will line up with the edge of the head/manifold. The mismatch on the short turn is not much of an improvement because the velocity is low.
Suggestion is to relocate the gasket and mill out the short side to be about a 1/16" smaller than the port on the head. If you use a fat sharpie on the gasket to outline the manifold just cut to the inside of the marker. Your mill transition into the intake should be about 1.5 to 2" into the manifold with a tapering radius.
Dave De
Dave De

nedceifus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Intake porting Empty Intake Porting.

Post  rharden April 20th 2022, 3:49 pm

I installed the Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI intake, which I believe is the same as a Torguer, on my BBF. I used my original CJ iron heads on my 521 build. I port matched both the heads and the intake to my CJ intake gaskets. I didn't get crazy about this, I just removed the metal until it was close. In fact, the heads didn't require much at all. Edelbrock thought it would be a good idea, but not necessary for a street engine, like what I have. I did it because I wanted to. I was told it doesn't make much difference if the intake ports are smaller than the head ports. I wanted a better blend. My gasket pattern is a bit different than yours. I installed Fel Pro CJ intake gaskets for a 429 CJ/SCJ.
Check this post out. https://www.429-460.com/t27796-edelbrock-pro-flo-4-efi-35680-for-ford-429-460-big-block-enginesIntake porting P1040717

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 21st 2022, 12:09 am

rharden wrote:I installed the Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI intake, which I believe is the same as a Torguer, on my BBF. I used my original CJ iron heads on my 521 build. I port matched both the heads and the intake to my CJ intake gaskets. I didn't get crazy about this, I just removed the metal until it was close. In fact, the heads didn't require much at all. Edelbrock thought it would be a good idea, but not necessary for a street engine, like what I have. I did it because I wanted to. I was told it doesn't make much difference if the intake ports are smaller than the head ports. I wanted a better blend. My gasket pattern is a bit different than yours. I installed Fel Pro CJ intake gaskets for a 429 CJ/SCJ.
Check this post out. https://www.429-460.com/t27796-edelbrock-pro-flo-4-efi-35680-for-ford-429-460-big-block-enginesIntake porting P1040717

Those ports look exactly like the manifold we dyno tested about 4 years ago with a 501 engine
Best performance, (torque and horsepower), were with port-matching 1,3,6,8 runners only because they were the most off ... then porting the others actually lost torque and the horsepower remained about the same.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller and rharden like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rharden April 21st 2022, 3:32 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
rharden wrote:I installed the Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI intake, which I believe is the same as a Torguer, on my BBF. I used my original CJ iron heads on my 521 build. I port matched both the heads and the intake to my CJ intake gaskets. I didn't get crazy about this, I just removed the metal until it was close. In fact, the heads didn't require much at all. Edelbrock thought it would be a good idea, but not necessary for a street engine, like what I have. I did it because I wanted to. I was told it doesn't make much difference if the intake ports are smaller than the head ports. I wanted a better blend. My gasket pattern is a bit different than yours. I installed Fel Pro CJ intake gaskets for a 429 CJ/SCJ.

Those ports look exactly like the manifold we dyno tested about 4 years ago with a 501 engine
Best performance, (torque and horsepower), were with port-matching 1,3,6,8 runners only because they were the most off ... then porting the others actually lost torque and the horsepower remained about the same.

I port matched all eight ports. I thought I should, so I did the match ups. I didn't dyno the engine, so I'll never know the difference. I don't race, just street driven. Thanks for the info.

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 21st 2022, 7:15 pm

nedceifus wrote:I’ve searched & really can’t find info/pictures on intake porting. My TorquerIntake porting 177ce110
Intake porting Cc43a610 460 is quite a mis match for the SCJ head ports. Run it as is or port it?

That manifold shown in the photo is probably not a Torquer II, (which has no air-gap and is open to the valley on the bottom). but, it looks like a Victor which has Cobra Jet port spacing but, with smaller ports.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus April 27th 2022, 12:03 am

My bad. Victor 460.
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content