BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towing motor.

2 posters

Go down

Towing motor. Empty Towing motor.

Post  rollercam1 September 12th 2022, 2:48 pm

Looking at putting something together that makes peak torque at 3500 rpm's. The goal is 550-600ft.lbs on pump gas. It will be a 4.390" X 4.300" combination. I believe that equates to 2.60" CSA intake port but don't know what heads to start with. Maybe some D0VE A or C? Late EFI heads ported? What valve size? It will be Holley terminator EFI on top. 44# injectors and a 4150 - 1000cfm throttle body on top of a victor intake converted to EFI. I will be backed by a ZX5 manual transmission. Anyone have some thoughts?
rollercam1
rollercam1

Back to top Go down

Towing motor. Empty Re: Towing motor.

Post  rmcomprandy September 12th 2022, 7:37 pm

rollercam1 wrote:Looking at putting something together that makes peak torque at 3500 rpm's. The goal is 550-600ft.lbs on pump gas. It will be a 4.390" X 4.300" combination. I believe that equates to 2.60" CSA intake port but don't know what heads to start with. Maybe some D0VE A or C? Late EFI heads ported? What valve size? It will be Holley terminator EFI on top. 44# injectors and a 4150 - 1000cfm throttle body on top of a victor intake converted to EFI.  I will be backed by a ZX5 manual transmission. Anyone have some thoughts?

With a correct flat tappet hydraulic lifter cam around .570" lift ... I would use the Ford Performance Parts Super Cobra Jet heads.

That manifold does not fit well with standard intake port locations and really needs Cobra-Jet intake port locations.
The Edelbrock EFI manifold which is derived from a "Torquer II" intake fits the standard O.E.M. production location ports very well.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rollercam1 September 13th 2022, 10:26 am

Thanks Randy, I wasn't sure on the CSA of the cobra jet heads. So, the choices look like porting/valves ect. a set of cast iron EFI / D0VE-C heads with a torquer manifold, or cobra jet heads with the victor intake. With the peak torque goal at 3500rpm's, which would be better? Does the intake make a drastic difference essentially flowing only air? I would think the aluminum may be better for dissipating heat and helping with detonation.
rollercam1
rollercam1

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 13th 2022, 9:03 pm

rollercam1 wrote:Thanks Randy, I wasn't sure on the CSA of the cobra jet heads. So, the choices look like porting/valves ect.  a set of cast iron EFI / D0VE-C heads with a torquer manifold, or cobra jet heads with the victor intake. With the peak torque goal at 3500rpm's, which would be better? Does the intake make a drastic difference essentially flowing only air? I would think the aluminum may be better for dissipating heat and helping with detonation.

For what you wish to accomplish ...

I would use "bowl ported" D0VE heads with a 2.19" intake valve along with stock size exhausts which will keep the velocity high everywhere. The D0VE heads WILL also need hardened exhaust seats.
Remember, "part throttle torque" is just as important as "wide open throttle" torque in this typr of application.

The "Edelbrock EFI Victor" manifold is not a "VICTOR 460" manifold but, is a "Torquer II" with cast injector bungs machined to fit passenger car heads and port fuel injection.
It is a really good torque manifold.

Using the Lunati "VooDoo" hydraulic flat tappet cam #61603, (227/233 @.050"), will get you there.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on September 13th 2022, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

rmcomprandy

jasonf, Mark Miller and 1EFF100 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 13th 2022, 9:05 pm

Double Post

Last edited by rmcomprandy on September 13th 2022, 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Double post)

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  rollercam1 September 16th 2022, 9:50 am

Thanks again Randy for your help. I have seen where you have suggested using Pontiac valves in the D0VE heads, would you use them in this scenario?
rollercam1
rollercam1

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 16th 2022, 10:28 am

rollercam1 wrote:Thanks again Randy for your help. I have seen where you have suggested using Pontiac valves in the D0VE heads, would you use them in this scenario?

You don't want to have that large 1.77" of an exhaust valve in a "torque" engine. They work great in a high RPM race engine at wide open throttle with fully ported heads.

Use a stock 1.656" exhaust but, no larger than a 1.710" exhaust valve meant for a Cleveland engine. At least a 2.190" intake and preferably a 2.250" intake.

rmcomprandy

Kobelco likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down