BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using police interceptor heads

+2
stanger68
Dbcor01
6 posters

Go down

Using police interceptor heads  Empty Using police interceptor heads

Post  Dbcor01 February 11th 2024, 8:32 pm

I have a question. Building a 528 stroker engine, at this time I cannot afford the pricey aluminum heads. I do however have a very nice set of early 70's police interceptor heads. My motor has Icon forged pistons 4.420 bore and 39cc dish. The motor is going in a two wheel drive stepside f150 for street and strip racing. I have a lunati hydraulic roller cam with 611 lift. What should I do with these heads to get a good blend of torque and speed out of them . Also I am trying to be able to run on 93 octane pump gas. Thanks in advance for advice. I promise your advice is taken with gratitude.

Dbcor01

Back to top Go down

Using police interceptor heads  Empty Re: Using police interceptor heads

Post  supervel45 February 12th 2024, 12:12 am

Dbcor01 wrote:I have a question. Building a 528 stroker engine, at this time I cannot afford the pricey aluminum heads. I do however have a very nice set of early 70's police interceptor heads. My motor has Icon forged pistons 4.420 bore and 39cc dish. The motor is going in a two wheel drive stepside f150 for street and strip racing. I have a lunati hydraulic roller cam with 611 lift. What should I do with these heads to get a good blend of torque and speed out of them . Also I am trying to be able to run on 93 octane pump gas. Thanks in advance for advice. I promise your advice is taken with gratitude.

Which Lunati cam, the 711 0r 712? They both show .611" Lift. Actual Page 112 in below link.

https://www.superformance.com.au/assets/files/Brands/Lunati%20Camshaft%20Catalogue.pdf

With a stock 89cc chamber at .000" and .010" Piston to Deck Height you will be between 8.66 and 8.8/1 Compression. That's with a .041" X 4.5" Bore Head Gasket.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php

At that low of a Compression I would run a smallish cam, like that Lunati 711 and do a good valve job, with your new spring and retainer package, and call it good.

You would either have to cut the heads and likely the intake or change pistons to get the compression in the mid 9's to go with the 712 or larger camshaft and raise the power level a little.

Thrust me on these Iron Heads, You can Spend a Ton of Money Fast. You would be way Ahead Saving for some Closed Chamber Aluminum Heads Latter if You Want Big Power Gains and they will Run More Compression on Pump Gas. IE, Less Heat Retention and Better Chambers Designed to Resist Detonation.

supervel45

Dbcor01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Dbcor01 February 12th 2024, 9:14 am

It's this cam.Lunati Voodoo Camshaft Lifter Kit 20340712LK Hydraulic Roller Ford 429-460
Lunati's Voodoo Series deliver more area under the curve than any other series. This means more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum, and better efficiency. These factors, combined with max hp and torque, make Voodoo cams the best choice for a wide range of high-performance applications

This 1968-1997 Ford V8 429 - 460 cam is a good high performance street cam. Likes upgraded intake, carb, and exhaust. Needs 2800 RPM stall converter in most cases. Requires 9.5:1 compression for maximum performance
SPECIFICATIONS

Dbcor01

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 12th 2024, 11:03 am

Dbcor01 wrote:I have a question. Building a 528 stroker engine, at this time I cannot afford the pricey aluminum heads. I do however have a very nice set of early 70's police interceptor heads. My motor has Icon forged pistons 4.420 bore and 39cc dish. The motor is going in a two wheel drive stepside f150 for street and strip racing. I have a lunati hydraulic roller cam with 611 lift. What should I do with these heads to get a good blend of torque and speed out of them . Also I am trying to be able to run on 93 octane pump gas. Thanks in advance for advice. I promise your advice is taken with gratitude.

Very good iron street heads ... those combustion chambers are "in between" small and large.
Be sure to machine the guides lower to accept that amount of valve lift without "smashing" the valve seals.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller and Dbcor01 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 12th 2024, 1:34 pm

Might look for a set of D0’ or other early small chamber heads, those big dishes aren’t going to give you much squeeze to work with IMO
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

BOSS 429 and Dbcor01 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 12th 2024, 7:38 pm

dfree383 wrote:Might look for a set of D0’ or other early small chamber heads, those big dishes aren’t going to give you much squeeze to work with IMO

They will probably give enough ratio for a street 528 inch stroker engine ...

rmcomprandy

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 February 15th 2024, 3:29 pm

With that low of compression. It will run good for a street truck but i think your time slips are going to be disappointing. Youd be wise to get new pistons if you really want it to scream.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 15th 2024, 5:48 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Might look for a set of D0’ or other early small chamber heads, those big dishes aren’t going to give you much squeeze to work with IMO

They will probably give enough ratio for a street 528 inch stroker engine ...

Dishes are real big on the pistons he said he has only about 10:1 with the doves
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 15th 2024, 8:58 pm

stanger68 wrote:With that low of compression. It will run good for a street truck but i think your time slips are going to be disappointing. Youd be wise to get new pistons if you really want it to scream.

I agree, IF he planned on running the PI Heads ForEver (Plus Spend Alot of Money on Them) and the Pistons have not been bought, Balanced and Fitted to the Block. It Sounds Like They Have.

Sure Some Icon 22cc Dished Pistons would be Better. Pricey Too

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-ic954-060

Check out Post #292 Pg.#9. 528CID 36cc pistons 74cc Blue Thunder Heads 9.8/1 Compression and Bigger Cam would be nice Down the Road, Along with around an Extra 200HP. If and When the Funds become Available and More HP is Wanted.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/521-pump-gas-build.2628959/page-9?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest

With The Lower Compression of the PI Heads, for now, he can Cruise around on Cheaper 87-91 Pump gas and still be Around 500HP. I would not sweat it too much, and Enjoy the Ride. Cool

supervel45

Dbcor01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 19th 2024, 11:28 am

It probably doesn't belong in this thread but, I will never understand building an engine to have good fuel mileage, then use a compression ratio which needs premium pump gas ... what is the point...?

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 February 19th 2024, 11:57 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:It probably doesn't belong in this thread but, I will never understand building an engine to have good fuel mileage, then use a compression ratio which needs premium pump gas ... what is the point...?

In testing more compression does and has helped mpg 75% of the time to a point.

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 20th 2024, 11:28 am

BOSS 429 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:It probably doesn't belong in this thread but, I will never understand building an engine to have good fuel mileage, then use a compression ratio which needs premium pump gas ... what is the point...?

In testing  more compression does and has helped mpg 75% of the time to a point.

YES ... however, building for "gas mileage" then spending a dollar more per gallon for gasoline is counterproductive.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 20th 2024, 4:15 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:

In testing  more compression does and has helped mpg 75% of the time to a point.

YES ... however, building for "gas mileage" then spending a dollar more per gallon for gasoline is counterproductive.

Or does it? If you get 10 mpg on $3 gas or 13 on $3.50 who wins?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 20th 2024, 5:36 pm

A couple of places on those heads to spend money, if you are planning to put miles on them and keep them awhile would be hardened exhaust seats and stainless exhaust valves. Like Randy said cut the guides down shorter for the high lift cam. Might as well put P/C seals on them while you are at it.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 20th 2024, 5:41 pm

dfree383 wrote:

Or does it? If you get 10 mpg on $3 gas or 13 on $3.50 who wins?

Premium gasoline today is a whole dollar more per gallon than regular; TODAY.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down