BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Pan question

+13
droppedf100
Mark Miller
mac460
95lightiningguy
lghting94
69F100
dfree383
Lem Evans
c.evans
richter69
IDT-572
bbf-falcon
jones
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Oil Pan question - Page 2 Empty Re: Oil Pan question

Post  lghting94 January 26th 2010, 12:36 am

The canton 20-966 is to be used on a 460 with the canton main girdle, which is what I run.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy January 26th 2010, 4:21 pm

Whats wrong with 3rd pan? Question
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 26th 2010, 4:27 pm

A stroker (windage) will pull the oil away from the pick up. The pan is to shallow and not enough oil.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 26th 2010, 4:32 pm

During shut down on the top end of the track all of the oil will move towards the front of the engine starving the engine for oil. The way the pan is shaped like a smooth ramp towards the front.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy January 26th 2010, 4:36 pm

Embarassed DUH I should know that. Rolling Eyes Sheeese
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 26th 2010, 4:39 pm

jones wrote:During shut down on the top end of the track all of the oil will move towards the front of the engine starving the engine for oil. The way the pan is shaped like a smooth ramp towards the front.

What Jones said..............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 26th 2010, 4:42 pm

IDT-572 wrote:A stroker (windage) will pull the oil away from the pick up. The pan is to shallow and not enough oil.

What Blake said.........

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 26th 2010, 6:12 pm

jones wrote:Must be an error in the system. I thought there was some one out west that made windage trays.

MPG out of Colorado, Scott Main.

http://www.mpgheads.com/Windage/Windage.htm
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 26th 2010, 6:21 pm

Thanks Dave!!!!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 26th 2010, 8:50 pm

95lightiningguy wrote:Whats wrong with 3rd pan? Question

Kasse said he blew 3 engines up on the dyno w/the 3rd pan.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  mac460 January 26th 2010, 8:58 pm

now you got me worried about my pan . i am running the 3rd pan but i put in bars so the oil wont clime out the back or front of the rear sump
mac460
mac460

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 27th 2010, 12:31 am

I have the 3rd pan also but my car sees more street driving than racing.I finished my car in 2004 and have only had it to the track 2 times since.The next time the motor comes out i think i'm going to invest in a different oil pan.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  droppedf100 January 27th 2010, 12:33 am

Im running the 3rd pan as well but I have a windage tray and crank scraper which I hope helps. No stroker here though.
droppedf100
droppedf100

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace January 27th 2010, 12:48 am

I'm using the canton 13-766 pan and the 20-936 tray. And there pick up. What bothers me is that they must not put this stuff together to see it it ever fits. First thing is the holes in the tray had to be enlarged, No big deal. Then the oil pump and pick up didn't fit because it hit the tray. GRRRR. Got the die grinder out and after several attempts of cutting out as little as possible finally got it to fit. But wait once the tray was on and the pump and pick up. Could not put the nut on for the pick up support. There was no way you could us a wrench, small fingers,1/4" sockets nothing. So what the Hell??? Last you cant get the 5/16 nut on the very front left side. This didn't surprise me as the pan that I replace was the the same pan from the late 80'. But they had made some changed and moved the windage tray to the block from inside the lower part of the pan and went from what I know as the COBRA JET ( the pick up area is angled) style pump to the none Cobra jet style. So I also contacted canton and talked( email ) to a lady name patty. she asked for me to forward pictures of that pan because in that length of time she had worked here she knows of no up dates. So I email pictures and never heard back. Sent 2 more Emails and still never heard back. GREAT customer support. OH i found out through another Canton distributor that she's only worked there 7 years.

At the time when I ordered the pan I didn't know of these changes myself and didn't get the windage tray and ran the motor with out it. Car was .3 slower and had a hard time building RPM. So after Installing it we'll see if it picks back up

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 27th 2010, 12:57 am

powerstrokeace wrote:I'm using the canton 13-766 pan and the 20-936 tray. And there pick up. What bothers me is that they must not put this stuff together to see it it ever fits. First thing is the holes in the tray had to be enlarged, No big deal. Then the oil pump and pick up didn't fit because it hit the tray. GRRRR. Got the die grinder out and after several attempts of cutting out as little as possible finally got it to fit. But wait once the tray was on and the pump and pick up. Could not put the nut on for the pick up support. There was no way you could us a wrench, small fingers,1/4" sockets nothing. So what the Hell??? Last you cant get the 5/16 nut on the very front left side. This didn't surprise me as the pan that I replace was the the same pan from the late 80'. But they had made some changed and moved the windage tray to the block from inside the lower part of the pan and went from what I know as the COBRA JET ( the pick up area is angled) style pump to the none Cobra jet style. So I also contacted canton and talked( email ) to a lady name patty. she asked for me to forward pictures of that pan because in that length of time she had worked here she knows of no up dates. So I email pictures and never heard back. Sent 2 more Emails and still never heard back. GREAT customer support. OH i found out through another Canton distributor that she's only worked there 7 years.

At the time when I ordered the pan I didn't know of these changes myself and didn't get the windage tray and ran the motor with out it. Car was .3 slower and had a hard time building RPM. So after Installing it we'll see if it picks back up

Ace

Know what ya mean Ace, It damn sure get's frustrating Rolling Eyes I don't mind a little bit of fabing, because it comes w/being a gearhead. But, you would think, after building the same part for years that they would have all the kinks ironed out. After all we pay enough for it No

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 27th 2010, 9:12 am

Yup, the pick-up tube was way out of wack. Had to enlarge the hole to fit over the studs and trim one stud down so I could get the proper clearance off the pan. It just didn't fit perfect but after some tweeking with my hand and a rubber malet it fits great. I figured it was going to need some though so it wasn't a big deal.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea January 27th 2010, 1:24 pm

I'm too late, you guys already covered the stuff with the Canton tray, pick-up and pan. I had to do the same thing with mine; enlarge the mounting hole on the pick-up to fit the stud. Make new holes in the tray to fit some studs and then just cut some off the studs (the smaller necked down part of the studs) and then I had to modify the windage tray again to clear the A460 block main caps.

Note, it would be a good idea to swap out the pickup every once in a while. I found a cracked pickup tube the last time I had my engine out of the car. It cracked right at the mounting pad that is brazed to the tube. Now thata was with a Melling pump. I now have a Kasse pump but I'm not sure if that would really help since the tube was most likely cracked due to engine harmonics with a stroker setup

A few pictures

Oil Pan question - Page 2 WindageTrayandStudsTestFit2

Oil Pan question - Page 2 WindageTray

Note how I modifed the tray a smidge to help clear the Canton pickup mounting tab. The mounting nut is a pain to install but it can be done with a socket.

Oil Pan question - Page 2 WindageTrayOilPump
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 27th 2010, 7:37 pm

I've had 2 of the canton pans shown (still have one) and never had an issue with fitment on a stock block and never noticed any perticular issues that I haven't encountered with other makes.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyFord January 27th 2010, 11:11 pm

Is the 3rd pan o.k. to use on a street truck (with the 20-936 windage screen)?

BobbyFord

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 27th 2010, 11:29 pm

dfree383 wrote:I've had 2 of the canton pans shown (still have one) and never had an issue with fitment on a stock block and never noticed any perticular issues that I haven't encountered with other makes.

The oil pan fit perfect. I was talking about the pick-up tube.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 January 27th 2010, 11:31 pm

dfree383 wrote:
jones wrote:Must be an error in the system. I thought there was some one out west that made windage trays.

thank that black max tray from mpg will fit a A460 block???

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  droppedf100 January 28th 2010, 1:18 am

BobbyFord wrote:Is the 3rd pan o.k. to use on a street truck (with the 20-936 windage screen)?
Ive had it on my truck for quite some time and my truck has been high 10s and lots of street driving. It appears to be bad with stroker cranks.
droppedf100
droppedf100

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyFord January 28th 2010, 1:22 am

droppedf100 wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:Is the 3rd pan o.k. to use on a street truck (with the 20-936 windage screen)?
Ive had it on my truck for quite some time and my truck has been high 10s and lots of street driving. It appears to be bad with stroker cranks.

I figured it would be good for my application simply because it is on a zillion production vehicles but this thread spooked me Very Happy

BobbyFord

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 28th 2010, 1:43 am

Oil Pan question - Page 2 5025001Small
Oil Pan question - Page 2 5025002Small-1
Oil Pan question - Page 2 M-6675-T460
............................................................................................................................
FRPP/Canton screen and pan....bolt on deal....no grinding/drilling etc . Context is....2 bolt block and Ford main bolts with 3/8" stud above the bolt head [what it was designed for ...not some goofy stud deal].

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 28th 2010, 7:48 am

res0rli9 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

thank that black max tray from mpg will fit a A460 block???

Call them and ask........ I haven't used one on an A Block.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next