BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New combo Idea for my 73 mustang....

+12
501ranger
jbozzelle
richter69
schmitty
whatbumper
Barney
LivermoreDave
bruno
511Fox
windsor
D. Sea
Maddmattmustangs
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New combo Idea for my 73 mustang.... - Page 2 Empty Re: New combo Idea for my 73 mustang....

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 15th 2010, 11:14 am

windsor wrote:Hey Matt...I didn't re-read the whole thread, but I haven't really seen you state your goals. From the looks of it, your 'new' combo is drastically different from your original combo, and that's a bit confusing. I do know you want to drag race it and have to drive quite a distance to do that, but otherwise clue us in to what you want to do and then you may get some better advice so you can do this (mostly) right the first time.

Wink

Im looking mostly to run in the mid to low 10's in the quarter.
I had a 351 cleveland that was pushing the car down into the mid to low 11's and was really socking it to the chevy guys in the next state but now they moved up in displacement.
i dont do the whole street racing gig anymore i feel like keeping my driving privilage cheers
Im hoping to get the shortblock done the way i want it so i dont have to do a whole new engine later.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

New combo Idea for my 73 mustang.... - Page 2 Empty Re: New combo Idea for my 73 mustang....

Post  501ranger March 16th 2010, 3:49 pm

I had a 351 cleveland that was pushing the car down into the mid to low 11's and was really socking it to the chevy guys in the next state but now they moved up in displacement.

So the Mustang currently runs mid to low 11's in the Quarter? Could you post some spec's of the current 351 and the best et and mph you have ran? IMHO the 472 with 9.5:1 compression should run High tens or low Elevens at 120-123 Mph.
501ranger
501ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 17th 2010, 11:27 am

501ranger wrote:

So the Mustang currently runs mid to low 11's in the Quarter? Could you post some spec's of the current 351 and the best et and mph you have ran? IMHO the 472 with 9.5:1 compression should run High tens or low Elevens at 120-123 Mph.

well it ran. cleveland lost a rod. it was a matter of time being stock rods and all.
best was 11.4 @ 121 crossing the traps at around 6800 rpms kinda got dull moving that slow after a year.
I want to say my best 60 foot was 1.8

forged 351 crank
stock rods polished and stronger bolts.
.040 flat top pistons 11.9:1 compression
ported 4v closed chambered heads no idea what they flowed.
2" headers dont remember the brand off the top of my head.
comp cams roller rockers
solid roller cam nothing special 244/244* @ .050 288 seat to seat 623/623 lift.

everyone kept telling me that the cleveland should have been running faster than it was

everyone told me that the motor should have ran faster than it did. i think the 2600 stall and 3.55 gears killed it.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

New combo Idea for my 73 mustang.... - Page 2 Empty A few more questions

Post  501ranger March 17th 2010, 12:52 pm

Cool Mustang! It looks pretty mild considering it ran mid elevens. I have a few more questions about what you consider streetable and your current goals. Was the 351 very streetable? Or was it on the edge of being race only? Would you be dissapointed if the new combo only runs mid tens? Do you want to run pump gas and race through mufflers?
501ranger
501ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 17th 2010, 1:07 pm

Maddmattmustangs wrote:
501ranger wrote:

well it ran. cleveland lost a rod. it was a matter of time being stock rods and all.
best was 11.4 @ 121 crossing the traps at around 6800 rpms kinda got dull moving that slow after a year.

forged 351 crank
comp cams roller rockers

everyone kept telling me that the cleveland should have been running faster than it was

everyone told me that the motor should have ran faster than it did. i think the 2600 stall and 3.55 gears killed it.

Matt,

You may want to edit your specs you have a few errors and some things just don't look right, plus you posted different info on the same stuff in other posts. Please stop lying to us, I'd really appriciate it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 17th 2010, 1:14 pm

501ranger wrote:Cool Mustang! It looks pretty mild considering it ran mid elevens. I have a few more questions about what you consider streetable and your current goals. Was the 351 very streetable? Or was it on the edge of being race only? Would you be dissapointed if the new combo only runs mid tens? Do you want to run pump gas and race through mufflers?

yea the 351 was suprisingly very streetable bottom end power was very good. who said 4v heads couldnt make bottom end power Laughing

pump gas 93 octane would be very nice but i can handle octane booster. also have a methonal injection kit at my disposal.

as for the muffler situation i was running glasspacks (cherrybombs) right off the headers.

Im planning on running the hushpower pro series tube mufflers that i have. Was going to weld a flange on the end of it and bolt it straight to the collector.

defree, this was my first build. i had a 2 barrel headed cleveland as well remember?
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 17th 2010, 6:12 pm

Maddmattmustangs wrote:
501ranger wrote:

forged 351 crank
comp cams roller rockers

Matt I am not trying to crap on your Parade but you did not have a forged 351 Crank they NEVER made them unless you spent $1000 + for an aftermarket Billit and if so why run stock rods? and I feel you are running a MONSTER sled with that chassis so the Cleveland would have been faster in a reasonable weight car....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 18th 2010, 10:30 am

I was just going with what the guy that sold me the crank told me.
Im yet to pull the crankshaft out of that wreck when i do ill give it a tap on the tip with a hammer. If she tings shes forged right?

As for my cars weight, it needs to go on a diet. Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 18th 2010, 10:44 am

Maddmattmustangs wrote:I was just going with what the guy that sold me the crank told me.
Im yet to pull the crankshaft out of that wreck when i do ill give it a tap on the tip with a hammer. If she tings shes forged right?

My cast steel crankshaft will ring like a bell! The only thing a tap will tell you is if the crankshaft is cracked. Tap on the crank and it thuds mean there is a crack somewhere. I think mine rings around a "d" major! LOL

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 18th 2010, 10:46 am

jones wrote:
Maddmattmustangs wrote:I was just going with what the guy that sold me the crank told me.

My cast steel crankshaft will ring like a bell! The only thing a tap will tell you is if the crankshaft is cracked. Tap on the crank and it thuds mean there is a crack somewhere. I think mine rings around a "d" major! LOL

hahaha. is there anyway to tell if its forged?
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 18th 2010, 11:20 am

Parting line either wide, narrow or just from appearance you can tell is it's a cast crankshaft. But, I would take the Cougs word for it! He has a collection of rare parts and he would be the one that would know.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 18th 2010, 11:37 am

yea he said the same thing about the parting lines. Im going to look for it this afternoon. but it really sounds like its a cast crank and that i got screwed big time on the crank Evil or Very Mad
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 18th 2010, 11:40 am

Matt not that the cast aren't good they ran them in Prostock unless the guy's wanted a better crank and then they went Billit.... the 302 Boss came forged in 69 and 70, the 429 Bosses came forged in 69 and 70 the 351 came in cast or high nodular.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 18th 2010, 11:47 am

maybe ill save the crank for another day then Very Happy

anyway back to my combo.

Couldnt i sub in a smaller less radical cam, smaller carb, and still run the P-51's or A-460's with the 557ci under it to keep it streetable?
that way i could just freshen everything up when im ready for more power and just swap on a bigger carb and cam What a Face
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer March 19th 2010, 1:04 am

jones wrote:Parting line either wide, narrow or just from appearance you can tell is it's a cast crankshaft. But, I would take the Cougs word for it! He has a collection of rare parts and he would be the one that would know.
Did he buy any of them on Ebay 20 years ago? Rolling Eyes Laughing
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2