BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Performance automatic?

4 posters

Go down

Performance automatic? Empty Performance automatic?

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 10:12 am

would they be a good company to get AOD parts from?
One of my friends has one out of a crown vic that they salvaged for the 5.0 it had in it and he told me if i get it out its mine Very Happy
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Performance automatic? Empty Re: Performance automatic?

Post  bruno April 12th 2010, 10:37 am

Team Sherry had some dealings with PA and i believe they were all positive Wink

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 12th 2010, 10:53 am

you mean a stock AOD that is in the Crown Vic or does it have a PA AOD in it? Question

Anyhow, getting just parts from them may not be bad if you want to build it yourself, but like I pointed you to earlier, Dan from MO is the man with AOD's. I'd get parts from him personally.

http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/Home.html

evidently, Jay at Broader Performance Trans in TX is good with them too. http://broaderperformance.com/aod%20transmissions%20and%20parts.htm

Good luck and let us know.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 11:01 am

windsor wrote:you mean a stock AOD that is in the Crown Vic or does it have a PA AOD in it? Question

Anyhow, getting just parts from them may not be bad if you want to build it yourself, but like I pointed you to earlier, Dan from MO is the man with AOD's. I'd get parts from him personally.

http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/Home.html

evidently, Jay at Broader Performance Trans in TX is good with them too. http://broaderperformance.com/aod%20transmissions%20and%20parts.htm

Good luck and let us know.

Stock AOD transmission. Im contemplating doing the rebuild myself but i know there a darn site more complicated than the C-4's ive done Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 11:27 am

Not trying to sound totally stupid but would you guys go lock up or non lock up on the AOD?
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 12th 2010, 12:21 pm

Maddmattmustangs wrote:Not trying to sound totally stupid but would you guys go lock up or non lock up on the AOD?

NON, for sure. Well, that's if you're going to make power over about 500 hp/ftlbs. You'd have to use a 4r or an E4OD for lock up with any kind of power.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 12:39 pm

windsor wrote:
Maddmattmustangs wrote:Not trying to sound totally stupid but would you guys go lock up or non lock up on the AOD?

NON, for sure. Well, that's if you're going to make power over about 500 hp/ftlbs. You'd have to use a 4r or an E4OD for lock up with any kind of power.

thats what i was thinking. from what ive read up on 1-2 are unlocked always 3 is 70% locked and 4 is 100%

Apparently lentech made a freak VB that allowed 1-3 to be totally unlocked and on the outer shaft which is very strong but locked 4 completely. They were called the street terminator lock up and the Strip terminator lock up. wish i could find one of these freak valvebodys.

Im trying to lock OD only so i can have my highway rpms down to about 1800 2000 rpms.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 12th 2010, 12:55 pm

i have a Lentech Strip Terminator VB for mine (which I haven't run yet and won't for a while)...but they are definitely the best. They have a "Reverse/Third" patent technology that applies the reverse bands (or something like that) in Third gear, which is what makes it much stronger. I believe Fred Brown (fbperformance) has something like that too, but Lentech has the patent on it.

Dan at SilverFox knows allllll the tricks, so he'd be the man to talk to.

Still, you should go non-lock for sure, even at that RPM.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 12:58 pm

windsor wrote:i have a Lentech Strip Terminator VB for mine (which I haven't run yet and won't for a while)...but they are definitely the best. They have a "Reverse/Third" patent technology that applies the reverse bands (or something like that) in Third gear, which is what makes it much stronger. I believe Fred Brown (fbperformance) has something like that too, but Lentech has the patent on it.

Dan at SilverFox knows allllll the tricks, so he'd be the man to talk to.

Still, you should go non-lock for sure, even at that RPM.

Do you think i could hold that rpm with 3.73 gears with all that darn slippage from the non lockup converter? People tell me that with a 3000 stall ill jump about 350 rpms over the lock up.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 12th 2010, 1:11 pm

run a good cooler and you should be fine. Ask the tranny/converter experts though, they'll know better than me for sure!

for reference, i'll be running about a 2800 - 3200 stall with a 28-inch tire and 3.89 gear. I'm not worried about it.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 1:16 pm

windsor wrote:run a good cooler and you should be fine. Ask the tranny/converter experts though, they'll know better than me for sure!

for reference, i'll be running about a 2800 - 3200 stall with a 28-inch tire and 3.89 gear. I'm not worried about it.

thats about what ill be looking at on the smallblock except a slightly shorter tire (26 inch)
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper April 12th 2010, 1:43 pm

Use a good plate type cooler with a fan. Stay away from those crappy fin type. Also use an inline filter before the plate type cooler or if something happens you will have a hard time cleaning it. I usually just throw them away. Also if you are not familiar with the AOD learn from a pro how to adjust the line pressure. It is not a kickdown cable it adjust line pressure. A lot of first time AOD guys burn up the trans because they neglect this adjustment.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 1:51 pm

whatbumper wrote:Use a good plate type cooler with a fan. Stay away from those crappy fin type. Also use an inline filter before the plate type cooler or if something happens you will have a hard time cleaning it. I usually just throw them away. Also if you are not familiar with the AOD learn from a pro how to adjust the line pressure. It is not a kickdown cable it adjust line pressure. A lot of first time AOD guys burn up the trans because they neglect this adjustment.

Thats the only thing with AOD's im very familliar with. adjust check pressure via the test port repeat.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 12th 2010, 1:57 pm

from what im seeing with everything that silverfox is offering there 550 hp version still uses the lock up shaft which is as high as they recomend when using a lockup type converter. Im going to be walking that line with the smallblock.
I guess as long as i can run my lower gears and keep my cruising rpms between 1800 and 2200 (55-70 mph) Ill go non lockup. Very Happy
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 13th 2010, 2:11 am

I think you'd be ok with that tranny in a SB, it won't have the tq to kill it like a BB will.

Talk to Dan though.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 13th 2010, 5:17 pm

windsor wrote:I think you'd be ok with that tranny in a SB, it won't have the tq to kill it like a BB will.

Talk to Dan though.

I plan on it once i get close to a phone that i can use long enough. yea the AOD is for the smallblock. I got the crazy idea in my head to do a stick shift behind the big block. Also got another crazy idea for the big block Laughing
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down