BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help torquing drive studs on axles.

3 posters

Go down

Need help torquing drive studs on axles. Empty Need help torquing drive studs on axles.

Post  jbozzelle April 29th 2010, 3:01 pm

Guys,

I got my axles back from the machine shop. I had them drill and tap the holes for a set of MW 5/8 drive studs. I went to install them last night and noticed that MW recommends that they be torqued in with a collet type attachment.

What exactly is a collet type attachment? Where can I get one? or what other method can I use to tirque these things in?

Can I just double nut the lug side and torque them that route?

Should I just drop them back off at the machine shop and have them do it?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Need help torquing drive studs on axles. Empty Re: Need help torquing drive studs on axles.

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 29th 2010, 5:22 pm

I have thought many times about buying the collet sleeve tool, but just never did. All I have ever done is double nut the drive stud with two old style MW one piece steel drive stud nut/washer (not the newer style "snap lock" nut/washer 2 piece assemblies) with the two washer surfaces facing each other.

I don't remember the exact torque numbers. But I think the drive stud torque in the axle flange & the stud's back lock nut torque are both around the 75 to 85 lb range, but I'm not 100% sure. You could double check MW's site for the correct torque numbers in their PDF section. Don't forget to use Loctite on everything.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Need help torquing drive studs on axles. Empty Re: Need help torquing drive studs on axles.

Post  jbozzelle April 29th 2010, 5:41 pm

MW spec'd the torque value. It's on the paper at the house.

I'll have to pick up some different nuts from the hardware store. The ones in the kit are not short enough to put two of them on the threads...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 30th 2010, 12:13 am

Now I need to chamfer the holes too to get the shoulder of the stud to sit flush on the flange...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT May 3rd 2010, 3:34 pm

John, so there is enough meat to drill and tap to 5/8 studs. Did the shop drill new holes or the existing holes where the 1/2 studs were?
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 3rd 2010, 4:24 pm

He opened up the existing 1/2" holes to 5/8.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT May 4th 2010, 10:16 pm

Thanks John! I was thinking that there was not enough material there for some reason. I will put it on my to do list.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 5th 2010, 8:56 am

It's all good. Once the locknuts are on the backside you'll see it was made for that flange thickness. My axles are the older style Moser

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT May 5th 2010, 10:09 pm

that's cool! mine are also the older Moser w/ screw in 1/2" studs
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 6th 2010, 11:52 am

That's exactly what I had.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down