BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

good starter for a 184 tooth and a lakewood bellhousing

3 posters

Go down

good starter for a 184 tooth and a lakewood bellhousing Empty good starter for a 184 tooth and a lakewood bellhousing

Post  jesse May 14th 2010, 11:27 pm

i have tryed a oem gear reduction
and it seemed like the gear was to far away from the flywheel
it worked but not for long
maybey enof to start it 2 times

i have been running a robbmc starter for the past few yrs
it works but i have to get it fixed about 1-2 times a yr
not very relible item for my combo
it also dosent seem to be close enof to the flywheel
but better than the oem
anyone else running a 184t with a lakewood
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

good starter for a 184 tooth and a lakewood bellhousing Empty Re: good starter for a 184 tooth and a lakewood bellhousing

Post  bbf-falcon May 15th 2010, 6:23 pm

When you say CLOSE to the flywheel,do u mean it don't engage far enough into the FW towards the back or in towards the crankshaft Question

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

good starter for a 184 tooth and a lakewood bellhousing Empty Re: good starter for a 184 tooth and a lakewood bellhousing

Post  BradB May 15th 2010, 7:17 pm

If you rotate the starter in the block plate counter clockwise just far enough to get a new set of holes in the bellhousing and the blockplate, the oem gear reduction unit will work. For some reason lake wood moved the holes in their bell clockwise from a stock bell causing the gear reduction starter drive to not mesh deep enough in the ring gear. If you look at your starter from the drive end you will see the shaft is not centered in the locating flange, rotating the starter will move the drive closer to or further from the ring gear. Otherwise find another after market gear reduction starter that has the shaft centered in the flange, as rotation in the block plate doesn't change the shaft centerline. I believe that is how the McRobb starter is. Just beware there are some aftermarket starters out there that don't have the nuts the oem ford starter has and they cost 2 or 3 times as much. Good luck

BradB

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse May 15th 2010, 10:17 pm

so i can drill out a new hole and use a oem gear reduction starter?
that is what i would like to do
thanxs
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon May 15th 2010, 11:26 pm

jesse wrote:so i can drill out a new hole and use a oem gear reduction starter?
that is what i would like to do
thanxs
Jesse, U should be able too just slot the bottom hole and slide it in, if it's like mine is. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse June 13th 2010, 8:21 pm

did what brad said
and seems to worki good
i picked up a oem gear reduction andit spins it over very good
better than my robb mc
thanxs for the tip
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down