BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

60' time - how quick is too quick for mech. fuel pump?

3 posters

Go down

60' time - how quick is too quick for mech. fuel pump? Empty 60' time - how quick is too quick for mech. fuel pump?

Post  somethingclever August 22nd 2009, 4:26 am

I've read on the other site in the past that the main reason to go to an electric fuel pump isn't so much actual hp, but the G-forces of the launch can actually overcome the negative pressure (sucking) of a mech pump.

Is everyone in agreement with this or a bunch of bull?

I'm debating on whether or not it's worth the hassle and expense of upgrading to an electric fuel pump for my street/strip car.

With my new combo I would expect 60' times in the low-mid 1.5's.

Hp in the 525 range.

somethingclever

Back to top Go down

60' time - how quick is too quick for mech. fuel pump? Empty Re: 60' time - how quick is too quick for mech. fuel pump?

Post  69F100 August 22nd 2009, 7:50 am

Don't now agout the g-force deal on it but I like the elec. pumps for alittle HP gains and takes alittle stress off the cam and timing chain less drag inside the engine = more hp Just my thought on it,If that helps you any.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

60' time - how quick is too quick for mech. fuel pump? Empty Re: 60' time - how quick is too quick for mech. fuel pump?

Post  Doug Rahn August 22nd 2009, 8:02 am

If your talking about the diaphragm type mechanical pumps, yes G forces can affect its pumping ability. They are trying to pull the fuel from the tank in the rear, whereas if you have an electric pump mounted back at the tank, it will be pushing the fuel forward. More efficient IMO.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  somethingclever August 22nd 2009, 9:48 am

Yes I realize the hp benefits (although probably pretty small) with the electric fuel pump....however it's quite an expensive upgrade for what I would assume, a 5hp increase.

That's why I'm curious if the G-force statement is true, and if anyone here has experienced it first hand, and what their 60' times where.

Right now I have a 110GPH holley conventional style diaghram pump and I'm expecting around 525hp.

somethingclever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down