BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boat Guys help.

+6
Gary Varney
schmitty
blown86hallet
Tore
dfree383
Diggindeeper
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boat Guys help.  Empty Boat Guys help.

Post  Diggindeeper July 12th 2010, 9:35 am

Since i live in the land of lakes I figured (my wife told me) we need a boat. Now really it just needs to be a fishing boat, but i have a feeling we (me and any upcoming children) may want to do some water skiing, tubing, etc.. I found a 1980 glassmaster boat 18ft w/ 470 mercruiser. It doesnt say much else..
The boat is 4 hrs away so i would like to know more about what i'm getting into before i go see it.
I have googled and found out all about the the 3.7L and it has a few problems but, i think it'll work overall. But i cant really find much out about Glassmaster boats.. Are they decent.... IS this thing going to break me on fuel costs????.......etc. Is it going to be pain in the ass for smaller freshwater lake fishing???

The only thing i know about boats is what i've been researching in the past couple of days.

I dont want to spend a fortune hence the 1980 model, but i want to be able to fish, AND i want a boat that can pull my fat ass up on ski's.

thanks in advance
Brent.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Boat Guys help.  Empty Re: Boat Guys help.

Post  dfree383 July 12th 2010, 9:55 am

Find something with a small v8, dare I say small block... Cough, Cough Chevy, they are cheap, run decent and are reliable.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore July 12th 2010, 11:30 am

Buy something with an outboard engine . Whole lot cheaper to fix and maintain,

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet July 12th 2010, 11:41 am

Diggindeeper wrote:Since i live in the land of lakes I figured (my wife told me) we need a boat. Now really it just needs to be a fishing boat, but i have a feeling we (me and any upcoming children) may want to do some water skiing, tubing, etc.. I found a 1980 glassmaster boat 18ft w/ 470 mercruiser. It doesnt say much else..
The boat is 4 hrs away so i would like to know more about what i'm getting into before i go see it.
I have googled and found out all about the the 3.7L and it has a few problems but, i think it'll work overall. But i cant really find much out about Glassmaster boats.. Are they decent.... IS this thing going to break me on fuel costs????.......etc. Is it going to be pain in the ass for smaller freshwater lake fishing???

The only thing i know about boats is what i've been researching in the past couple of days.

I dont want to spend a fortune hence the 1980 model, but i want to be able to fish, AND i want a boat that can pull my fat ass up on ski's.

thanks in advance
Brent.

Brent.

You are asking for alot. (B.O.A.T) Break out another thousand..

Your looking for a fishing / pleasure boat? 1980 model? First thing first's. has the maintence been taken care of on the boat for all those years? For some reason boat owners seem to forget about the boat when boating season is over, and never do any regular maintence on them... Until the next boating season by then their so amp'd to go boating they seem to forget about the stuff they did not take care of until it's to late. STUCK ON THE WATER!!!

I don't know to much about the boat your looking at, but I do know boats and what you should bye. Might try giving the owner of that glassmaster a call and see if he will take you out for a few hours on the water? Get a feel for the power, trim, plane, if it has torque steering issues, does it take on water, etc....

Don't look at the cheap price tag. THAT WILL Bite you in the A$$. Might try a good dealer and look at a used trade in boat. At least the dealer will have gone thru the boat and engine?

I would look at somethings like this.

18' - 22'
must have a small V-8 or big block.
If an outboard stay with MERCURY!
Steel prop is a must! If you want to ski and your a FAT ASS?? haha
Something with easy gas and steering controls, so your wife and drive it..

Stay with more Comomon (bayliner, Sea-ray, colbalt, Four winns, Glastron, maxum marine, Rinker boats.. etc)
I do not own any of these boats, but I see them all over the county on every lake! If any issues do come up you can get parts and fix the issue your-self or take it in and the dealer should have you on the water ASAP!

if you have any more question,,,? ASK!
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper July 12th 2010, 1:19 pm

thanks for the responses.
its not really that cheap per se, i can buy a LOT newer aluminum boat w/outboard boat for the same price.
I'd just like to fish and ski and not drop 20g's on a boat.

The responses have told me enough....just pass on it. I'm not driving 4 hours to look at a boat thats going to be more trouble than its worth.
I'll just buy an alum hull with a small outboard and forget the skiing. I know as a kid i could ski behind an alum boat with a 30 hp outboard so that would still be fine for when we have little ones wanting to ski.

side notes.
I will not buy a boat with a chevy v8 ever. small or big block.
I'm not that fat. but...could stand to eat a bit more lettuce, and a bit less red meat Laughing
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 12th 2010, 1:48 pm

I understand not wanting a chevy powerd boat, but now days thats about the only choice in the newer recreational stuff for V8's. Unless you get into the biggers stuff and go Diesel.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 12th 2010, 1:57 pm

Hey Brent, don't be a hater on the Chebbie engines. They do work great in boats. I have a 97 Mariah 252 witha 454 and it is a decent engine. The medium sized name brand boats with inboards are the way to go. I can't stand the exhaust from a 2 cycle engine and would never own one. Do a lot of research, like Adam said make sure to take the boat out and get a feel for it before you buy it. Boats can be a lot of fun when they run, but a PITA when they don't, so make sure and get something good. Cool

Best boats on the water IMHO are Cobalt, Crownline, Mariah (pre 99), Sea Ray, and Bayliner. No particular order there as they are all good. You can find some of the Sea Ray Sevilles pretty reasonable and they are great boats to do dual purpose stuff with. The smaller Mariahs are good too. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper July 12th 2010, 2:24 pm

Wow the more I read, and people respond the more i realize i know shit about them....... Embarassed
Maybe more of a clarification would be good to start out with...
Priorities
1. Fishing Freshwater lakes, some small some shallow.
2. Fishing Rivers, the odd small river would be nice
3. Budget minded. Used boat, $5000k or under would be nice. Maintenence understood and expected.
4. Skiing. Last priority. If i can find one that meets all its fine, if not.....this is the first to go.

Should i still be looking at a fiberglass or stay with aluminum?
i know if i go fiberglass i know i have to go 20 or more years old.
Aluminums are much cheaper.

what size would be a good idea 14?, 16?, 18?

I like the idea of an inboard but absolutly not a priority of any sort.

The boat will not be used a whole lot. few times a summer... likely no more than 10 times/yr.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 12th 2010, 2:32 pm

Any Rentals avaliable in your area? Just a thought if you only going to go out a few times a year.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper July 12th 2010, 2:35 pm

dfree383 wrote:Any Rentals avaliable in your area? Just a thought if you only going to go out a few times a year.

not that i know of, but i'm gonna check it out prolly worthwhile to try, help me get a better feel for the type of boat we best like at the same time.

Good Idea Exclamation

Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore July 12th 2010, 3:34 pm

Last week I sold a 1990 Searay 19ft with a V-6 Mercruiser and ALpha Drive. It was a nice boat but it was a money pit. Sea Rays of that time period are known to have floors go bad and mine needed a new floor, We put in a new coupler, had the complete outdrive rebuilt with bearings and seals,On and ON. My oldman always told me stay away from them I/Os. I bought a 24 Pontoon Boat with a 4 stroke 5ohp Yamaha engine,quite running and fuel efficient no mixing of gas and oil. Wish it had a little bigger engine for tubing but its a hell of a party boat, can put 15 people on it and easy to fish from.The only problem I have seen so far are the white seats and you get fishguts on em the old lady bitches. LOL . I doubt I will ever bo back to an I/O or a speed boat.

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Varney July 12th 2010, 3:54 pm

Well here is my 2 cents for what I think I know. I have owned many boats over the past 30 years, yes i am old. First if you buy a I/O buy one with a Mercruiser outdrive, they are the best bar none. I really hate to say it but the Chevy eng. is likely what it is going to have in it, really again I hate to say it but they run very well in a boat. Last if at all possible find one that has been stored inside, you will be amazed at how much better shape it will be in. Alot of people think they can leave them in the weather cause "they are made for the water" not so, it rots floors and kills the jel coat, even if it has had a cover it is not the same as being inside, kinda like our race cars. Boats can be a blast but they can also be the opposite.

Gary Varney

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 12th 2010, 4:19 pm

Not a boat guy, but have rode in quite a few and worked with a guy who owned a boat shop on Lake Huron.

If your doing lots of shallow lakes and rivers maybe a small jet boat would be better. Then your not trashing props on rocks!!

The small Ski-Doo boats can pull a tube or skier, they might be out of your price range....

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 12th 2010, 4:30 pm

Something like this:
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-seadoos-water-powersports-1997-SEADOO-Speedster-W0QQAdIdZ216797590

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper July 12th 2010, 11:38 pm

separatest boat.
wonder if it'll make it across the ocean to the motherland?
mind you frenchie will be at home in it. Laughing
j/k i have a bombardier (can am) 4 wheeler.

found a nice 460 powered jet boat. wonder how i could swing that........ confused
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 13th 2010, 4:12 am

Diggindeeper wrote:separatest boat.

found a nice 460 powered jet boat. wonder how i could swing that........ confused

Hmmmm, separatist eh??? Good point!! Good one on the "Motherland"!! LMFAO

You could deff ski behind the 460 jet boat!! You can fish in anything that floats, or is beside the water (docks). The jets will work in shallow water and streams, most have seats that fold down for Frenchie to sun herself too!!ITS PERFECT, JUST WHAT YOU NEED!!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet July 13th 2010, 6:26 am

billandlori wrote:
Diggindeeper wrote:separatest boat.

Hmmmm, separatist eh??? Good point!! Good one on the "Motherland"!! LMFAO

You could deff ski behind the 460 jet boat!! You can fish in anything that floats, or is beside the water (docks). The jets will work in shallow water and streams, most have seats that fold down for Frenchie to sun herself too!!ITS PERFECT, JUST WHAT YOU NEED!!!

Bill

A nice little jet boat with a 460 in it will work perfect! Pumps are easy to work with! JUST remember, in order to turn the boat you must be under power! It's something your wife will need to know when motoring around the no wake zone, docks, and other boats! Jets are easy to load and un-load from a trailer, good in shallow water, and will run all day long. Depending on the year this little jet might top out at 50 - 60 mph. Depending on the engine/pump/hull design.

Tell us more about this JET boat!

Here is a great web-site to look around in!

http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper July 13th 2010, 8:36 am

I wont be buying the jet boat but here is the link
http://northbay.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1975-BAJA-JET-BOAT-W0QQAdIdZ212984232
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 July 13th 2010, 8:40 am

Thats just what you need, better get now Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet July 13th 2010, 9:17 am

Diggindeeper wrote:I wont be buying the jet boat but here is the link
http://northbay.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1975-BAJA-JET-BOAT-W0QQAdIdZ212984232

For 5k...!
That's a steal! That bitch is twin turbo! (engine and turbo's are worth that).... You do not see that very often, shit!
Buy it and run the piss out of it!
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 13th 2010, 9:19 am

blown86hallet wrote:

For 5k...!
That's a steal! That bitch is twin turbo! (engine and turbo's are worth that).... You do not see that very often, shit!

Exactly my thoughts!!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper July 13th 2010, 10:20 am

blown86hallet wrote:

For 5k...!

I'll buy it, run the piss out of it and sell it to you for 7K Laughing
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet July 13th 2010, 10:26 am

Diggindeeper wrote:
blown86hallet wrote:

For 5k...!

I'll buy it, run the piss out of it and sell it to you for 7K Laughing

I'll buy the engine..!
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper July 13th 2010, 10:41 am

I wish i could justify that, but my name aint the only one on the check.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  meandad July 13th 2010, 10:55 am

dfree383 wrote:Any Rentals avaliable in your area? Just a thought if you only going to go out a few times a year.
excellent advice! finally something i feel qualified to give an opinion. have had boats since i was 12 (47 now).evarything from 12ft 15hp ob to sb chevy ib/ob to 42ft 8v71 turbo detroit inboard and everything in between. i have never been abig fan of renting anything, but if you are not going boating at least every other weekend ALL year long-RENT! pay a little up front leave someone else with the hassle

meandad

http://jpsherte@hughes.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next