BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plastic intake gaskets?

+5
dfree383
Barry_R
billandlori
richter69
David Cole
9 posters

Go down

Plastic intake gaskets? Empty Plastic intake gaskets?

Post  David Cole August 25th 2009, 10:21 pm

While scraping old intake gaskets off today with a razor blade I thought there had to be a better way. Looked around this evening and found some gaskets machined from a polymer plastic material. Supposed to be reusable. If they work, it seems like a good idea.

Has anyone every tried something like these?

The owner of the company that makes them was actually at the last BBF Bash. He also makes many of the parts for American Racecars dragsters like mine and Phillip Oakley's. Dash, blowshield, scoop tray, etc. He came over and talked to me for a while about my car. Seemed to be a pretty sharp guy. He was in the area and had heard about the Bash and came over.

The Ford gaskets:
http://www.nowearracing.com/intakegaskets.html

Other gaskets:
http://nagyperformancesystems.com/Gaskets_GXVB.html

dragster parts:
http://nagyperformancesystems.com/Components.html
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Plastic intake gaskets? Empty Re: Plastic intake gaskets?

Post  richter69 August 25th 2009, 11:12 pm

All the gaskets on the mod motors, 6.0/6.4 diesel etc are as you describe with a rubber/silicon seal impregnated, they are reusable as well.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 26th 2009, 12:30 am

Those look really cool! Do you use silicone on them first? You sure would have to make sure your heads/intake are parallel.

If you had your intake off two or three times, you'd cover the cost!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry_R August 26th 2009, 6:00 am

All the gaskets on the "other guys"Gen III LS1 engines are steel or plastic carrier with a silicone rubber sealing bead. They work perfect and last forever.

Barry_R

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 26th 2009, 6:52 am

Nice stuff, I remember talking with him at the bash also, nice guy.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 26th 2009, 7:52 am

ive also noticed alot of these guys are getting an o-ring groove machined in the heads and installing a rubber o-ring to fit in the groove . or atleast thats what i think i saw ....... Very Happy

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 26th 2009, 10:43 am

Back in my ole FE days,I used steel gaskets on my MR 427 and used them over and over Smile
Why is this not done today? or is it?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav August 26th 2009, 10:55 am

Those plastic intakes sound like the way to go to me. I didnt see the gasket for the china wall though.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 26th 2009, 12:33 pm

Don't need gaskets on the china walls, use silicon.

The plastic also help isolate some heat, not alot but some
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole September 8th 2009, 11:06 pm

I decided to give em a try. Guess I'll be the guinnea pig. LOL

They went on with no problem. I did have to open them up a little. My heads have been prted and were slightly larger than the openign in the gaskets. A few minutes with a die grinder and sanding roll took care of it. No leaks or anything. It will be interesting when the intake comes off again. (hopefully not for a long time). I did a spot test. I put a dab of silicone on a gasket and let it cure overnight. The silicone just peeled off.

Plastic intake gaskets? DSCF0002
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori September 8th 2009, 11:37 pm

They look great David!!

Did you run silicon around the ports then put on the gaskets? If so, do you have silicon on both sides of the gasket?

Those valley breather tubes are pretty trick looking too!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole September 9th 2009, 8:39 am

billandlori wrote:They look great David!!

Did you run silicon around the ports then put on the gaskets? If so, do you have silicon on both sides of the gasket?

Bill

I used just a litle silicone around each port. Just a little on the tip of my finger and smeared it on. I let it almost cure before I put the gaskets on. It was not sticky to the touch, but still soft. It's on both sides of the gasket. It should come off pretty easily the next time the intake is off. The ease of removal is part of why I used these gaskets. The other is fuel resistance. The fiber type gaskets tend to delaminate and start to come apart when using methanol. The plastic won't do that.

The valley tubes are nice. David Willingham made them for me. Tape the holes in the block for 1" npt. An A460 block doesn't even have to be drilled out. The holes are close enough. Not sure about a stock block. The stands are just a 3 1/2" long aluminum pipe nipple with threads on both ends. Cut it in half. David used his lathe, but you could use a chop saw or utility cutoff. Cut some slots in the top to be able to tighten it with a screwdriver. Finally, test fit it and cut off any extra threads that hang below the hole so it doesn't get hit by the cam.

Here is the pipe nipple I used:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#44665k146/=3k00sq
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori September 9th 2009, 11:05 am

David Cole wrote:
billandlori wrote:They look great David!!

Bill

I used just a litle silicone around each port. Just a little on the tip of my finger and smeared it on. I let it almost cure before I put the gaskets on. It was not sticky to the touch, but still soft. It's on both sides of the gasket. It should come off pretty easily the next time the intake is off. The ease of removal is part of why I used these gaskets. The other is fuel resistance. The fiber type gaskets tend to delaminate and start to come apart when using methanol. The plastic won't do that.

The valley tubes are nice. David Willingham made them for me. Tape the holes in the block for 1" npt. An A460 block doesn't even have to be drilled out. The holes are close enough. Not sure about a stock block. The stands are just a 3 1/2" long aluminum pipe nipple with threads on both ends. Cut it in half. David used his lathe, but you could use a chop saw or utility cutoff. Cut some slots in the top to be able to tighten it with a screwdriver. Finally, test fit it and cut off any extra threads that hang below the hole so it doesn't get hit by the cam.

Here is the pipe nipple I used:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#44665k146/=3k00sq

Thanks for the info David!!

I think those new gaskets would be less prone to getting sucked intot he port like the Fel-Pro ones do. I have tried FP ones and they seems to have a vac leak, then I switched to Mr Gasket and they leak coolant a little bit. I think I might be buying a set of plastic ones soon!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Plastic intake gaskets? Empty intake gaskets

Post  pajsid44 September 9th 2009, 3:41 pm

Hey guys just wanted to let you all know about these gaskets.... we've been using them for 4 years now on our pulling tractor, truck and the tire burning Torino... for your own peace of mind we used the spray gasket, silicon, and no gaskets with mainly the same results...no leaks... in reality these gaskets do not need silicon around the intake ports and from our prior experiences the fuel (vp late model plus) attacked the silicon and made it a doey mess that actually got in the intake track and onto the valve seat. As long as your heads and intake are machined correctly (parallel) to each other these things will seal. The only place we used rtv is on the china walls and on the water ports. You guys will not be disappointed with these gaskets they don’t rip, tear, push out or get ate away from salt water or alky, and as a bonus we've seen 20-30 degree difference from head to intake right after a pull. I guess if you guys want some here’s a link to his site. http://nagyperformancesystems.com/

I hope this sheds some light on this newer product
Keep posting the q's and I’ll try to answer them.
Later Josh
pajsid44
pajsid44

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down