BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High compression topic, dish vs flat top vs dome.

+10
cool40
IDT-572
bbf-falcon
KY JELLY
bruno
DanH
jbozzelle
Lem Evans
Curt
richter69
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

High compression topic, dish vs flat top vs dome. - Page 2 Empty Re: High compression topic, dish vs flat top vs dome.

Post  DanH September 23rd 2010, 11:14 am

Jon , i covered that in my first post in this thread . there is no one rule for pistons that fits all engines . who's going to run a dome piston iin a 34cc Yates head 408 inch sbf.

DanH

Back to top Go down

High compression topic, dish vs flat top vs dome. - Page 2 Empty Re: High compression topic, dish vs flat top vs dome.

Post  KY JELLY September 23rd 2010, 11:17 am

I did not say anywhere you should run 17:1 . I said 17:1 would work fine with alcohol

I do know for fact that knocking on 16:1 WITH A P-51 is not detrimental don't I lol!
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 23rd 2010, 11:21 am

I agree, cutting the heads a bunch to get there is not a good idea.

Last edited by richter69 on September 23rd 2010, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 23rd 2010, 11:35 am

I guess you will find out when you get the timing set , I would suppose lower than mine by what you have been telling me about flame propagation etc

Unless ole KY is right about dome area helping to vaporize alcohol better and you have to run a little more timing like Charlie's 533 had to with Flat tops and scj's lol!

KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 23rd 2010, 12:50 pm

KY JELLY wrote: I guess you will find out when you get the timing set , I would suppose lower than mine by what you have been telling me about flame propagation etc

Unless ole KY is right about dome area helping to vaporize alcohol better and you have to run a little more timing like Charlie's 533 had to with Flat tops and scj's lol!

28.5 degrees of timing with a dome to get max hp (er best performance).................... something is working right. Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 23rd 2010, 12:56 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by richter69 on September 23rd 2010, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 23rd 2010, 1:12 pm

"something is working right"
------------------------------------
Yes sir and it's called the P51/SCJ combustion chamber and spark plug location.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  away September 23rd 2010, 3:26 pm

Not familiar with the roundy round stuff at all. But someone please expound on why they like the cut the heads a bunch to get high compression with flat top pistons (very lightweight) so they can spin the crap out of it. If that method is better for high RPM's and on and off the gas situations as well as the shops claiming that it helps head flow......why would we not do the same......what is better......why??

away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 23rd 2010, 3:36 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
"something is working right"
------------------------------------
Yes sir and it's called the P51/SCJ combustion chamber and spark plug location.

Chevy guys wish they was us................... Laughing
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 23rd 2010, 3:43 pm

away wrote:Not familiar with the roundy round stuff at all. But someone please expound on why they like the cut the heads a bunch to get high compression with flat top pistons (very lightweight) so they can spin the crap out of it. If that method is better for high RPM's and on and off the gas situations as well as the shops claiming that it helps head flow......why would we not do the same......what is better......why??

My first guess is that it's becaue they are only allowed to run a certain part number "claimer" piston.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 23rd 2010, 4:48 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
away wrote:Not familiar with the roundy round stuff at all. But someone please expound on why they like the cut the heads a bunch to get high compression with flat top pistons (very lightweight) so they can spin the crap out of it. If that method is better for high RPM's and on and off the gas situations as well as the shops claiming that it helps head flow......why would we not do the same......what is better......why??

My first guess is that it's becaue they are only allowed to run a certain part number "claimer" piston.

Or a flat top piston rule, we have that here. stock stroke, stock rod length, flat top piston, and steel heads.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 23rd 2010, 5:29 pm

richter69 wrote:how big is a "nano" dome? .050? its not like they are Pike's Peak or anything lol.

The whole "skeeter" comment is what started this, truth is his "domes" are not that much of a dome............prolly why it works so well.

Add up the surface area of the dome you have vs a flat top...I'm sure the difference is marginal at best. If vaporazation is what your concerned with thats where M3 and M5 come into play.

If I had about .012-.015 more height on the dome I would be right at 17:1. You need to decide if your "theory" depends on compression ratio or dome height this ain't no bbc I got , it don't take a 1/2" dome to get there lol!

I have compared the flat top v/s the dome with Charlie's 533 and this 562 with (same or very very similar combustion chambers) I know what runs the best with less timing. And it ain't the flat tops

Smile
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 23rd 2010, 5:34 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by richter69 on September 23rd 2010, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 23rd 2010, 5:45 pm

richter69 wrote: But the two engines had different heads, cams, etc..................so the test results are inconclusive.

You'll need to stick that 562 on a dyno and change pistons to test your dome theory.

I'll venture a guess my flat top motor will make as much if not more than you dome motor..................I took the money I saved on rebalanceing it and spent it in other places that will be more beneficial........... Idea

Let me know how much that smog pump that will barely pull 4" on a non running engine helps........... Laughing

wanna put 5 grand on it same dyno ?
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 23rd 2010, 5:46 pm

Very Happy

Last edited by richter69 on September 23rd 2010, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 23rd 2010, 5:54 pm

[quote="richter69"]

Let me know how much that smog pump that will barely pull 4" on a non running engine helps........... Laughing [/quote]

Sleep

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 23rd 2010, 5:56 pm

I got a drysump pump and pan setting in the closet I can have on this thing in just a jiffy , I don't see me using a s-10 vac pump like you are getting "mad' and suggesting.

I don't guess you were paying attention when I told you Travis is sending me his belt driven vac pump to try out ?

YOU NEED TO LEARN TO CONTROL YOUR HeRO "emotions" lol!
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 23rd 2010, 6:38 pm

You know the problem with the internet is you don't know how to take someone. I'm not gettin into a pissin' contest over some idea's that neither one of us could prove anyway on a dyno or a racetrack.

I consider you a friend Randy, I'm not going down the same path I did with Dan, we ended up fixing it but I'm not gonna go through it again.

I'll delete all my negative posts, and start by saying I'm sorry. Its not that I think I'm wrong or your wrong, just not gonna get into this situation.

Now any of you other motherf-ers wanna have a go lets get it on.......... Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 23rd 2010, 7:06 pm

[quote="richter69"]

Now any of you other motherf-ers wanna have a go lets get it on.......... Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Cool [/quote]

Laughing Aint you got a storm to chase somewhere ?? Razz Wait, I guess that makes me a smog pump wear'n no runnin mfer ?? Laughing Damn I feel important now.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 23rd 2010, 7:07 pm

You're a pussy! (without shaft rockers) Twisted Evil
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 23rd 2010, 7:10 pm

no storms......but the Discovery show comes on in like 3 weeks lol.

and Curt, I challenge you to a pushrod duel........... Razz
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 23rd 2010, 7:33 pm

Challenge accepted! tongue
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 23rd 2010, 7:46 pm

I am not mad , and you don't owe me an apology. I told you what I think and I firmly believe what I said .

Like I said before I understand why you are using what you are and that's fine , but I was stating my opinion to what you posted and you kept posting so YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY lol!

No hard Feelings Mr FABIO lol!

I still have your pic in my album too Smile

High compression topic, dish vs flat top vs dome. - Page 2 2008BBFBashIIP1010020DenaroandJonFa
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans September 23rd 2010, 8:04 pm

I don't care who you are,,,,,,,dat right there is funny Laughing lol!

Mr. Fabio Fashion,

There is two different prices on your P(DD)51 cylinder heads. One price if you come to the next Bash,,,,and a much higher price if you don't come to the next Bash Exclamation Twisted Evil Plus, you'll get to meet DD Tonya if you do come. Cool Very Happy

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 23rd 2010, 9:12 pm

KY JELLY wrote:I am not mad , and you don't owe me an apology. I told you what I think and I firmly believe what I said .

Like I said before I understand why you are using what you are and that's fine , but I was stating my opinion to what you posted and you kept posting so YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY lol!

No hard Feelings Mr FABIO lol!

I still have your pic in my album too Smile

High compression topic, dish vs flat top vs dome. - Page 2 2008BBFBashIIP1010020DenaroandJonFa

Well I still firmly believe in what all I said as well, I'll leave it at that lol.

Man it was hot that year at the bash, and not just because I was there............. Razz

I'll start saving some money for the fuel bill to come see those DD's in person, best to leave the wife at home..but i doubt that will happen...........

Bout time to get a smack talk thread underway for next year.................
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next