BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C-6 question about pre-mature shifting

3 posters

Go down

C-6 question about pre-mature shifting Empty C-6 question about pre-mature shifting

Post  GCRACING August 28th 2009, 2:03 pm

Last time at the strip, my essentially stock vb C-6, while still in manual low, did a "way early" 1-2 shift. Linkeage is adjusted correctly. Ideas? Running behind a ~550 hp. BBF in a drag race application.

Thanks,
Greg C.

GCRACING

Back to top Go down

C-6 question about pre-mature shifting Empty Re: C-6 question about pre-mature shifting

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy August 28th 2009, 2:07 pm

I have the same problem right now. The last time this happened I put a new shifter cable on and everything was great....for a few years.

I use the Hurst Promatic on both T-Birds, but I am thinking of going to a nicer rear exit (for the cable) shifter because the Promatics are front exit cables and I think the cables are in too tight of a bind and that is what is causing the trouble.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

C-6 question about pre-mature shifting Empty Re: C-6 question about pre-mature shifting

Post  Greg_P August 28th 2009, 5:23 pm

I have had this problem before, and it turned out to be the manual valve adjustment inside the trans.

What was happening was that the detent spring was mis adjusted, and the manual valve was in the wrong position while in the 1st gear detent.

This ended up killing my trans.

I don't have the spec sheet in front of me, but there are dimensions and measurements taken in each detent and then adjustments are made to the detent assembly to properly position the manual valve.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  GCRACING September 1st 2009, 1:47 pm

Thanks. My next stop is checking cable adjustment vs. shift valve location. Anything is possible...

Thanks for the input.

Greg C.

GCRACING

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down