BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

powerglide shifter ????

4 posters

Go down

powerglide shifter ???? Empty powerglide shifter ????

Post  bird of prey August 31st 2009, 9:51 pm

i have a TCI powerglide, whats the trick to hooking up the shifter. coming at it from the rear the cable is always the opposite. (shifter in park trans is in 1st) do i have to bring the shifter cable in from the front? i have a rear exit shifter and it seems it's not going to work. is there some kind of bracket made to bring the cable around to the front? hope this makes sense.
bird of prey
bird of prey

Back to top Go down

powerglide shifter ???? Empty Re: powerglide shifter ????

Post  richter69 August 31st 2009, 9:53 pm

might be easier to get a front exit cable shifter than to try and make it work. Seems someone on YB had the same issue and they found a bracket or ???
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  85montess September 1st 2009, 9:00 am

The shifter lever in the transmission will need to be changed (make sure that you get one that is compatible with your shifter as there are different hole sizes and locations and if not correct you won't be able to lock it in Park and have the other gears aligned correctly) and will be reinstalled with it pointing upward instead of down. I had to do this with my shifter (QuarterPro), but I really like it.
85montess
85montess

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole September 1st 2009, 9:33 am

Does the shift lever on the trans point up or down? It must to be be reversed and point up for a cable that comes from the rear. As 85 montess already said the shift lever also has to match the shifter. Most of the shifters have one of three different lengths of movement between gears.

The simple solution as a Universal shift lever. Many trans companies off them. The lever itself can be flipped up or down just by removing a nut on the outside. It also has 3 different holes for the cable that matches the different throws of the various shifters.

I have this one:
http://www.bteracing.com/Detail.asp?sku=BTE248450
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  bird of prey September 1st 2009, 11:38 am

the trans shift lever does come off. i took it off and got it pointing up now. i was hoping there was some kind of a bracket to hold the shift cable? i guess ill have to figure out how to make one. thanks guys.
bird of prey
bird of prey

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole September 1st 2009, 2:30 pm

What brand shifter is it? Most of the shifter mfg's have a specfic cable bracket for each shifter.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down