BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just another noob.

2 posters

Go down

just another noob. Empty just another noob.

Post  ffactoro1 January 31st 2011, 7:27 pm

helloo to everyone! I am the proud owner of a '97 F-350 crewcab srw w/ fullsize bed running a 460 and a 5- speed. I am a diehard Ford man but lately have been debating swapping my (gasp!) 460 for a Cummins. Please talk me down from the edge! I have a 27 ft camper that weighs around 7200lbs and want to get better than the 5-6 mpg I get towing it. I have been looking for any alternative to oil burning. What can I do for under 4-5 grand to get better mileage? I currently average 9-11 mpg on highway not towing and am looking to get at least that towing. I have tried towing in fifth gear for better mileage but it sends my trans temp through the roof. I am considering running a remote oil cooler setup on it using a turbo oil pump to reduce my oil temps. am I wasting my time with this? I also found that there is no diagnostic (OBD) port on my truck. Is this because it is in the commercial duty gvw class? I am now serving in the desert so I have time to learn before I commit 460 suicide!!
thanks for any input!

ffactoro1

Back to top Go down

just another noob. Empty Re: just another noob.

Post  richter69 January 31st 2011, 9:43 pm

I know these are 460 folks and all, but being a diesel tech....they be hard to beat.......... Wink

welcome to the site.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down