BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles

3 posters

Go down

kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles Empty kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles

Post  Greg_P February 24th 2011, 11:47 pm

Im replacing the gears in the front of my F350. I have had some kind of on center binding in the steering for a couple of years. Finally replaced all the steering parts except the kingpins themselves.

So.

What wears out up there?

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles Empty Re: kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles

Post  56Tbird February 25th 2011, 9:57 am

Usually they get dry on grease and freeze up or wear on themselves.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles Empty Re: kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles

Post  Greg_P February 25th 2011, 11:41 am

I popped the upper and lower plates off the driver's side, and it was full of grease. But it looks like the upper joint is a plastic ball?

The lower joint I ca't get to I guess without taking the upper pin out.....which I'm not sure how to do....

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

kingpin dana 60..... what wears out on the steering knuckles Empty D-60

Post  Mark Laczo February 25th 2011, 9:31 pm

On those king pins that is a plastic sleeve, and there should be a spring in there too, once it wears out it will be metal on metal. The bottom has a bearing if I remember correctly its been about 10 years since I rebuild one. The cone can also be changed out it uses a large allen socket, I'll try to find a pic.

Okay found a link and a schematic for you with instructions ! LOL Go for it.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Kingpin/index.html

FWIW Mark

Last edited by Mark Laczo on February 25th 2011, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Link)
Mark Laczo
Mark Laczo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down