BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crack would be a cheaper hobby

+12
schmitty
nuclearcobra
95lightiningguy
maverick
69F100
richter69
Larry T
BigDave65
GTmustang
bb429power
frank13
77f150
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crack would be a cheaper hobby Empty Crack would be a cheaper hobby

Post  77f150 February 25th 2011, 8:44 pm

Now I know my spending pales in comparison to those of you racing or into serious builds but it amazes me how one thing leads to another. This winter I decided to finally do the rear disc brake & hydroboost swap, I thought I had the bulk of the parts but it amazed me how many extra lines and fittings I needed to buy. Then was the shifter swap, the B&M Megashifter being swapped for the Percision Performance Shifter. Well the cable needed to be replaced, an aluminum box had to be built to get a comfortable angle and wiring in the reverse light switch. This was after I just went through a full rebuild on the C6. While running some wires I noticed some burnt wiring so the whole damn dash is gutted and getting completely re-wired with relays and updated fuse panels mounted in a better spot. Finally the new center section, I picked up a Yukon Extra HD iron case on sale. Well no sense putting that in without the Daytona pinion support. Looking at the parts it seemed a shame to install it with the old bolts so ARP is being used to put everything together. Then a rebuild kit and since it's gotten this far also adding in a forged yoke.

Like I said, crack would probably be less addictive.......and maybe cheaper Laughing
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Crack would be a cheaper hobby Empty Re: Crack would be a cheaper hobby

Post  frank13 February 25th 2011, 8:54 pm

its post like this that makes me keep my gf off the site! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 25th 2011, 8:59 pm

I know exactly what you mean Laughing You could start with a setup with a price of $150 then end up going, oh its only a little extra, well this is only a little more than THAT, and on and on until you end up spending $400 not knowing how you got there Smile I speak from experience study
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang February 25th 2011, 9:32 pm

bb429power wrote:I know exactly what you mean Laughing You could start with a setup with a price of $150 then end up going, oh its only a little extra, well this is only a little more than THAT, and on and on until you end up spending $400 not knowing how you got there Smile I speak from experience study
And then the $400 becomes $4,000 and it never stops! Crack would probably be cheaper!
Were addicted to horsepower, and horsepower costs money!
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 25th 2011, 9:34 pm

GTmustang wrote:
bb429power wrote:I know exactly what you mean Laughing You could start with a setup with a price of $150 then end up going, oh its only a little extra, well this is only a little more than THAT, and on and on until you end up spending $400 not knowing how you got there Smile I speak from experience study
And then the $400 becomes $4,000 and it never stops! Crack would probably be cheaper!
Were addicted to horsepower, and horsepower costs money!
Gary
I haven't got to that point yet Razz But then something breaks and it starts all over again and gets even worse! bounce
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 February 25th 2011, 9:34 pm

Thats exactly why it pays to go ahead and buy good parts the first time. You don't have to replace junk later.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 25th 2011, 9:35 pm

BigDave65 wrote:Thats exactly why it pays to go ahead and buy good parts the first time. You don't have to replace junk later.
You buy cheap you buy twice!
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T February 25th 2011, 9:38 pm

Oooooooooo i know what you mean but in a little different way.back last october i bought a 99 f250 7.3 that was the early model "bastard child".long story short i now have all the parts to finish up the later model turbo swap.the truck hasnt moved in over 4 weeks new tires,fuel injectors,wires,gaskets,4" stainless down pipe,turbo rebuild kit etc,etc,etc,ect............so i have spent over 4,500 as she sits in the driveway.maybe the sun will shine on that beast tomorrow and i will get to go tnt sunday. Smile
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 25th 2011, 9:53 pm

I like tools, but even so I'm a tight SOB on the Snap On truck.

race parts...................I dont even bat an eye bom

This last go round has been in the 10k area..............and I'd do it again lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 25th 2011, 10:05 pm

richter69 wrote:I like tools, but even so I'm a tight SOB on the Snap On truck.

race parts...................I dont even bat an eye bom

This last go round has been in the 10k area..............and I'd do it again lol.
Tools? That reminds me of something I need to post...
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 25th 2011, 10:53 pm

I know what you mean a simple cam swap,new valves, slicks and a few little things was just going to spend $1000.Now I have spent over $2000 on it and still don't have it back in yet.I decided to get pistons, another dizzy,new coil,new gauges,had to get new pushrods.got another trans dip stick lokar.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 25th 2011, 10:55 pm

69F100 wrote:......got another trans dip stick lokar.

Jim
Speaking of dipsticks, I may be spending $58 for a dipstick and tube setup affraid That's rediculos
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 25th 2011, 11:06 pm

try having 2 cars lol. I dont have to buy parts for the 81, but all the fuel and entry fee expense plus fuel there and back is on me.

I have 200 gals of meth, 75 of M5, and enough race gas for the primer..........all set for fuel. Need to pick up another pair of slicks for the 69.............now if I can just afford the damn diesel I'll be fine..........

no more upgrades for awhile..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 25th 2011, 11:09 pm

[quote="richter69"]try having 2 cars lol. I dont have to buy parts for the 81, but all the fuel and entry fee expense plus fuel there and back is on me.

I have 200 gals of meth, 75 of M5, and enough race gas for the primer..........all set for fuel. Need to pick up another pair of slicks for the 69.............now if I can just afford the damn diesel I'll be fine..........

no more upgrades for awhile.......... [/quote

X2 wonder why you got to buy another set of slick Twisted Evil lol!

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 25th 2011, 11:24 pm

[quote="69F100"][quote="richter69"]try having 2 cars lol. I dont have to buy parts for the 81, but all the fuel and entry fee expense plus fuel there and back is on me.

God forbid an episode where your stuff comes all "un-manufactured" all over the track..... What a Face .... or maybe rub the wall at an 80* angle. Shocked That 's the kind of s%#t that'll make a normal man take up gardening....NOT US....I said a NORMAL MAN. Rolling Eyes
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 25th 2011, 11:26 pm

I've blown up my share of stuff, I always fix it, and its always faster.............. Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 25th 2011, 11:28 pm

richter69 wrote:I've blown up my share of stuff, I always fix it, and its always faster.............. Cool

Again....NORMAL is the key word here. Laughing
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy February 26th 2011, 4:38 am

Decided to put a v8 in the 89 f150 that had a six. Had all the parts layin around for the engine, I've got enough small block stuff to put together 2 or 3, figured buy a flywheel, regulator for the fuel pressure, with about $250 in parts and "viola" v8 power. Evil or Very Mad After lots of aggrevation and $1200 I still dont have it right. Laughing
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra February 26th 2011, 7:58 am

Yea i've torched a few too Surprised and twice it was at a tnt with new motors to see how they run, now thats depressing when its a brand new motor and more so when you find out it blew because of something so simple and overlooked or underthought about Rolling Eyes heres one i put on here before a 306'' swung to 7k at a tnt when it was 26 degrees out with ice cold vr1-20w50 oil it was a lack of volume at that rpm,the oil leaking out of the holes in the pan was ice cold and it burned a rod bearing. b Crack would be a cheaper hobby Th_IMG_7434-1 Crack would be a cheaper hobby Th_IMG_7443-1 Crack would be a cheaper hobby Th_IMG_7445-1
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  77f150 February 26th 2011, 9:11 am

Thank-you Gentleman, this has been like a reverse intervention. Instead of seeking change we support each other in our addiction, I feel so much better now Very Happy
77f150
77f150

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang February 26th 2011, 9:21 am

maverick wrote:or maybe rub the wall at an 80* angle. Shocked That 's the kind of s%#t that'll make a normal man take up gardening....NOT US....I said a NORMAL MAN. Rolling Eyes
Unfortunately that was the result of my last pass down the dragstrip, It's not going to be either cheap or easy to fix- and then the car will need a new $$$$$$ paint job and then maybe a few more upgrades and then I probably could use some more HORSEPOWER! It never ends! Unfortunately I've been hooked on fast cars since I was 14 and my sister brought home a new '67 GTO and took me for a ride. I've been paying for my "addiction" ever since.
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 26th 2011, 10:33 am

Gary, not too long after your accident some guy in a black fox body did the same thing at Milan. He stopped just before the finish line and man that thing was messed up.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 26th 2011, 10:59 am

77f150 wrote:Thank-you Gentleman, this has been like a reverse intervention. Instead of seeking change we support each other in our addiction, I feel so much better now Very Happy

I've never considered selling my stuff or getting out of racing, in fact this is the only "racecar" I have ever had.

If the dragstrips all close down tags and mufflers will go back on it lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty February 26th 2011, 11:17 am

I am with you on this. I was having fun putting down some good power and decided that is kicking butt by a good margin isn't good enough, I am going to have to lay it down on the comp big time. 600ci C heads and 1000 or more hp should get it done. Only thing is that means redoing the chassis, and the rear end won't be able to handle it without some major upgrades, trans needs more, etc, etc,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but I always say, I can't take it with me, and the kids would just blow it on stupid stuff if I left it to them. Laughing
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  342g February 26th 2011, 11:22 am

schmitty wrote:I am with you on this. I was having fun putting down some good power and decided that is kicking butt by a good margin isn't good enough, I am going to have to lay it down on the comp big time. 600ci C heads and 1000 or more hp should get it done. Only thing is that means redoing the chassis, and the rear end won't be able to handle it without some major upgrades, trans needs more, etc, etc,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, but I always say, I can't take it with me, and the kids would just blow it on stupid stuff if I left it to them. Laughing

My thoughts exactly, my son is always asking me how much money am I leaving him, I told him when he sees the for sale sign in the front yard, he better start looking for a second job, me and momma done spent it all.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next