BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter....

+4
83-88T-Bird Guy
the Coug
Michael M
jbozzelle
8 posters

Go down

Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter.... Empty Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter....

Post  jbozzelle March 10th 2011, 2:06 am

I'm looking for a BBF to glide crank pilot adapter. I thought JW made one but didn't see it on their site. Anybody know who makes one and maybe has one in stock?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter.... Empty Re: Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter....

Post  Michael M March 10th 2011, 2:34 am

Think it's a JW 80002-1 Summit or Jegs maybe.

Michael M

Back to top Go down

Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter.... Empty Re: Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter....

Post  jbozzelle March 10th 2011, 2:41 am

That's it. Thanks.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 10th 2011, 8:09 am

I always just make my own.....what dia inside and out and how long?
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy March 10th 2011, 8:21 am

the Coug wrote:I always just make my own.....what dia inside and out and how long?

I hear that.
The first thing I noticed when I got my JW 80002-1 was that the diameter was too large where it goes into the crank. Mad
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 10th 2011, 8:59 am

I allways keep a piece on the shelf rough cut 10 or so long so all I have to do is finish the outside dia and polish the inside and cut to length....also measure my converter depth and cut my spacers out of 4340 and 8 grade bolts

John get me the out side dia inside dia and guess the length and send me a PM....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 March 10th 2011, 6:36 pm

Item# 564-80002-1 @ Jegs 21$

Note: I bought one of these once and it was to
ID was too small for conv pilot bound up make sure you test fit

Coug,
I just made one OD 2.0 x .580 long
Section going into crank 1.830 dia. x .375 long ,
ID 1.705

Very Happy
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 March 10th 2011, 6:44 pm

My experience with these little buggers, is that they need a good interference fit and some red Locite to keep them into the crank. I am considering making some with a hex on the OD, to make them easier to remove when swapping engines. I have experienced them "walking out" of the crank. I always lube the ID to allow the natural movement of the converter as it expands....
I guess...a custom length one could not walk out of the crank...if it was longer....
This stuff never stops...the little parts drive me insane.
:-)
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 March 10th 2011, 7:10 pm

The one from JW I had was too long and hit the convertor and the ID was too small.
Like Keith said I used never sieze on the ID and made sure the conv. would side back and forth

A hex would be good I ground two small slots 180 apart on the OD for use screwdrivers to pry it out next time
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 10th 2011, 9:17 pm

BIGDOG466 wrote:The one from JW I had was too long and hit the convertor.............

Aren't they supposed to be milled to fit anyway? You think some Permatex or 3M Yellow Glue would hold it into the crank real well? For some reason I forsee the red Loctite breaking loose.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 March 10th 2011, 9:48 pm

I had one walk out of the crank myself once, knocked the bearing out of the pump side of the convertor.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Part number for a glide to BBF crank pilot adapter.... Empty Mysteries of the Universe

Post  Wheelie58 March 11th 2011, 8:54 am

The forces applied to this innocent looking little part must fall into the category of "unexplained mysteries".
The whole concept is real simple...just adapt the 1.850 hole to accept the 1.70 converter pilot. (approximate numbers...) You would think that, when the trans to engine alignment is correct, there is no load applied to the adapter.
So, if it fits the crank with about a .0005 interference fit (a nice whack with a block of wood and a hammer!), it should never come out.
My shadetree analysis of the fretting, galling and wear that I have noticed on the ID of the bushing is that the converter does not maintain the same dimension when hot, full of fluid and spinning 7,600 RPM. My converter gurus agree that all converters "balloon" while in use. The anti-ballon plates make it much better and help control it....but the converter is going to grow and move around when you hit it with the normal 800 to 1100 HP that most race BBFs produce. This is also influenced by the flexplate....errrr...flexing as the engine runs.
My recent failure of a racing flexplate, cracked about 90% around the center allowed the converter bolts to flex forward enough to mill a groove on my starter. That is about 1/2 inch. The screw-on pilot on the front of my race converter had even unscrewed itself and was laying inside the crank bore.
Not wanting to hijack this thread....but I just wanted to share my observations....and stir up some more thoughts.
Keith Fulp
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 11th 2011, 1:43 pm

Coug,

I already ordered the JW piece before you posted. It'll be in today. I'll see how it all works tomorrow. Hopefully it looks different than the picture on the Jeg's website. That picture makes it look like it only slides in the crank maybe 1/4". No way will that work with a 1/2" midplate setup...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 11th 2011, 6:15 pm

I have always had to make mine on the lathe too. No where close to working.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 March 11th 2011, 7:11 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Coug,

I already ordered the JW piece before you posted. It'll be in today. I'll see how it all works tomorrow. Hopefully it looks different than the picture on the Jeg's website. That picture makes it look like it only slides in the crank maybe 1/4". No way will that work with a 1/2" midplate setup...

It will go in the crank 3/8 thats as deep as you can go on a stock crank, I had to cut mine down because I dont run a midplate. 1/2 mid plate it may be a bit short. Also a aftermart crank may be totaly differnt.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down