BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil dipstick??

5 posters

Go down

oil dipstick?? Empty oil dipstick??

Post  stanggt September 8th 2011, 5:24 pm

Is there a better alternative dipstick to use on these 460's? mine threads in and is tight but still leaks oil and sprays it on header when I jump on it. What to do?
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

oil dipstick?? Empty Re: oil dipstick??

Post  richter69 September 8th 2011, 5:33 pm

Whats a dipstick? If you know how much it holds just put that amount in, if it burns enough you need a stick to check it fix the consumption problem lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 8th 2011, 5:47 pm

Check and make sure it is not coming out where the treaded part that is rivited on the pan.I had one on a 351w leaking thought it was coming from the dip stick but it was caming out between the pan and the treaded part the gaskit was gone out from between it.I fixed it by cleaning it good with carb cleaner the sanded around it and J B welded it.Just something you might want to check before buying a new dip stick and still have it leaking.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 9th 2011, 1:38 pm

imo a dip stick is nice too have because I can take a quick peak just too see if the oil looks ok.such as moisture or whatever. Some people don't care what it looks like ,but I do. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  James1965 September 10th 2011, 6:18 am

I agree, it isn't a necessary thing if you KNOW your engine is perfect, but this is not a perfect world. being able to check the color, and level of your oil is much cheaper and faster with a dipstick than a seized engine and a tow. of course if you only trailer the thing and show it sitting there, oil is optional.
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down