BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS

+11
Tennessee Bullitt
Doug Rahn
Bsherry
jbozzelle
jasonf
dr's wife racing
Lem Evans
blown86hallet
richter69
IDT-572
BOSS 429
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS - Page 2 Empty Re: WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS

Post  BOSS 429 September 21st 2011, 12:11 am

richter69 wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Can the SCJs be ported to flow as good as a set of ported P51s? Or is ther enot enough port wall available to do it?

more to it than just flow lol.

so very true
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS - Page 2 Empty Re: WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS

Post  BOSS 429 September 21st 2011, 12:19 am

dr's wife racing wrote:Is the question your looking to answer at what CIt,ight does the SCJ becone a limiting factor to the combo? I would like to knowth answer to that one only I have 1st gen CJ's I know it depends on the flow #'s on any given head but a ball park for a set of racepreped heads would be what I would be interested in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

answer,no . not looking for an answer for that.

just how large of an engine has anyone done with scj heads? a429's? you can make good power with those dr, just port them right,and use the right cam
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Bsherry September 21st 2011, 4:35 am

It looks like your answer is 598 and if that motor can take a 5000 lbs barn door (large frontal mass) down the track in the 10s, I don't think you would be disappointed with the results.

Bruce
Bsherry
Bsherry
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 21st 2011, 9:09 am

Its not for me,its one im doing and was just wondering displacement of others. This will be a lot smaller engine then those. heads i have ill put on the bench,and then port some,and then back to the bench.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 21st 2011, 10:10 am

BOSS 429 wrote:Its not for me,its one im doing and was just wondering displacement of others. This will be a lot smaller engine then those. heads i have ill put on the bench,and then port some,and then back to the bench.

Be very careful at porting the long wall/short side radius area. It's thin and you'll keep finding air-flow there until you break through to the water jacket.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno September 21st 2011, 10:21 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:Its not for me,its one im doing and was just wondering displacement of others. This will be a lot smaller engine then those. heads i have ill put on the bench,and then port some,and then back to the bench.

Be very careful at porting the long wall/short side radius area. It's thin and you'll keep finding air-flow there until you break through to the water jacket.

WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS - Page 2 Svrerepair002

WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS - Page 2 Svrerepair001

WHATS THE BIGGEST CI. WITH SCJ HEADS - Page 2 Svrerepair003

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 21st 2011, 10:27 am

rmcomprandy wrote:

ya,lol your so right,my freinds have struck water in these heads,lol
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 21st 2011, 10:34 am

BOSS 429 wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

ya,lol your so right,my freinds have struck water in these heads,lol
Thats what welders are for.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing September 21st 2011, 10:58 am

BOSS 429 wrote:
dr's wife racing wrote:Is the question your looking to answer at what CIt,ight does the SCJ becone a limiting factor to the combo? I would like to knowth answer to that one only I have 1st gen CJ's I know it depends on the flow #'s on any given head but a ball park for a set of racepreped heads would be what I would be interested in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

answer,no . not looking for an answer for that.

I,ve had mine for yrs on several different combo's They are on a 533 ci right now.Blake ported the heads's and did the cam combo.It runs consistant 5.70,s now on foot brake at a little over 3000 lbs Power seems to come at 6200 and below. I've been very pleased with them over the yr's.But from watching Barney and Yellow Horse I think cast iron d 9's may be the way to go.

just how large of an engine has anyone done with scj heads? a429's? you can make good power with those dr, just port them right,and use the right cam
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 21st 2011, 1:34 pm

\I,ve had mine for yrs on several different combo's They are on a 533 ci right now.Blake ported the heads's and did the cam combo.It runs consistant 5.70,s now on foot brake at a little over 3000 lbs Power seems to come at 6200 and below. I've been very pleased with them over the yr's.But from watching Barney and Yellow Horse I think cast iron d 9's may be the way to go.

ya ive made good power for these guys with cast iron heads ( ive done a lot with them) 960's and 5.50's i say is fair with a c9ve,and dove heads), but 3 of the guys want to loose some front end weight,and go a little faster

. they started out with iron heads either because they had them, or wanted to go 9's and or 8's with them ,now we've done that.

but dr its not easy, ive got hours and hours in all of there stuff, for about the last 3 months ive been thinking about this new combo.

im going to flow them( i really dont care what the nums are its just a refrence ) and see where i can go from there with the cam,and piston
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing September 21st 2011, 1:43 pm

I know that is a difficult task to with those heads.I just ment to pay a complament to yellowhorse, I was very impressed with the way they ran at the Bash this year.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 21st 2011, 8:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Can the SCJs be ported to flow as good as a set of ported P51s? Or is ther enot enough port wall available to do it?

The port within a P-51 head IS an "out of the box" version of a ported SCJ. The ports of an SCJ cannot be made as large as those in a "ported" P-51 without a bunch of welding. Simply because the ports in a head are larger and flow more air, doesn't make it a BETTER head ... the better head would be determined by the application.

The combustion chamber shape and intake rocker stud angles have also been changed on a P-51 head.

I'd guess the 'little' 547" deal I did for Morgan Oakley has long been forgotten....SCJ from hell Laughing . Went as quick as 4.89 in Dave Coles old dragster.........unported heads.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder September 22nd 2011, 3:03 am

Lem Evans wrote:I'd guess the 'little' 547" deal I did for Morgan Oakley has long been forgotten....SCJ from hell Laughing . Went as quick as 4.89 in Dave Coles old dragster.........unported heads.

Was this engine ever put on a dyno? I am curious about the torque curve of a build like this with unported heads.

Thanks,
DS

wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 22nd 2011, 9:47 am

Only on the asphalt dyno.........shifted at 6,800 rpm.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2