BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another question about engine plates ,

+9
Doug Rahn
jbozzelle
XEngr
bbf-falcon
rmcomprandy
John Myrick
Gregaust
56Tbird
darren
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another question about engine plates , Empty Another question about engine plates ,

Post  darren October 14th 2011, 9:00 pm

Can you run a engine plate in a street car.
also would arp 12 point stainless steel fasterners be upto the job
darren
darren

Back to top Go down

Another question about engine plates , Empty Re: Another question about engine plates ,

Post  56Tbird October 14th 2011, 9:10 pm

Yes ,a plate will work fine in a street car, and the arp bolts will work.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Another question about engine plates , Empty Re: Another question about engine plates ,

Post  darren October 14th 2011, 9:31 pm

Thank you 56Tbird.
darren
darren

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust October 15th 2011, 5:04 am

Some guys here use bushed ends where the plate mounts the chassis in streeters as opposed to solid .

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  darren October 15th 2011, 5:40 am

Ok Thanks for the reply Gregaust
If you rubber mount the plate , wouldn't that defeat the purpose of it.
darren
darren

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick October 15th 2011, 6:24 am

I believe the main intent of motor plates, are to allow the placement of the engine in any position you see fit.
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  darren October 15th 2011, 6:59 am

I agreee with you to mount a engine,also handy for engine conversions,
the main reasons I want to use a plate is to gain some clearance ,with right hand drive I suffer from headers,starter and steering issues.
and I want to tighten up the chassis
darren
darren

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 15th 2011, 1:19 pm

darren wrote:Ok Thanks for the reply Gregaust

One of the purposes of using a front mounted motor plate is that there will be no mounts on the side and therefore more room to use whatever header combination you wish to run.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 15th 2011, 1:35 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
darren wrote:Ok Thanks for the reply Gregaust

One of the purposes of using a front mounted motor plate is that there will be no mounts on the side and therefore more room to use whatever header combination you wish to run.

X2,plus it's great too hang ACC's. on Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  darren October 15th 2011, 8:25 pm

BBF-falcon ,I like what you are saying
darren
darren

Back to top Go down

Post  XEngr October 20th 2011, 4:14 pm

Next car I build is getting a rear plate hanging off of a cross tube running right above the transmission bellhousing. 15 or 20 years ago I saw some Nascar guys using this arrangement and have seen a few Detroit built drag cars with this setup.

XEngr

Back to top Go down

Post  darren October 20th 2011, 8:42 pm

Sounds good.
what car do you have now.
darren
darren

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 21st 2011, 9:50 am

XEngr wrote:Next car I build is getting a rear plate hanging off of a cross tube running right above the transmission bellhousing. 15 or 20 years ago I saw some Nascar guys using this arrangement and have seen a few Detroit built drag cars with this setup.

Blake has this on his car.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 23rd 2011, 7:12 am

jbozzelle wrote:
XEngr wrote:Next car I build is getting a rear plate hanging off of a cross tube running right above the transmission bellhousing. 15 or 20 years ago I saw some Nascar guys using this arrangement and have seen a few Detroit built drag cars with this setup.

Blake has this on his car.

I believe Fabio the HeRo has the same setup on his car too. There may be some photos on here somewhere or maybe it's on the old forum. I've considered doing that myself to open up some room, it gets damn tight down there.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 23rd 2011, 10:13 am

I have a front motorplate and a midplate, the midplate is attached to both frame rails as well as a bar running across the back of the firewall that has spacers that go through the firewall and attach to the top of the midplate also. I don not run a tranny mount, rather the lateral engine limiters attach where the trans mount would be and run back to the driveshaft loop.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick October 23rd 2011, 10:32 am

Jon, do you have any pics of the plates and mounts ?
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 23rd 2011, 10:35 am

Another question about engine plates , TV10-17-09002-24

Another question about engine plates , TV10-17-09008

This is on the smallblock car but same set up

Another question about engine plates , TV10-17-09003-17
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  138 October 23rd 2011, 11:35 am

Thats pretty slick... But given where your exhaust exits now would you have just gone with the crossmember now?

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn October 23rd 2011, 11:44 am

This is what I thought about doing and just eliminate the mounts on the frame rails. Green bar is my current dash bash, red are the added drops, the blue tubes would pierce the firewall and I can use my current mid plate with some mods.

Another question about engine plates , MidPlatetoDashBar
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 23rd 2011, 12:10 pm

I wanted to do that to mine but I didn't have to time....

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 23rd 2011, 2:00 pm

138 wrote:Thats pretty slick... But given where your exhaust exits now would you have just gone with the crossmember now?

no.

I feel the midplate needs to connect at the framerails also, it just ties everything together.

On a BBF fox I'd take the collectors out the front fender, this is the industry std now.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams October 23rd 2011, 4:40 pm

richter69 wrote:
138 wrote:Thats pretty slick... But given where your exhaust exits now would you have just gone with the crossmember now?

no.

I feel the midplate needs to connect at the framerails also, it just ties everything together.

On a BBF fox I'd take the collectors out the front fender, this is the industry std now.

is there a horse power advantage to bringing the collecters out the fenders?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  138 October 23rd 2011, 5:14 pm

I was talking about the bars on your trans...

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 23rd 2011, 7:27 pm

In my opinion if someone was going to use any one of the many different "mid plate tree" style tubing mounts/designs it's best to have the "tree" actually connect to both the dash bar and the main frame rails. This way you have mid plate mounting bolts at both the lower frame rail area and up around the dash bar area. Just mounting the mid plate only to the dash bar can result in the dash bar (and also windshield bars) flexing/moving around. The goal isn't to replace the lower fame mid plate mounts with upper dash bar mid plate mounts for more header room. The idea is to use both upper & lower mounting points to better anchor the mid plate to the chassis and the cage at the same time.

Having the headers exiting out the side of the front fender vs under the car has a few pros/cons.........

Pros.....

1 Can reduce the noise inside the car, especially on a car with a full chassis and/or an aluminum floor.

2 Can reduce the amount of cracks showing up in the floor/firewall area over time from exhaust vibration.

3 Can reduce the amount of exhaust gases building up under the car (and getting into the driver compartment), especially on a full chassis car.

4 Looks really cool on a big/multiple stage nitrous car with the long blue flames coming out the sides of the car.

Cons......

1 Increased chance of fiberglass fender damage around the exit hole cut for the collector from exhaust vibration. Using a stainless steel/aluminum/carbon fiber trim ring around the hole can help reduce the damage.

2 Makes it a little harder to remove a fiberglass lift-off nose from the car. How much harder depends on how far the collector hangs out the fender hole, and the exit hole placement on the fender it's self. If the exit hole sits way back at the fender/door jam area and is an open-ended "slot" instead of a round "hole" it's a piece of cake. If it's a round hole somewhere in the middle of the fender it makes it a little harder.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 23rd 2011, 7:35 pm

I did the headers on the outside of the frame rails mainly so i didnt have to pull one side off to get the damn tranny out...............not that its been out, I had to make new ones anyway so it was a no brainer,

The tires will run the tubes though at full lock.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next