BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

school me on heads

+2
466cj
2fox
6 posters

Go down

school me on heads Empty school me on heads

Post  2fox May 11th 2012, 1:28 am

Iron school.heads.to anything but the c port is that mean chevy. Exhausted ports?
are.iron heads really any good.?
on budget what's the cheapest.to.better heads in that order.is there.ahead link possibly? I missed.
just saying if p51 out the box.what are the flow.numbers compared.to like.the.edel, TF,
of.only.500 bucks more.for.the better heads I'd good for.that even. I would.like a STD. Exhausted port size not looking to be the baddest car.out there by any means 1/4 er.not even that often.

2fox

Back to top Go down

school me on heads Empty Re: school me on heads

Post  466cj May 11th 2012, 4:26 am

This link has a lot of information on the different heads and which "class" each belongs to:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97305

It is a few years old so just to hit a point or two on some of the newer heads. The P-51 is a revised and improved version of Kaase SCJ head which can be considered a "CJ" type head with revised valve angles, but std CJ port locations. In the pecking I'd say the P-51 is at the high end of the "CJ" class and nipping at the bottom of the A-head's.

The TFS 290 streets is a std intake port, raised exhaust port, std valve angle head that falls mid-pack in the "CJ" head. The TFS 325 Streets is a CNC ported version of the 290 that have a CJ sized intake and be in the upper part of the "CJ" family.

Now keep in mind this is kinda "out of box" as any of these heads can be ported and modified to work better depending on the application so can quickly become comparing apples and oranges. To generalize something higher in the pack could be considered to have more potential, although again application plays a role too.

To run a 9.90 in a 2,900 lbs. car, provided the car is working well that can be done with a 466, 12:1 CR, Ported D0VE heads, Victor intake, dominator carb., and an off the shelf solid lifter cam.

Here is a link to a guy with a Fox Mustang, about same weight (2880 lbs.) ran 9.97 with that combo:

http://www.460ford.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-156495.html

What you need and what you want are two different things. Very important to understand everything has to work together to get the result. The above example I'd say works very well everything considered. Some have way better parts and get no better results.

Right now a good bang for the buck combo would be a 521 using the FRPP M-6013-521 rotating assembly, SCJ-A heads, Victor Dominator intake, and a properly spec'd solid lifter cam. I'd zero deck the block. The CR is only 10.6 The rods, crank, and pistons are "one off's", but for today it is a performance bargin.

Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  cturk1010 May 11th 2012, 5:57 am

depends on your "budget" build if your looking to buy heads a set of dove heads can be found for a few hundred bucks and if you send them in to be ported you can spend anyware from 500 to over 1000 to do so if you want alluminum heads you can get them starting around 2000 buck and they will be a better head out of the box than the stock dove heads or c8 heads but for a budget if it is anything like mine iron heads work good if you do some porting on the exaust the amound of stuff you can do to the motors is almost endless if your wallet has no botom

cturk1010

Back to top Go down

Post  2fox May 11th 2012, 8:55 am

Budget does call for alum heads. Not iron heads here I saw some TF 360cc ??? But A head. Sure they make headers for a fox body. Just trying to put stuff on papper. Thanks all. SomeTF are for A460 blocks only and TF intake.I do want a roller.cam hate flat came wear out fast.

2fox

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 11th 2012, 9:32 am

What are your trying to achieve? What car?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 11th 2012, 10:16 am

2fox wrote:Iron school.heads.to anything but the c port is that mean chevy. Exhausted ports?
are.iron heads really any good.?
on budget what's the cheapest.to.better heads in that order.is there.ahead link possibly? I missed.
just saying if p51 out the box.what are the flow.numbers compared.to like.the.edel, TF,
of.only.500 bucks more.for.the better heads I'd good for.that even. I would.like a STD. Exhausted port size not looking to be the baddest car.out there by any means 1/4 er.not even that often.

The best "bang for the buck" heads is probably the SCJ heads from FRPP.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf May 11th 2012, 6:43 pm

The best "budget" option is to watch for some used alum heads or a complete motor. Smoking deals are posted on the site quite often. I paid $2500 for a complete engine/trans with TFS heads. There have been 514/521 in the $4k neighborhood as well. That is the best budget option IMHO.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj May 11th 2012, 8:38 pm

Buying used can be a great money saver or a way to spend a lot of money on a pile of junk. Is very important to know what you are looking at or have the parts inspected before buying. I've seen a lot of stuff sold as ready to run that in reality needed work to be right. Even buying new sometimes stuff is not right.

Best always check or have everything checked and budget some dollars into the price for repair and/or rework.

Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down