BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Pump Q

5 posters

Go down

Fuel Pump Q Empty Fuel Pump Q

Post  Shawn Sexton October 13th 2009, 7:22 am

Hi Guys-

Just signed up to the site.

Had a fuel pump question

I just finished my build- 466/speed pro domes/eagle SIR/comp 294s/offy port-o/proform 950/ported DOVEs Manley 2.25/1.76/Harland sharp rollers (any other info needed?)

Question is I have a holley blue pump, will this be adequate at 110 GPH? or step up to black pump (130GPH? or 1/3 GPM more?)
What do you guys think?
Shawn Sexton
Shawn Sexton

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump Q Empty Re: Fuel Pump Q

Post  Nevs October 13th 2009, 7:27 am

Stock tank and lines or?... Are you experiencing fuel starvation now? How does it presently perform? Drag, Mud, or?
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Shawn Sexton October 13th 2009, 7:33 am

Tank is fabbed aluminum 5 gallon +/-, haven't started the new engine for break in yet, so no trendable info on that yet. All lines are 8 AN fittings and 1/2 alum fuel tubing from pump to regulator, holley regulator that came with the pump. Oh yeah, drag car.

thanks for the input Nevs
Shawn Sexton
Shawn Sexton

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug October 13th 2009, 7:50 am

Shawn you would be surprised what that Blue pump will do one problem I see is the Dead Head regulator....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs October 13th 2009, 7:59 am

Shawn Sexton wrote:Tank is fabbed aluminum 5 gallon +/-, haven't started the new engine for break in yet, so no trendable info on that yet. All lines are 8 AN fittings and 1/2 alum fuel tubing from pump to regulator, holley regulator that came with the pump. Oh yeah, drag car.

thanks for the input Nevs

Sounds like a nice fuel system, but I do agree with Randy on the regulator. Might want to upgrade that and then try it and see how it runs. Keep us posted on the outcome. Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Shawn Sexton October 13th 2009, 8:39 am

Dead head regulator- sounds good to me, what size return line do you normally use?

I would think that would be smaller, would tak some reconfiguring and $$$ to do.

Will research and let you know what I find to spend more money on.

thanks for the help

Shawn

Here's the car

Fuel Pump Q ?action=view&current=Picture188-2-1
Shawn Sexton
Shawn Sexton

Back to top Go down

Post  Shawn Sexton October 14th 2009, 6:47 am

I was looking at bypass regulators and had a thought- is the bypass or return line sourced from the high or low pressure side of the regulator? Could you use a dead head regulator with a return line added w/fittings etc.

I was thinking of adding this line (about3/8" to tank) to the low pressure side

Is a blue pump up to the task of living in a return style system or will it puke out on me?
Shawn Sexton
Shawn Sexton

Back to top Go down

Post  Shawn Sexton October 14th 2009, 7:04 am

http://www.centuryperformance.com/fuelish-tendencies-understanding-fuel-pressure-and-volume-spg-140.html

Found this site- very informative, maybe use as a sticky?
Shawn Sexton
Shawn Sexton

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman October 14th 2009, 10:23 am

I'm running a few more cubes but figured I'd share my experience with my build to maybe shed a little light. I had a dead headed setup using a holley black and 1/2" hard line run up to the regulator and an-8 from there to the carb. On the motor this setup worked fine for power but was miserable in the summer heat with constant fuel boil issues on the street. It'd stall out while rolling along forcing me to ditch into the nearest parking lot. Frustrating! On a small nos shot, I had lean popping in high gear and ceased spraying it so I didn't hurt it. I switched over to an A1000 pump and return style regulator, did an-10 up to the regulator and an-8 return and all my fuel problems went away. Maybe its overkill but I like to spend money once and forget about it.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge October 14th 2009, 2:50 pm

^^^ Ive got the same setup on my 521 and really like it. No fuel issues what so ever.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down